Caracal Decals models gallery

Here's Revell/Monogram's 1/72 scale F-104C from the Vietnam war. I used Gunze Mr. Color lacquers and Caracal's decal sheet for "My Darlin' Dorothy," the third model in my collection with my wife's name on it! Built this kit on Monday, painted on Tuesday, decaled on Wednesday, and final assembly today.

DSCN0406.JPG

5 hours ago, Paul Boyer said:

Here's Revell/Monogram's 1/72 scale F-104C from the Vietnam war. I used Gunze Mr. Color lacquers and Caracal's decal sheet for "My Darlin' Dorothy," the third model in my collection with my wife's name on it! Built this kit on Monday, painted on Tuesday, decaled on Wednesday, and final assembly today.

DSCN0406.JPG

Nice one Paul! You are a building machine! In a few years, that's where I hope to be; two kits a week!

• 1 month later...
21 hours ago, KursadA said:

Great looking Texan - I had heard the kit was difficult to build, but it looks great in 50's USAF markings.

You’re amazing decals were the cherry on top! They were a dream to work with.  Well, except for those tiny stencils that kept sticking to my fat fingertips.  :clap2:  But that was a me problem.  Not a decal issue. 

Paul's recent entry reminded me that I had been wanting to post these pictures for a while.  Coincidentally, I also used Monogram 's 1/72 F-104C with Caracal's F-104 in Vietnam set.  It's too bad Monogram went out of business shortly after releasing this kit.  I think it was a high-water mark for them.  One of the best kits I've ever assembled.  

IMG_20221001_134655117.jpg

IMG_20221001_134714249.jpg

IMG_20221001_134747221.jpg

IMG_20221001_134946527.jpg

I really like that kit, too. But I don't think it was a Monogram original. Revell in Germany reissued it and a G (German) model AND a two-seater. It may have been based on the Monogram 1/48 kit but I don't know that for sure. I think it may have been done in Korea as did some of Monogram's and Revell's other kits about that time.

Just finished this one up over the weekend. The Caracal Models decals went down beautifully! 

If building a Fury (or F-86, or any aircraft with airbrakes) be sure to make note ahead of time to how/where to cut the decals that will bisec the doors if posing them open.

Paint is MRP Gloss Sea Blue, and I sealed everything up and brought it all together with a coat of Testors Semi Gloss lacquer.

IMG_6552.JPG

IMG_6555.JPG

IMG_6558.JPG

IMG_6559.JPG

On 10/1/2022 at 4:15 PM, Paul Boyer said:

I really like that kit, too. But I don't think it was a Monogram original. Revell in Germany reissued it and a G (German) model AND a two-seater. It may have been based on the Monogram 1/48 kit but I don't know that for sure. I think it may have been done in Korea as did some of Monogram's and Revell's other kits about that time.

Thanks for the history, Paul.  I didn't know that.

Great looking F-104s - and that FJ-2!! I have been hoping to see more Furies in GSB; and now they keep coming one after another!

My later Navy A-1 and A-4 sheets featured cut-outs for national insignia on the airbrakes, and I will make sure they are also there on the common stencilling sheet for the upcoming F-86 series.

Super looking Fury, love the Dark Sea Blue!!

I am about to embark on the Kittyhawk 1/32 Texan, glad to know its going to be a challenge......UGH!  I was hoping it would be a straight forward build for once...I guess not

Oh well "Fights On"!!  LOL

Dan

14 hours ago, YF65_CH53E said:

Super looking Fury, love the Dark Sea Blue!!

I am about to embark on the Kittyhawk 1/32 Texan, glad to know its going to be a challenge......UGH!  I was hoping it would be a straight forward build for once...I guess not

Oh well "Fights On"!!  LOL

Dan

Dan, couple of tips. Don’t add the engine to the cockpit frame as shown.  I tossed out everything in front of the cockpit bulkhead and behind the engine firewall.  Can’t be seen anyway.  
The back top half of the fuselage sits too low.  I didn’t realize it until I had it glued down.  Needs to be shimmed up a little higher with some .010 styrene. 
Mike West did a good landing gear correction write up.   They need to be moved outward about 3/32” each side. It’s on LSP. 
EDIT: Forgot to add leave the cockpit “roll bar” off until you’re ready to install the cockpit glass or you’ll keep snagging it and possibly break it accidentally. 

Edited by Scott Smith

Here's one that spent close to 7 years sitting nearly forgotten in a box in a closet and recently completed - Trumpeter's 1/48 JF-17 Thunder, using Caracal Decals, which went down well.  I used a Wolfpack Designs update set (resin exhaust, ejection seat and color PE), some minor scratch-building, including some wheelwell detail, barrels for the twin 23-mm cannon and intake FOD covers.  The PL-7 and PL-12 missiles were in the kit, and the GBU-12 Paveways came from the spares box.  I modified a LANTIRN pod to look more like a Chinese WMD-7 targeting pod as well.  The pod pylon was a piece of styrene sanded to shape.  Weathering was with Abtiellung 502 oils. I think its a decent enough kit, with good detail and good fit.  I think the dark shade across the fuselage top is too dark, the Pakistani roundels almost disappear against the paint.   Oh well.  It was a fun project and something not seen often.  Any flaws are of my own making.

https://flic.kr/p/2nRi7ph

https://flic.kr/p/2nRjfUF

https://flic.kr/p/2nRi7mS

https://flic.kr/p/2nRi7m6

https://flic.kr/p/2nRe4r4