1/6 Apollo Lunar Module by Ryan Nagata

Ryan Nagata is an artist from Los Angeles, Calif. After working for years in Hollywood as a director, writer, and prop-builder, Ryan gravitated more towards the art world creating original science-fiction and space-inspired pieces. He is perhaps best known for making some of the most authentic-looking replicas of vintage spacesuits in the world. His suits have been seen in museum exhibits, print ads, TV, and films. Ryan is a frequent collaborator with Adam Savage and has appeared in a number of videos for Tested.com. In 2017, he created many of the costume and prop pieces for the Neil Armstrong biopic First Man, directed by Damien Chazelle and starring Ryan Gosling. He also served as a costume consultant and on-set tech for the film.

The Apollo Lunar Module, or simply Lunar Module (LM, pronounced "lem"), originally designated the Lunar Excursion Module (LEM), was the lander spacecraft that was flown from lunar orbit to the Moon's surface during the U.S. Apollo program. It was the first crewed spacecraft to operate exclusively in the airless vacuum of space, and remains the only crewed vehicle to land anywhere beyond Earth.

Ryan Nagata wrote:

It’s all done except for the contact probes and the docking target which I want to try and model in a program other than Tinkercad (this whole project has been a learning exercise in how to 3D model and print). I did a subtle weathering job with the airbrush along the panel lines. I also installed the lamp parts in the engine bell and it’s turned on in this picture (but hard to tell from this angle). I’ve suspended it temporarily from the mezzanine of my studio so I can balance the weight. All in all it’s the coolest space-themed chandelier ever!

It took a lot of discipline not to pose this 1/6 scale astronaut figure on the leg before the model was completely done. But here it is! Definitely gives a better sense of scale.

49628753501_c76e5ccf84_b.jpg

49628754456_856d8f95e8_b.jpg

49628755361_b51b725ea3_b.jpg

49629027647_61bc920840_b.jpg

Its truly amazing what Ryan Nagata is capable of accomplishing with his talents. Words

whether written or spoken can't begin to describe what this man can create. A Master of

all-things Space related, he has "raised the bar" to an unbelievable and majestic level.

The Underdog

A 1/6 LM ... wow!

I've watch his segments with Adam Savage and am impressed with his suits. His attention to detail is great to see.

But something doesn't look ... quite ... right ... on this LM. I'm hoping its a combination of my poor eyes and parallax of the wide angle shot, but the Ascent Stage seems just a touch out of proportion ... but I'll take a good look at it. That said, I'd be more than proud to have built this myself!

I'll see if this is on his website, I hope it's under Ryan Nagata ...

Thanx for posting this Underdog ... this is great!

Pete

• 4 weeks later...

This would have to be the version that was tested in Earth orbit with James McDivitt and Rusty Schweickart on Apollo 9. All the LEMs that landed on the moon didn’t have the touch probe on the leg with the ladder.

This however, is a work of art and deserves to be in a museum.

Tracy

I don't know which LM he modeled but I don't think it was Apollo 9. LM-3 (aka Spider) did not have the RCS deflectors and had different black/gold patterns on the descent stage.  There was also a prominent scimitar antenna on the front panel between the windows.

600px-Spider_in_Earth_Orbit_-_GPN-2000-0

8 hours ago, Vidar 710 said:

This would have to be the version that was tested in Earth orbit with James McDivitt and Rusty Schweickart on Apollo 9. All the LEMs that landed on the moon didn’t have the touch probe on the leg with the ladder.

This however, is a work of art and deserves to be in a museum.

Tracy

Ryan Nagata wrote:

You’ve probably noticed I’m a bit of a perfectionist. Over the course of this project, my expectations have grown. At first I was happy with something that was just close enough. But the Mylar on the legs started to bother me. The real stuff puffed out a bit in between the tape. Mine didn’t, so I stripped it off and redid it. Just stuck a layer of batting underneath. Looks better now.

It’s all done except for the contact probes and the docking target which I want to try and model in a program other than Tinkercad (this whole project has been a learning exercise in how to 3D model and print). I did a subtle weathering job with the airbrush along the panel lines.

Rob Baldwin wrote:

Since you’ve mentioned you’re a perfectionist - Apollo 11 only had three lunar surface sensing probes. The one on the leg with the ladder was removed since the astronauts thought it could make egress a hassle. It’s kind of a cool story about how the fellas riding the ride got to get in on the design.

The Underdog

Not a bad looking model considering the project was a learning exercise in how to 3D model

and print. As a matter of fact, with just a few tweaks and fixes and this LEM is magnificent!