Caracal Decals models gallery

AMT/Ertl's 1/72 F-100F with dropped slats from Obscureco built as the first Wild Weasel kill using Caracal 72071.  I had actually started this kit at least 10 years earlier with the intent on of cobbling together my own markings.  Then the Wolfpak decals of the subject came out.  I was planning on using those (still good decals) until this set came out.  I honestly debated spending the money for another set of the same subject but glad I did.  

IMG_20190209_164102872.jpg

IMG_20190209_164037697.jpg

IMG_20190209_164144417.jpg

IMG_20190209_164015487.jpg

Thanks everyone. 

The F-100F was officially the first Wild Weasel though the first missions involved hitting the radar vans with rockets or marking it so F-105's could hit it with dumb bombs.  The -100's were shortly followed by F-105F's before the true weasels, F-105G's, showed up on the scene using high tech weaponry.  It's true the Misty FAC missions were dangerous but the Weasels didn't have it much easier.  For a laugh look up the story behind the Wild Weasel acronym YGBSM.  

4 minutes ago, fessSto said:

Thanks everyone. 

The F-100F was officially the first Wild Weasel though the first missions involved hitting the radar vans with rockets or marking it so F-105's could hit it with dumb bombs.  The -100's were shortly followed by F-105F's before the true weasels, F-105G's, showed up on the scene using high tech weaponry.  It's true the Misty FAC missions were dangerous but the Weasels didn't have it much easier.  For a laugh look up the story behind the Wild Weasel acronym YGBSM.  

You Gotta Be Sh...ing Me      The guys that flew these mission has giant steel nads.

• 3 weeks later...

I finally managed to cross the finish line with my NASA F-104G. This is the 1/48 Hasegawa Starfighter with parts from the Daco F-104 upgrade set along with a Verlinden cockpit and ejection seat and Master pitot tube. The Caracal decals worked out great!

Have fun modeling!

Mike

NASA F104G 48_060_MJI04142022 (Large).JPG

NASA F104G 48_062_MJI04142022 (Large).JPG

NASA F104G 48_065_MJI04142022 (Large).JPG

NASA F104G 48_072_MJI04142022 (Large).JPG

Wow - two great builds in one day! I really like both the T-33 and the NASA F-104 : the NASA schemes are never easy to pull off, and the ANG T-33 shows how nice the Hobbycraft kit can be with some TLC. Thanks for sharing!

Crown, an amazing job on your T-bird.  Very subtle shading in an otherwise monochromatic paint scheme.  I echo Kursad's comments.

Mike, your NASA starfighter looks like a photo!  Great display.  Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for the positive feedback everyone! I have 3 or 4 different company's 1/48 NASA F-104 decals in my stash but it was an easy decision to use Kursad's decals for what I wanted as my best representation of a NASA F-104 in this scale. It will be an easy call to use his decals for my 1/72 build!

Thanks Kursad for continuing to create decals for NASA's aircraft fleet. I am so looking forward to your dedicated NASA sheet!

Have fun modeling

Mike

• 5 weeks later...

Kitty Hawk 1/48 FJ-2 Fury with CD 48171: FJ-2 Fury - Part 1.

Just a few touch ups needed. And I had to order another FJ-2 sheet (thanks Kursad for the quick shipping!) for the starboard blue tail band - the first was melted when I knocked a full bottle of Micro Sol (taped to two other bottles) over it.
Used the excellent Hypersonic FJ-2 cockpit and will get another for my China Lake FJ-3 build.

The NMF finish started off with Vallejo Metal Color Aluminum, but I had an endless series of airbrush problems, so a lot of the airframe had to be sanded out and redone with Rub-n-Buff Silver Plate applied with a flat brush and polished with an old t-shirt. In fact, the drop tanks are simply painted with R-n-B. The gear and canopy frames are also R-n-B thinned with paint thinner. They came out nice, so I may just do the Heller RF-84F completely in Rub-n-Buff Silver Plate.

P1010146.JPG

P1010148.JPG

Your FJ-2 looks great! The replacement decals are on the way and you should receive them in a couple of days. When a mishap like this happens, please don't hesitate to email me first - I sometimes have misprinted & smudged decals which may not be sellable overall, but the exact decal element you need might be perfect. 

Looking forward to see the China Lake jet as well. Out of the four FJ-2/3 sheets I have done, CD48172 was  the best seller and I really would like to see a few more early GSB jets as well.