Academy F-4 J US Navy 1/48

Hello,

Here goes my latest project, entering the “phabulous” Phantom World. I’ve chosen the Academy kit because I’ve read some good reviews about it. But, I must say it wasn’t a flawless building. I’ve encountered a few issues like a step between the fuselage and the metallic tail cone. Hard to sand there without damaging a lot of details. And also some, IMHO, engineering issues regarding the landing gear bays and legs. These last ended up being slightly off the vertical, unless the real bird is like that, which I doubt. Anyway, perhaps I may have caused some of this problems, but, in the end, I’m quite satisfied with the result. 

Weathering was a balance between the beginning and the end of a cruise, so not that dirty…
Hope you enjoy!

Cheers!68MVkE0.jpg0w9GclD.jpgwjnAclu.jpgDKtngtB.jpgxdBUOCx.jpgt777jRo.jpgt777jRo.jpgFzNCUuH.jpgU78boho.jpgdV3SmbN.jpgIBZQm6m.jpgVrOLei3.jpgOd3nBxF.jpgX1oQ0rC.jpggNXqSXq.jpg

On 3/12/2020 at 9:52 PM, The Underdog said:

George,

Nicely rendered "Jolly Rogers" Phantom. Superb application of the grime and weathering,

and the supporting paint job. Really like the engine exhaust nozzles and how you managed

to make them look like the real-deal.

Thank you! As for the exhaust area, I tried to replicate the effects of the early engines, that generated a lot of smoke; only from the late 70's they were replaced by smokeless ones. That's why I didn't use too many shades of blue or yellow in the area, but most dark grey or black. Bonus? It was easier.....!

5 hours ago, George Guimaraes said:

Thank you! As for the exhaust area, I tried to replicate the effects of the early engines, that generated a lot of smoke; only from the late 70's they were replaced by smokeless ones. That's why I didn't use too many shades of blue or yellow in the area, but most dark grey or black. Bonus? It was easier.....!

I've had a love affair with the McDonnell Douglas F-4 Phantom II for quite some time.

I know the aircraft pretty well, and can tell you did a splendid job on this one. Also, I'm

not "crippled" with thinking a scale model having to be perfect - as we all know there's

no such thing. Any modeler or fan will find something that could've been done better

or different. So, congratulations on your efforts with this fine looking model of one of

the most iconic 'Fighters' of all-time... the F-4 Phabulous Phantom!

1 hour ago, The Underdog said:

I've had a love affair with the McDonnell Douglas F-4 Phantom II for quite some time.

I know the aircraft pretty well, and can tell you did a splendid job on this one. Also, I'm

not "crippled" with thinking a scale model having to be perfect - as we all know there's

no such thing. Any modeler or fan will find something that could've been done better

or different. So, congratulations on your efforts with this fine looking model of one of

the most iconic 'Fighters' of all-time... the F-4 Phabulous Phantom!

Well, thank you very much. Words like that coming from someone really familiar with this iconic bird are surely very welcome!

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with Ron, beautiful Phantom. Love the hi-viz schemes. Would love to do an F-4B in one of the early colorful schemes, but I have too many in the stash already. Anyway, I'd never do as well as you have with the J. Well done Sir!

10 hours ago, Mstor said:

I agree with Ron, beautiful Phantom. Love the hi-viz schemes. Would love to do an F-4B in one of the early colorful schemes, but I have too many in the stash already. Anyway, I'd never do as well as you have with the J. Well done Sir!

Thank you! Those really colorful jets were something else. Not the boring grey scheme we have these days. Furthermore, since most kills today are or will be beyond visual range, maybe cammo patterns will not be so crucial. Just thinking....