Just got a Limited Edition Eduard MiG-23BN!

Hi guys!

A few weeks back, I found a decent deal on a 1/48 Limited Edition Eduard MiG23-BN, so I ordered it, and it just arrived from Germany today.  It is COOL!  For whatever reason, I seem to find some of these 'oddly shaped' Russian/USSR jets to be really neat.  In fact, thinking back on my younger days, when I used to doodle on my scratch paper or notebooks...and I'm talking around 2, 3, 4th grade...it seems to me that the jets I dreamed up looked a lot like the MiG-23 in particular, and something like the Su-17, too.  So, I just had to get these.  I've now got a Kitty Hawk SU-17/22, and now a MiG-23 (BN).  I'm really excited!  Like I wrote, something about the MiG-23 is just tough looking, with that long low vertical stabilizer. and solid looking fuselage.

I know it's going to be a long way off, but something tells me that I ought to dig right in to building this thing.  And it even has a book as part of the Limited Edition version!!

Probably nobody else thinks this is cool...but I do! 😋

Oh...and the book that came in the box with the model is really cool, also.  Multiple photos of all the jets which the decal sets included in the kit are for...but the bummer is that the text is all in Chech or Polish...so no value in the written word.  Darn!  Does anyone know of any software that can translate to English...and allow scans of the pages using, say, an iPhone's built in camera?  But the pictures are good enough as a modeling resource!

Edited by Curt B
Fix syntax, fix designation of the aircraft in title

How much did you pay? I wish Eduard would sell the decals for their reboxes, because I’d rather just buy the Trumpeter MiG-23 for a lot less and then get the decals and a few aftermarket sets from Eduard.

On 3/3/2020 at 1:30 AM, Curt B said:

...but the bummer is that the text is all in Chech or Polish...

It is of course in Czech language. 

The language problem is the same for me too. I dont know about this book but for the previous Eduard books there was an English translation available on Edu's page for download.   Please have a look.

On 3/3/2020 at 5:39 AM, Vaildog said:

I wish Eduard would sell the decals for their reboxes, because I’d rather just buy the Trumpeter MiG-23 for a lot less and then get the decals and a few aftermarket sets from Eduard.

This is a business question. A special kind of marketing. You have a special product (in this case Eduard has it) with some extras which are designed specifically for this product (both the book and the decal).

The point of this extras is to sell this product. It is a special selling point. Yes, at a higher price. But it is an extra product.

Some would not agree to some of the business practices of particular manufacturers but this special set is based on this.

Some of the extra Edu books have been available on the makers webshop but only for the BFC club members just as other special products with in that club system.

I don’t think the decals will be available separately.

Best regards

Gabor

Gabor,

First off, I am so sorry for having mangled the spelling of ‘Czech’, as I pride myself on spelling.  Embarrassing!  I will look at the Eduard site for an English translation of my book.  Thanks for pointing this out!!  

I’ll look up what I paid for Vaildog. For the most part, I try to get at least decent prices on my modeling stuff, but I am fortunate enough to not have to worry excessively about the prices of things, at least for models, accessories, and all the things needed to make ‘good’ models. I am a pretty average at best modeler, so I try, at least, to get my models as accurate as I can make them, hopefully making up, at least a little bit, for my lack of skill and ability.  I know that many people don’t have that luxury and are forced to completely limit their purchases based on price.  I also have, on the way, in addition to the model itself,  the Cold War Studio replacement nose, the Eduard exhaust, and a few other upgrades, which is making my MiG-23BN a really pricey model.  Oh well, at least we have ‘The 48ers’ where we can find these upgrades! 😊

Edited by Curt B
On 3/2/2020 at 8:39 PM, Vaildog said:

How much did you pay? I wish Eduard would sell the decals for their reboxes, because I’d rather just buy the Trumpeter MiG-23 for a lot less and then get the decals and a few aftermarket sets from Eduard.

I paid $85.00 from an EBay seller in Germany, including tax and shipping, which was the best price I could find at the time I was looking.  And it's still the best price right now.  I checked just before posting this.

On 3/4/2020 at 9:01 PM, haneto said:

Why the spell is not MiG-23BN?

That was an error on my part...now fixed.   Thank you for pointing it out.

I believe Curt B. already has the CWS nose set. It is comprehensive with lots of details.

I am in a very awkward situation here. Stenka from Cold War Studios is a good friend but so is Martin from the Czech Ciro company. CWS correction nose is already on sale and has been for some time now. But Ciro is also working on a nose set, but it will be in three versions. A simple nose job, nothing extra just the nose as it is. A detailed one (with cockpit and nose undercarriage bay) with extras and one with panels open to reveal all the black boxes in the nose. The Ciro set is still in CAD stage but it also looks nice. There is no release date for it as far as I know.

LDyiY2o.jpg

Qm1Q4EZ.jpg

hCKHGUH.jpg

Actually if I was ever to build a MiG-23BN it would most probably be one of the US operated airframes from Red Eagles squadron at Tonopah base. It was a real twist in the tail of this Mig. : )  : )

Best regards

Gabor

Gabor,

Do you know if Ciro is planning any MiG-27 noses? I have CWS's MiG-27 Flogger D set and wonder how Ciro's stuff would compare. The Ciro CAD certainly looks nice.

The thing is that the Czech AF did not operate the MiG-27. On the other hand they did have the 23BN. This is why Ciro is making the BN nose and the designer of the Ciro set is the same person as the author of the Edu book in this limited kit. Well he has also written the books on different versions of the MiG-21 also for Edu. He does know a “bit” about his subjects.

But the MiG-27 is far from him as much as from most of us outside Russia (or India as the other user).

Yes, the Ciro CAD looks fantastic!

But.  

I would like to see it in resin also before making judgement.

If things go alright and at the end of April the Moson show 2020 is held against the coronavirus problems then I will ask him. 

Best regards

Gabor

6 hours ago, ya-gabor said:

But the MiG-27 is far from him as much as from most of us outside Russia (or India as the other user).

Thanks. Too bad. Competition spurs improved product. I'll just stick with the CWS set. It is quite good and seems very complete.

12 hours ago, ya-gabor said:

I believe Curt B. already has the CWS nose set. It is comprehensive with lots of details....

Best regards

Gabor

You are correct, Gabor, thanks for pointing that out to 31Tiger.  I haven't gotten any of my MiG-23 aftermarket stuff.  I'm really looking forward to it, though!  

As I've written before, I've focused completely on WWII prop planes, as far as building, and I've taken a bit of a hiatus from them and am now working on completing a Merkava Mk 4M tanks that I'd abandoned when I caught the airplane 'bug'.   I've been pondering what to do next when I'm done with the tank.  I think completing my 3 in-progress airplanes would make the most sense, the 1/48 Tamiya P-38 and the Eduard Hellcat really need to get done, AND the Eduard P-51D that has gotten as far as the cockpit, because they are such great airplanes, and the kits are great, too.  But, I think it's time to start doing a jet plane, as I've not done one of those yet!  Maybe the MiG-23?  Maybe the ICM MiG-25 I have coming?  Maybe the Eduard Mig-21 I have?   I have a lot of US jets. too.  I guess I'd like to pick the easiest of the jets to start with.  We'll see 😊

10 hours ago, Mstor said:

Thanks. Too bad. Competition spurs improved product. I'll just stick with the CWS set. It is quite good and seems very complete.

There are different manufacturers, some know their subject and want to share their knowledge through the sets they produce which are true upgrade kits or corrections. There are others who just want to make money and produce whatever they feel is needed by the market, no matter that they have absolutely no knowledge of the particular subject. Just find something about it on the internet and feel that from then on they are “experts” of it.

What I have seen of Cold War Studios and Ciro is that they do take the time to do real research and go out to take a very close look of the subject if there is a chance for it.

Best regards

Gabor

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/8/2020 at 10:04 PM, ya-gabor said:

There are different manufacturers, some know their subject and want to share their knowledge through the sets they produce which are true upgrade kits or corrections. There are others who just want to make money and produce whatever they feel is needed by the market, no matter that they have absolutely no knowledge of the particular subject. Just find something about it on the internet and feel that from then on they are “experts” of it.

What I have seen of Cold War Studios and Ciro is that they do take the time to do real research and go out to take a very close look of the subject if there is a chance for it.

Best regards

Gabor

I've got Stanislav's MiG23 and MiG27 sets, and have found him one of the friendliest and easiest people to deal with amongst all the  aftermarket producers I have bought from over the years. True gent. Also looking forward to see what the Ciro resin is like too. I have some MiG-23 intakes from a few years back and was very impressed with the quality. Just glad these two are providing these sets for us, and will continue to support them 🙂

• 11 months later...
On 3/7/2020 at 2:51 AM, ya-gabor said:

I believe Curt B. already has the CWS nose set. It is comprehensive with lots of details.

I am in a very awkward situation here. Stenka from Cold War Studios is a good friend but so is Martin from the Czech Ciro company. CWS correction nose is already on sale and has been for some time now. But Ciro is also working on a nose set, but it will be in three versions. A simple nose job, nothing extra just the nose as it is. A detailed one (with cockpit and nose undercarriage bay) with extras and one with panels open to reveal all the black boxes in the nose. The Ciro set is still in CAD stage but it also looks nice. There is no release date for it as far as I know.

LDyiY2o.jpg

Qm1Q4EZ.jpg

hCKHGUH.jpg

Actually if I was ever to build a MiG-23BN it would most probably be one of the US operated airframes from Red Eagles squadron at Tonopah base. It was a real twist in the tail of this Mig. : )  : )

Best regards

Gabor

Gabor,

It's been quite some time since last here was any traffic on this thread.  I have the Cold War Studios nose for my MiG-23BN, but still have not touched the model.  Wondering if your friend Ciro has made any headway on his proposed replacement noses for this airplane?

Regards,

Curt

Hi Curt,

Sorry! Have no information about what is going on. I see some posts from him here and there. Know that he has a lot of work and is experimenting with 3D printing and CAD design. But also he is an author of books and has completed a new version of the MiG-21 book for Eduard. The Ciro work was and is a hobby for him as far as I know. Seen that the local audience is also asking him about the 23BN work. It is a big project!

The thing I know he has made is a 72nd MiG-15 special version with big external fuel tank based on the Eduard kit. It is a special local Czech version of the 15, obviously the conversion set is aimed at the local market. 

Best regards

Gabor