F-15E tinted front canopy?

Hello,

Would anyone know what's the rule for Strike Eagles front canopies when it comes to tinting? I find some pictures where it's clearly tinted vs the main canopy, some where it seems as clear as the main canopy 🤔

Thanks a ton in advance!!

Arnaud

Tinted:

1000w_q95.jpg

Non-tinted:

1000w_q95.jpg

It’s definitely not tinted.  You are seeing some lighting tricks in the first picture and sunlight through the HUD can give you some neat colors, but the canopy glass itself is clear.   

Steve

Edited by Falconxlvi

I flew the jet for seven years before AESA radars - no tint.   Looking again at those pics, which are very recent (the 389th pics) it looks like there may be a new windscreen associated with the AESA radar mod.   Interesting 

Steve

TjCScJk.jpg

Edited by Falconxlvi

I’ve looked at a lot of pics, including all my old pics from Mountain Hope and Seymour 2010-2016- the windscreens are clear.  This is something new and best guess is it’s related to the new radar, although I have seen some pics of AESA jets with clear windscreens too (like the 391st jets below, pictured right after mod in 2017) 

4j2ZTmq.jpg

Might be something happening over the last 2-3 years.   It looks like the timeframe of the jet you are modeling matters.  Hope this helps.  Thanks for pointing that out everyone!

Edited by Falconxlvi
10 hours ago, Falconxlvi said:

I flew the jet for seven years before AESA radars - no tint.   Looking again at those pics, which are very recent (the 389th pics) it looks like there may be a new windscreen associated with the AESA radar mod.   Interesting 

Steve

Thank you Steve. I did not mean to challenge your knowledge in any way, it just looked too strong an effect to be a sunlight thing. I'm indeed building a 389th Strike Eagle, which is how I came across this effect 🙂

Arnaud

2 hours ago, arnobiz said:

Thank you Steve. I did not mean to challenge your knowledge in any way, it just looked too strong an effect to be a sunlight thing. I'm indeed building a 389th Strike Eagle, which is how I came across this effect 🙂

Arnaud

Oh no worries, I was actually surprised to see this after looking some recent pictures.  I learned something new 👍🏻

Edited by Falconxlvi

I read an online article somewhere that there is concern about an increasing cancer rate for crews of fighter aircraft because of radar emissions. That is why the canopies are tinted on certain aircraft to reflect electronic emissions such as the EA-6B and E-2.  I think the windscreen is tinted to reflect radar emissions and will probably become more common.  

2 hours ago, efd327 said:

I read an online article somewhere that there is concern about an increasing cancer rate for crews of fighter aircraft because of radar emissions. That is why the canopies are tinted on certain aircraft to reflect electronic emissions such as the EA-6B and E-2.  I think the windscreen is tinted to reflect radar emissions and will probably become more common.  

I was thinking same thing.  Maybe the radiation associated with the new radar is higher than the old one?   Could also be a measure to (slightly) reduce frontal radar returns, since a cockpit is a great radar reflector.    

Looking back on some pics I took at OSH 16 I have a pic of an A-10C with a tinted front canopy like that (the side panels that is. The front one is still tinted blue/green). I wonder if this is going to be a thing with tactical aircraft with in the US armed forces