Caracal Decals models gallery

On 12/3/2020 at 1:08 AM, AD-4N said:

In my humble opinion, the YF-23 is not an attractive aircraft

Aw c'mon, it's got a few good angles! And thank you.

On 12/2/2020 at 10:39 PM, Dutch said:

Wow Paul!  Very nice dynamic duo there!

Thanks Dutch!

Calling It done here...

1/48 YF-16, prototype No. 1. Modified Hasegawa early F-16A (Thunderbirds boxing) with an Otaki nose convinced into place. Decals are the recent Caracal release (of course...) and they went down very nicely! The seat is Phase Hangars excellent A-4 ESCAPAC seat.

I used the Otaki horizontal stabs, shortened the intake some, shortened the wingspan and cord just a bit, and modified the tail pipe.

Paints are Tamiya Gloss White (X-2) over Tamiya Fine White primer, Gunze Aqueous Red (H3), and the blue is Tamiya Royal Blue (x-3). I sealed it up with a coat of Testors Semi Gloss lacquer.

Plenty of warts but I'm happy enough with the outcome. I plan to build another (01568) and I think I'll try using the entire Otaki forward fuselage, from about the aft cockpit bulkhead forward. Trying to get the nose (here just forward on the cockpit on to the tip) to play proved the hardest bit of work and I'm still not 100% satisfied with the profile...not to mention breaking off the pitot more than once during the build. 

IMG-1739.jpg

IMG-1740.jpg

IMG-1741.jpg

IMG-1742.jpg

Wow - really nice!. It's great to see one of the YF-16s built. I really like how it turned out - excellent work. I was curious to see how some of the structural details I represented as decals (the small grilles next to the ejection seat warning triangle on the port side, etc.) and the stencilling would look on a finished model.

It would be nice to learn more about the mods you had to do. Also, please let me know if you have any suggestions on the decals to improve the reprints in the future..

5 hours ago, KursadA said:

Wow - really nice!. It's great to see one of the YF-16s built. I really like how it turned out - excellent work. I was curious to see how some of the structural details I represented as decals (the small grilles next to the ejection seat warning triangle on the port side, etc.) and the stencilling would look on a finished model.

It would be nice to learn more about the mods you had to do. Also, please let me know if you have any suggestions on the decals to improve the reprints in the future..

Thank you...and thank you for putting out this sheet!

The decals performed great. I used Micro Set throughout, and Sol on a couple of areas.

• One of the first things I looked for on your sheet was those small grills/openings next to the cockpit...because I did not want to have to mess with making those! So that was a good call. The option is there for the modeler to trim them away and make them if he or she wants to but the decal gives a great representation of them.
  • The black walk way lines and a set of dividers worked out just fine for making those.
  • The stencils all went down very well, including the small red lettered one on the starboard side intake. I trimmed it close and it fit in there fine.
  • I would note that the underside blue pattern is different between 01567, and 01568 (on 01568 the aft end comes to a point).
  • One thing I was looking for was a dimension for the white band on the tail where the "GENERAL DYNAMICS" and "YF-16" is placed. It was easy enough for me to cut out the decals prior to masking, and place them on the tail to give me an idea of how much white to leave...as I'm sure it would be for most modelers but 15mm is what I went with there.

Again, great sheet, and I'll be building another sometime in the future.

Edited by 82Whitey51

Wow Andy!  Beautiful build!  Excellent, excellent, excellent. It looks like you could just hop in and take her for a spin!  And what a setting!  The simulated oil stains and tire wear marks on your simulated tarmac only add to the realism!  Alas, I also note your fine collection of Spruebrothers postcards in the background.  I see you are on their frequent buyer list as well.  😎  Congratulations for a job well done, sir!  Kind regards, Dutch

Edited by Dutch
23 hours ago, Dutch said:

Wow Andy!  Beautiful build!  Excellent, excellent, excellent. It looks like you could just hop in and take her for a spin!  And what a setting!  The simulated oil stains and tire wear marks on your simulated tarmac only add to the realism!  Alas, I also note your fine collection of Spruebrothers postcards in the background.  I see you are on their frequent buyer list as well.  😎  Congratulations for a job well done, sir!  Kind regards, Dutch

Thanks, man! Haaahaaa...yup, going for a little retro 70s diorama set there. I do need to build my self a little portable photo "booth" and take (or try to take) decent photos.

Edited by 82Whitey51

Finished.  I wrote an article for ARC, so sometime this winter perhaps more gallery photos will appear.  1/48 Monogram NF-4D, Edwards AFB, 1986 courtesy of our favorite decal artist.

3uUV3xb.jpg

15 hours ago, AD-4N said:

Finished.  I wrote an article for ARC, so sometime this winter perhaps more gallery photos will appear.  1/48 Monogram NF-4D, Edwards AFB, 1986 courtesy of our favorite decal artist.

Super nice job on the old Monogram kit.   Always amazed at how nicely they build up.  :thumbsup:

On 12/9/2020 at 8:01 PM, AD-4N said:

3uUV3xb.jpg

I thought this was supposed to be pictures of models!  😁  Absolutely stunning

Geoff M