Caracal Decals models gallery

3 hours ago, sierrascale said:

Kitty Hawk 1/48 FJ-2 Fury with CD 48171: FJ-2 Fury - Part 1.

Just a few touch ups needed. And I had to order another FJ-2 sheet (thanks Kursad for the quick shipping!) for the starboard blue tail band - the first was melted when I knocked a full bottle of Micro Sol (taped to two other bottles) over it.
Used the excellent Hypersonic FJ-2 cockpit and will get another for my China Lake FJ-3 build.

The NMF finish started off with Vallejo Metal Color Aluminum, but I had an endless series of airbrush problems, so a lot of the airframe had to be sanded out and redone with Rub-n-Buff Silver Plate applied with a flat brush and polished with an old t-shirt. In fact, the drop tanks are simply painted with R-n-B. The gear and canopy frames are also R-n-B thinned with paint thinner. They came out nice, so I may just do the Heller RF-84F completely in Rub-n-Buff Silver Plate.

P1010146.JPG

P1010148.JPG

wow!  Fantastic looking Fury!  That NMF is fabulous!!!

29 minutes ago, KursadA said:

and I really would like to see a few more early GSB jets as well.

Though I think you mean an early FJ-2 in GSB, I am pedaling hard to get a GSB early FJ-3 done along with NY reserve late -3 and a NMF -2.

6C22AC3F-65F2-4483-A0DC-70A2DC499040.jpeg

Edited by Corey
15 hours ago, KursadA said:

Your FJ-2 looks great! The replacement decals are on the way and you should receive them in a couple of days. When a mishap like this happens, please don't hesitate to email me first - I sometimes have misprinted & smudged decals which may not be sellable overall, but the exact decal element you need might be perfect. 

Looking forward to see the China Lake jet as well. Out of the four FJ-2/3 sheets I have done, CD48172 was  the best seller and I really would like to see a few more early GSB jets as well.

Thanks Kursad for the kind offer; good to know for the next time.

As for the XFJ-2s and XF-2B, it's not been through lack of trying. I spent yesterday afternoon trying remove a 6-3 section and add slats to the Hasegawa Sabre wing. I'm no stranger to sawing up plastic, but this was my third attempt at this. The problem is that the Hasegawa plastic is very brittle and any attempt at scribing and snapping work on the wing has led to cracks "goin' every which way" as they say here in Kentucky.

The ESCI FJ-2/3 is basically an F-86E with a 6-3 scribed slatted wing. Its dark blue plastic is even more brittle than Hasegawa's and I ended up with a box of plastic shards (same with the old ESCI Skyraider). Italeri has reissued it recently, so it might be worth trying again, maybe just forgetting about removing the 6-3 extension.

The new Airfix F-86F-40 is a possibility. I have one coming and since it already has separate slats, it just needs the 6-3 and wingtip extensions removed. I did spend some time cursing all the kit makers who have absolutely refused to make a Korean War F-86A or F-86E with the slatted non-6-3 wing; maybe Airfix will be the first down the road...  (Anyway, not sure why I'm obsessed with this because who really cares).

Bob at Sierra Scale in Louisville

16 hours ago, Corey said:

Though I think you mean an early FJ-2 in GSB, I am pedaling hard to get a GSB early FJ-3 done along with NY reserve late -3 and a NMF -2.

6C22AC3F-65F2-4483-A0DC-70A2DC499040.jpeg

Wow, so cool Corey. Hey, didn't you already do one in reserve orange and white?

I sure hope Trumpeter/Hobby Boss reissues both Furies sooner rather than later (or not at all). Kicking myself for not picking up a half dozen of each when they were going for MSRP, and not $150+ now on ebay. 

3 hours ago, sierrascale said:

Wow, so cool Corey. Hey, didn't you already do one in reserve orange and white?

I sure hope Trumpeter/Hobby Boss reissues both Furies sooner rather than later (or not at all). Kicking myself for not picking up a half dozen of each when they were going for MSRP, and not $150+ now on ebay. 

yup, did an orange and white FJ-2, it’s posted around here somewhere.  

I imagine the Furies will be rereleased eventually along with other Kitty Hawk subjects.

Could you post some more photos of your FJ-2 Bob?  I’d love to see some more.  I see you modeled the slats retracted, was that a pretty straight forward modification?

19 hours ago, Corey said:

yup, did an orange and white FJ-2, it’s posted around here somewhere.  

I imagine the Furies will be rereleased eventually along with other Kitty Hawk subjects.

Could you post some more photos of your FJ-2 Bob?  I’d love to see some more.  I see you modeled the slats retracted, was that a pretty straight forward modification?

I'll take some more photos of the FJ-2 today; I thought I have some photos the cockpit in progress somewhere.

As for the retracted slats: while looking at photos in the Ginter book for the correct folded wing angle, I noticed that the slats on these aircraft were not fully deployed, but not fully closed either, just slightly open. So I didn't do anything fancy in shortening the retraction arms,  just clipped off most of the arms and rounded off the stubs with a sanding stick. Looks fine as little can be seen.

Bob in Louisville  

• 3 weeks later...

Airfix's new 1/48 slatted F-86F-40 kit turned into the XFJ-2B by removing the wingtip extensions and using the markings from CD 48172 FJ-2 Fury, Part 2. I didn't remove the 6-3 extension as that's beyond my skill level or patience. I did add a spare Hasegawa F-86F cockpit tub/instrument panel/stick and a KMC resin ejection seat. The cannon port panels are the spares from the Kitty Hawk FJ-3 kit. Finished in Polly Scale RR CSX New Image Blue, which is my new favorite glossy sea blue.

This Airfix kit is not up to the level of detail and ease of build as their Mustang. It required a lot of sanding, especially the new slatted wing parts. The slats were warped and the retracting arms themselves refused to seat into the slots in the leading edge, so I clipped off most of the retraction arms and sanded the interior of the slats flat, gluing them down (which fixed the warping problem) to just show the slats slightly popped out. I think I'm through bothering with slats popped out on Sabres and will just use the scribed Hasegawa F-86F-40 wing as is or scribe them into the wings.

P1010169.JPG

P1010170.JPG

P1010171.JPG

P1010172.JPG

Edited by sierrascale
clarity

I love the shade blue and matte finish of your FJ.  The question is where are you getting these Polly Scale paints now?  Unless you can find some odds and ends at stores, I though they were discontinued?

Rod.

16 hours ago, Rod D said:

I love the shade blue and matte finish of your FJ.  The question is where are you getting these Polly Scale paints now?  Unless you can find some odds and ends at stores, I though they were discontinued?

Rod.

EBay or look at some model train stores online. I had stocked up on Polly Scale when my LHS was clearing them at $1 each. Also bought a bunch of 6-pack Aeromaster Warbird colors from some guy on ebay, then went back and bought some more. So, I have a lifetime supply, except for black and white, which I've been scouring eBay for.

10 hours ago, KursadA said:

Simply great - I really like the way the white stencilling looks on the GSB aircraft, and it is great to see one the of the prototype/eval jets built.

Thanks Kursad. Your decals are the best, easy to apply and very opaque on the dark blue.

4 hours ago, sierrascale said:

EBay or look at some model train stores online. I had stocked up on Polly Scale when my LHS was clearing them at $1 each. Also bought a bunch of 6-pack Aeromaster Warbird colors from some guy on ebay, then went back and bought some more. So, I have a lifetime supply, except for black and white, which I've been scouring eBay for.

Sometimes this can get pricey.   I bought a jar of Floquil Old Silver on the Bay and paid $20 for it!   Such is my love of Old Silver for natural metal paint finishes.

BTW - Fantastic job on your Fury.  I have plans to build this same plane.

Edited by Drifterdon

Those of you who get the Kitlinx newsletter will find a photo of a superb 1/72 Monogram AD5 with Caracal decals (not my model).  Kitlinx asks modelers to submit photos of their efforts and this week has the Skyraider with our favorite decals.  Really good.  

• 2 weeks later...

Here's the now-classic AMT/Ertl/Esci 1/72 scale KC-135A Stratotanker done up with Caracal's decals. I liked the Fairchild scheme that came in the kit, so that's why I went with Caracal's much better rendition of the "Seahawks" logo. Enjoy!

DSCN0405.JPG

DSCN0402.JPG

Here is my just completed tribute build of Shell 77 using the 1/144 Minicraft KC-135R, Paul Fishers resin nose replacement and Caracal's KC-135R Stratotanker decals.   Shell 77 was lost in May 2013 when it broke up in flight over Kyrgyzstan.  My apologies for the poor lighting.

20220818_141334.thumb.jpg.c290ed308d8b85a5a68e5a3f2c614a9f.jpg

20220818_141548.thumb.jpg.d1318551028180ec300bc20b1e447803.jpg

20220818_141414.thumb.jpg.cb34fdb6d44b13de770ad0c4bc2d1f3d.jpg

20220818_142022.thumb.jpg.6ea1d5f02049484893c7b199f06066e6.jpg

Edited by Drifterdon