CD48178- 1/48 B-57 Canberra

CD48178 will be a 1/48 sheet dedicated to the B-57 Canberra in USAF service. Multiple variants, but I would like to emphasize later (post-Vietnam) markings. I am currently working on the drawings so feel free to suggest options to be included.

Ooooooh, been waiting for this one 😁

EB-57B 158DSEG 134DSES Vermont ANG Orange/light grey 

EB-57C 158DSEG 134DSES Vermont ANG Black with white lettering 

EB-57B/E 190DSEG 117DSES Orange/light grey 

EB-57E 4677DSES Orange/light grey 

To name but a few.... 🙂

If you want to know what is already out there:

The Airfix kit features:

Martin B-57B-MA Canberra, US Air Force, 822 BS, 38 BG 52-1577/FS | Laon AB  1966

Martin B-57G-MA Canberra, US Air Force, 13 BS, 8 TFW 53-3865 | Ubon RTAFB  1971

Martin RB-57E-MA Canberra, US Air Force, 6250 CSG, 2 AD 55-4243 | Tan Son Nhut AB  1963

Xtradecal X48-076 features:

Martin B-57B-MA Canberra, South Vietnam Air Force, 52-1541/M | Tan Son Nhut AB 1965 (Silver)

Martin B-57B-MA Canberra, US Air Force, 13 BS, 3 BW 52-1541/M | Yokota AB  1963 (Silver)

Martin B-57C-MA Canberra, US Air Force, 4424 CCTS, 1 TFW 53-3840/FS | MacDill AFB, FL 1971 (SEA Camo)

Martin B-57E-MA Canberra, US Air Force, 55-4257 | Project Flagstaff - Andrews AFB, MD 1960 (white / orange)

Xtradecal X48-077 features:

Martin B-57B-MA Canberra, US Air Force, 71 BS, 38 BW 52-1574/H | Laon AB  1957 (black/red)

Martin B-57G-MA Canberra, US Air Force, 13 BS, 8 TFW 52-1588/FK | Ubon RTAFB  1971 (SEA Camo)

Martin RB-57B-MA Canberra, US Air Force, 13 BS, 405 TFW 52-1567/PV | Clark AFB  1967 (SEA Camo)

Martin RB-57E-MA Canberra, US Air Force, Det. 1, 460 TRW 55-4245 | Patricia Lynn - Tan Son Nhut AB  1970 (Black)

Martin WB-57C Canberra, US Air Force, 58 WRS, 55 RW 53-3944 | Project Clean Sweep III - Kirtland AFB, NM 1964 (silver)

I am not sure what markings are provided in the two Classic Airframes or Collect-Aire boxings.

Edited by Dutch

I owe you, Corey, and a few other folks a good set of WB-57 markings so I will definitely include a couple of options on the sheet regardless of someone else did it or not. I just do not have a big tail WB-57F conversion kit, so may need some help with sizing the tail band when I get to that stage.

On 3/9/2020 at 3:41 PM, KursadA said:

I owe you, Corey, and a few other folks a good set of WB-57 markings so I will definitely include a couple of options on the sheet regardless of someone else did it or not. I just do not have a big tail WB-57F conversion kit, so may need some help with sizing the tail band when I get to that stage.

Kursad,

In that case, will you scale it down to 1/72 eventually?  The Italeri/Testors B-57B/G kit is ever present on eBay and readily available.  Further, the Mach2 RB/WB-57F kit and DBProd/Airmodel  conversions are around.  I had two, just sold one set late last year.  But I could use a set of RB/WB-57F decals in 1/72 as well.

K/r,

Dutch

Edited by Dutch
51 minutes ago, KursadA said:

Thanks for considering me in designing a decal sheet Kursad, I really appreciate it!

As for 1/48 B-57’s, it is the EB-57’s of the Air Guard that I am really after.  I would also be interested in regular attack aircraft as well.

Are the WB-57’s the big wing reconnaissance Canberras?  If so, decals for the big wing aircraft might work better in 1/72.  I think the only big wing option in 1/48 is the Collect Aire kit.  Someone correct me if I’m wrong. 

I’ll comb through my library and see if I can find more inspirational B-57 schemes.  🙂

While I am not sure what "sap sucking" means, it seems to be an important and cherished activity for the Vermont ANG, as they prominently marked their aircraft with reminders of the event. So you will get different sap sucking markings for ADC gray and black VT ANG jets.

UyH8Ksh.jpg

KirXaBh.jpg

21 hours ago, Niels said:

Ooooooh, been waiting for this one 😁

EB-57B 158DSEG 134DSES Vermont ANG Orange/light grey 

EB-57C 158DSEG 134DSES Vermont ANG Black with white lettering 

EB-57B/E 190DSEG 117DSES Orange/light grey 

EB-57E 4677DSES Orange/light grey 

To name but a few.... 🙂

I'd love to see these in 72nd scale as well 😁 Fred K.

Sap Sucking:
When an egotistical and radical environmentalist, commonly known as a hippie or tree hugger, participates in putting his donger inside the sap hole on a tree in order to get the sexual thrill of the sticky, sucking feeling of the sap.

🤣🤣🤣

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.urbandictionary.com/define.php%3fterm=Sap%2bSucking&amp=true

Edited by Whiskey

This doesn't fit your theme so much, but I'd like to see the red/white checkers on black scheme for the RB-57As of the 363rd TRW from Shaw AFB.  The only option now is an old SS sheet in 1/72.  And by extension, markings for the same unit in 1/48 for B-26 Invaders for the ICM kit if it gets released this year.  File that in the back of your head for later. 

Love the other ideas, including the WB-57.  Just wish we had a 1/48 kit option that wasn't C-A. 

Rick L.

Just some very early, incomplete drafts to give you an idea - please do not read too much into these. I will include a couple of Vietnam B-57B's (including 888, the first US jet bomber to deploy bombs in anger), perhaps a B-57G or a Patricia Lynn, postwar jets from VT and 17th DSES, maybe a target tug and the 363TRW Shaw AFB RB-57A suggested by Spruemeister.

b57promos.jpg 

I met a gentleman last summer that shared a few pictures of the WB-57's he backseated while flying out of Japan. Had some really interesting stories about being up there in the upper atmosphere collecting air samples after a Soviet nuclear explosion. If those do become an option on this I will definitely pick up a sheet.

On 3/10/2020 at 10:41 AM, KursadA said:

While I am not sure what "sap sucking" means, it seems to be an important and cherished activity for the Vermont ANG, as they prominently marked their aircraft with reminders of the event. So you will get different sap sucking markings for ADC gray and black VT ANG jets.

LOL...while the "Urban Dictionary" definition of "Sap Sucking" is entertaining enough, I think in relation to VT ANG birds, it might have something to do with Vermont being (or once being...) a large Maple Syrup producer and also the Sap Sucker (Yellow-bellied sap sucker) is a species of woodpecker in the region (hence the bird stencil?). The unit may have had some annual competition or event named as such?

Edited by 82Whitey51