I started a Kitty Hawk UH-1Y Venom helicopter and just sprayed my first MRP for the interior. I have to say this stuff is nice! It took several light coats to get it to cover the primer good. My question is this. Is the MRP primer worth the extra money or keep using the Dupli Color spray primer that I am using?

MRP paints are quite nice mate,are some months now hat I use some brand' colors and are great.

At short I'll post the progress of my MiG-21 which have the pit,green and light blue sprayed with MRP and the result are a silk-like surfaces.

About the primer...well I sprayed the colors both on the bare plastic of the kit or a light coat of Tamiya grey ( no preference here) without problems,so honestly I don't know what difference will the MRP primer add at the painting process.

Gianni

The lacquer thinners will etch into the plastic so for the purposes of activating the surface you dont need a primer as it will stick. However in model making we dont always use a primer just to activate the surface. Consider the properties of a base colour, do you want it to have shadows (pre shading) or do you want to lighten up the paint more, I found MRP very thin too so a primer paint is even more important as it will shade the final coat of paint.

I always prime my kits when using lacquer paints even the acrylic lacquers. At one time I did nit prime using enamels. I stopped doing that a long time a go. My issue is I prefer the

Dupli-Color spray primers but most of the auto parts stores here only carry the Rustocrap primers. That stuff sucks and is too thick no matter how light I try to spray it. I looked at getting the MRP surface primer but that stuff costs more than the paint does. I would have to buy a bunch of that compared to the stuff I am using now. The Tamiya primers are good but I can get more for less out of the Dupli Color. 

I prime basically to get a consistent color background for the paints I use, a lot of which is MRP. I generally use Tamiya primer or Mr Surfacer 1000. I don't think it necessary to buy MRP's primer. I have not tried spray auto primers for years, but last time I did I found the paint to be very heavy and somewhat thick. Spray primers like Tamiya's go on in nice thin coats.

23 minutes ago, Mstor said:

I prime basically to get a consistent color background for the paints I use, a lot of which is MRP. I generally use Tamiya primer or Mr Surfacer 1000. I don't think it necessary to buy MRP's primer. I have not tried spray auto primers for years, but last time I did I found the paint to be very heavy and somewhat thick. Spray primers like Tamiya's go on in nice thin coats.

You should give the Dupli-Color sandable primers a try. Their nozzle lays it out smooth and thin. Do not go to a regular parts store to look for it. Try a auto parts store that has a paint center in it. I called around today and found that the one store that is closed the one with the paint center shows they have three cans of the black in stock. I will find out tomorrow!

3 hours ago, tosouthern66 said:

You should give the Dupli-Color sandable primers a try. Their nozzle lays it out smooth and thin. Do not go to a regular parts store to look for it. Try a auto parts store that has a paint center in it. I called around today and found that the one store that is closed the one with the paint center shows they have three cans of the black in stock. I will find out tomorrow!

Thanks for the advice, but I'm rather stuck in my ways, having found something that has worked for me for years.

Cheers! :thumbsup:

On 3/8/2020 at 10:36 PM, Mstor said:

Interesting.

Why do you put Tamiya primer over Mr Color Primer?

39 minutes ago, ElectroSoldier said:

Interesting.

Why do you put Tamiya primer over Mr Color Primer?

I must not have been clear. I don't put Tamiya primer over Mr Color Primer. I generally will use one or the other, not both on a single model. Though, I think I may at times use one or the other of the primers on ordnance. Just depends on what I feel like doing. I will usually spray Tamiya primer right out of the can, while I will airbrush Mr Surfacer. Easier to do small details that way.

Does that clear it up? Maybe you misread "I generally use Tamiya primer or Mr Surfacer 1000" as "Tamiya primer on Mr Surfacer 1000."

• 1 month later...

I got my first MRP bottles a couple of weeks ago. Extremely nice, consistency is perfect for airbrushing straight out of the bottle.

Be very careful with the plastic "drop couting" tops (white) though, mine send droplets everywhere everytime I close them - just be careful not to have any painted model around when you do that 😬. Pity because it's much easier to measure volumes than with the other, normal (black) bottle tops. I don't know why they have two different types by the way 🤔

Arnaud

24 minutes ago, arnobiz said:

I got my first MRP bottles a couple of weeks ago. Extremely nice, consistency is perfect for airbrushing straight out of the bottle.

Be very careful with the plastic "drop couting" tops (white) though, mine send droplets everywhere everytime I close them - just be careful not to have any painted model around when you do that 😬. Pity because it's much easier to measure volumes than with the other, normal (black) bottle tops. I don't know why they have two different types by the way 🤔

Arnaud

Thanks for the heads up!. I noticed the different lids and was thinking about buying some flip top caps off of Amazon or something to change them out. I look forward to trying out both brands on my projects.