CD48178- 1/48 B-57 Canberra

Folks, I just noticed that the Airfix kit does not include the EB-57 wing pods. Some of the units had cool markings on these pods, and I would like to provide them - but this is somewhat dificult without any dimensional info or actual kit parts. Are these available in any kit, or as aftermarket parts?

LoneStar Models in TX has a 1/48 scale EB-57E conversion set. While Mike is not currently taking new orders, he might for you if you tell him what the project is for.

K/r. Dutch 

Edited by Dutch

If none of the kits include it, it would be great to obtain some dimensions from declassified manuals or a museum aircraft. It is a very simple shape, so it should be pretty straightforward to design a 3D model and upload it to Shapeways for anyone to order. 

It looks like the Great Wall Hobby 1/48 T-33 "Late Type" boxing has these pods! It may be worthwhile to design the drawings to fit these pods as they may be more easily accessible at this time. If anyone has these pods (sprue G) and can snap a couple of quick photos next to a ruler, please send me an email or PM.

10498231z11.jpg

Thanks, Corey - based on the photos I used in my drawings, I would expect these pods to have a 3.6" length and 0.47" diameter (in 1/48 scale). It definitely looks like the GHW T-33 pods are not the right type, even though the shape seems to be OK.

I'm not sure where I got the idea that these were ECM pods - it just on dawned on me that the Canberra had a spacious weapons bay and all the ECM equipment it needed was probably installed there. These pods just have to be AN/ALE-2 chaff dispenser pods. I really need accurate dimensions of these pods - I don't think neither the Lonestar pods nor the GWH kit parts are the dimensionally correct. 

Edit: I think I found the dimensions I needed here - it is pretty close to the dimensions I estimated from the Canberra photos I used to prepare my drawings.

Edited by KursadA

sSWUU49.jpg

Using the dimensions I found in the thread I mentioned, this is the situation - I will design the pod decals to fit the correct dimensions. As you can see in the drawing, the AN/ALE-2 pods in the GWH T-33 kit are too small, while the Lone Star Models pods are a bit too big. I will get in contact with a few folks to ensure that a 3D-printed solution is available at Shapeways.

Edited by KursadA
5 hours ago, KursadA said:

... I will get in contact with a few folks to ensure that a 3D-printed solution is available at Shapeways.

@KursadA, Do you think your 3D source will also reduce the 1:48 EB-57E chaff pods to 1:72 scale as well?  I will buy 2 sets then. K/r, Dutch

Being stuck at home does wonders for productivity - here is what the first B-57 sheet will look like. There is a second sheet (not shown) with national insignia, etc.

This will probably be a May/June release. I will most likely do an early service/Vietnam centric B-57 sheet sometime later in the year or 2021.

cd48178.jpg

Love the 17th DSES Bicentennial scheme, and the two Vermont schemes, AND you even included a straight WB-57C!  Do I detect a 117th DSES Kansas ANG bird also?  Thanks, Kursad!  

wb-57c_53-3851.JPG.7f31127a2f497cf50e6dbf393c9433c4.JPG

Edited by Dutch

O69xr1a.jpg

B-57E 0-54258 advertising "Tiny Tim" for President on paper banner while taxiing back at Edwards open house show.  I forgot if the slide had a year stamp on it.  Lets say '68 since it was an election year. 

Rick L.

FWIW, the AModel 1/144 series of B-57 & Canberra kits all include a sprue with bombs and ALE-2 chaff dispensers.  I hope that you scale the decals down to 1/72 for the Italeri / Testors series of B-57s and then to 1/144 for the A-Model kits.

001.JPG.45acd31b12c8bcf5405713885c6ed090.JPG

Edited by Dutch
  • 1 month later...

The B-57 sheets have been here for a while, and they turned out really nice. This sheet will be part of the next batch of releases, to be shipped in mid-June.

To the best of my knowledge, many of these schemes have not been done to this standard in decal form before - I hope you will like them.

canb4.jpg

canb3.jpg