Do you have enough toilet paper?

1 hour ago, Whiskey said:

HEB, the Texas based grocery store here, released a statement asking it's customers to not be hoarders and buy up not just all the toilet paper but other items as well. Said to please be considerate of others. This "$hit" is out of control.

The stores around here have a limit of two for TP, wipes, rubbing alcohol, Lysol, etc.  Limits are what works, not depending on people to be considerate to others.

17 hours ago, Charlie D. said:

The news I read on the Hill (a right leaning site) said 250 died in Italy in the last 24 hours, up from 200 in the previous 24 hours. 

while I believe Iran and China have not been transparent in their reporting, Italy and Korea  have been. Italy is near a breaking point having to decide who gets treatment and who doesn’t. Who lives and who dies. Italy has the highest elderly population in Europe, in percentages similar to the US. For a country that cherishes our elders and our greatest generation I’m appalled at those who think it’s “just the flu” 

Koreans have been testing 10,000  A day to get ahead of this, and have started to see their cases drop in the last few days. We’ve tested less than 7,000 across the whole country since this started. 

while shutting down travel from China was the right call, we the wasted the extra time we had and failed to ramp up testing and prepare for it here. 

It was rigth, yesterday we had 250 died in Italy . Age is a factor. But also the way you count  them: most who died have already several other ill factors, so coronavirus is the ice on the cake. We are not to de point of deciding who will be treated in ICU, but we could get there if we are able to stop the virus spreading around. A lot of people who got covid19, is at home, recovering from it with "only" fever, headache and so on. But it easy develops into pneumonia. To stop the spreading, we must stay at home. Wher I live, a small town of 95.000, the silence is unreal. I hear more ambulances  than regular cars. we count 15 died a day. Life is going on, but it' s no fun.

I've got a pack of six rolls to get me by till the end of next month. Just me and the cat, and he don't use much! 

I figure some idiot was setting with a warehouse full of tissue and no way to get rid of it. Of course, if I run out I'll just go to the VFW, as the got a hundred rolls or more!

Gary

6 hours ago, Mstor said:

The shelves were stripped bare. What is wrong with people. Don't they have any consideration for others? No, they just want to hoard for themselves. What about us disabled who can't get out as much and can't go searching from store to store. By the time I've gone through one store, I am in too much pain to go anywhere but home.

The only social media I do is Tumblr and the disability & chronic illness community there has an attitude which can be summed up as "You brainless self-absorbed panic-driven idiots are exhibit A for what is irredeemably defective about America, it's not caused by "Them", it's caused by YOU!!! You think WE are the defective people? Haha, you have just shown the world that the truly defective people are YOU! How about leaving some things for those who HAVE TO have extra all day every day every year, but, no, you CAN'T do that, you are totally incapable of thinking about anyone beyond yourself!" 

4 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

The stores around here have a limit of two for TP, wipes, rubbing alcohol, Lysol, etc.  Limits are what works, not depending on people to be considerate to others.

Completely agree, last night we were at Walmart doing our weekly grocery shopping and

the Toilet Paper/Paper Towel aisle was completely empty. I asked a team member when

the next shipment was due to arrive, and he said tomorrow at 2:00pm. He shared 2 things,

as soon as it gets here, people buy it all-up and he suggested talking to the manager and

asking him to set-up a Limit on how much folks can buy, as I had suggested. In times like

these, people are going to copy what others are doing - and don't really care about anyone

else but themselves, sad but true. "Stores and managers setting Limits is the thing to do!"

1 hour ago, southwestforests said:

The only social media I do is Tumblr and the disability & chronic illness community there has an attitude which can be summed up as "You brainless self-absorbed panic-driven idiots are exhibit A for what is irredeemably defective about America, it's not caused by "Them", it's caused by YOU!!! You think WE are the defective people? Haha, you have just shown the world that the truly defective people are YOU! How about leaving some things for those who HAVE TO have extra all day every day every year, but, no, you CAN'T do that, you are totally incapable of thinking about anyone beyond yourself!" 

Well, I wouldn't go that far, but close enough. :whistle:

Fortunately, my old lady found some T-paper online at Office Depot. Some sort of off brand. Probably the industrial strength stuff you find in bathrooms in stores and office buildings. At least its something and enough to get us through the next month at least. Where I'm going to put it all I don't know.

Office Depot, go figure :dontknow:

Edited by Mstor
10 minutes ago, The Underdog said:

Stores and managers setting Limits is the thing to do!

The store I went to, that was out, had a limit of three for T-paper, hand sanitizer, etc., but they still ran out in a day. At least the Walmart knew when they would get more. I asked a number of people at the store if they knew when they would get more, but not one of them had a clue.

Just for the entertainment value, I checked on eBay and sure enough, there are people as over $200 for a package of toilet paper.  When I lived in Florida, there were hefty fines levied on people that price gouged. More states need to look into doing that. eBay should be shutting the gougers down. Fortunately one can ignore eBay. When you are in the middle of an area devastated by a hurricane and you need water, food and other essentials, gougers can make life very difficult.

16 hours ago, Mstor said:

I'm sorry, but I'm pissed. Lizard brain driving people to irrational behavior. Pretty soon people will be getting shot for a roll of toilet paper. I just wanted at least one package of T-paper cause I'm getting low. Oh well, got plenty of old paperback books. Guess we can start tearing those up.

Hop in the shower and wash yourself that way if you are out of TP.

I spent $65 today and ordered a bidet toilet seat...you hit a button and a little sprayer comes out and rinses that area clean.  I used one at a hotel a year ago and it was brilliant.

16 hours ago, Mstor said:

The regular surgical masks you see everyone using will protect against droplet contamination. They won't stop virus size stuff. Medical staff use the regular type when there is a possibility of droplet contamination, which in a hospital or doctor's office is prevalent with people coughing, sneezing, etc., but these masks do not fit fit snugly, so air can pass in around the mask. N95 surgical masks fit snugly and are better at preventing droplet and particulant contamination down to the 0.3 micron level. Even these, though, are not a guarantee that one won't get exposed. for more info, see here:

https://www.fda.gov/medical-devices/personal-protective-equipment-infection-control/n95-respirators-and-surgical-masks-face-masks

OK....this makes much more sense.  Thanks!!

7 hours ago, SBARC said:

Hop in the shower and wash yourself that way if you are out of TP.

I spent $65 today and ordered a bidet toilet seat...you hit a button and a little sprayer comes out and rinses that area clean.  I used one at a hotel a year ago and it was brilliant.

They’re awesome, the don’t eliminate the need entirely for TP, but they do reduce it! 

14 hours ago, Mstor said:

Just for the entertainment value,

As Mstor said, just for the entertainment value, I'm willing to trade half a dozen of TP for a Fujimi 1/72 A-4E/F!!!🤪

If you got more than one, that's even better!!!🤣 (geez, I crack myself up)

Not in the medical field per se, but I fly an air ambulance helicopter. The limited education we have gotten isn't much but this is important...

The masks Dr's and Nurses wear regularly, is to protect others from THEM, not THEM from others. The N95, if fitted properly on a clean shaven face will protect THEM from OTHERS.

When everyone hoards masks and wear them fit incorrectly it can increase their OWN risk of getting ill, as you may get virus inside the mask and keep breathing that. The fitting process for N95 masks isn't a trivial put it on in a flash thing, it takes a while to fit it properly.

Hoarding anything is stupid and causes panic, Stocking your pantry for a couple of weeks, and limiting your time outside seem like a good idea, and I will do that when I go home from shift.

Cheers.

Interesting comment from a Yahoo page, at least after having been in general retail with F.W. Woolworth at the long gone store at the also long gone Blue Ridge Mall in KCMO,

TommyP 14 hours ago

I am a manager for a grocery store and we have limits on paper products as well as cleaners and water. Even so we can not keep up with the restocking and demand. The wearhouse are getting in non stop shipments but the customers keep coming for more. It is to the point where the manufacturer and distributors are putting restrictions on the amounts of products that go out to the stores in order to be fair to as many stores and customers as possible. As this issue continues the transportation system and order pickers are getting further and further behind meaning they will have to start cancelling deliveries to catch up. The problem is not just with non perishable items either. Milk and bread are struggling too. The bakers have to dedicate their ovens to single products to keep up meaning some varieties will be out of stock for a while. We could order hundreds more milk however there is no way for stores to hold the product in refrigeration. Even if we could put a refrigerated trailer at the stores to hold the product then they would have less trailers for deliveries. Simply are not enough resources for everyone. I would like to express a thank you to all of the customers who still remain pleasant and understanding during these issues. Also thank you to all of my team members for your hard work and the sacrifices you have had to make during this time.

The way I see it, that is the core takeaway,

"...  Simply are not enough resources for everyone. ..."

For instance, I wonder how much of it is simply that in the county seat farm burg where I live, of population around 10,000 or so, there simply are not enough stores, and not enough warehoused backstock, to supply even just 4,000 of anything when it is wanted all at once.

2 hours ago, southwestforests said:

The way I see it, that is the core takeaway,

For instance, I wonder how much of it is simply that in the county seat farm burg where I live, of population around 10,000 or so, there simply are not enough stores, and not enough warehoused backstock, to supply even just 4,000 of anything when it is wanted all at once.

Business 101 - in most First World countries, businesses involved in large scale distribution of fast moving consumer goods (FMCG) operate on a 'just in time' model. Warehousing and storage cost money so the system is designed to ensure that new stock is delivered as the old stock is consumed (minimising the need to store goods for any length of time). Thus products move constantly through the supply chain at a rate that can sustain the demand from consumers. It saves money, makes the system more efficient and thus helps the companies turn a higher profit. Mark-ups on these products is generally small so they have to shift quickly because if they don't sell, they quickly perish (fresh foodstuffs) or start to lose their value (because storage costs money and that eats into the profit margin).

The system works really, really well, until something unexpected happens. A sudden run on a product for example means that the distribution system cannot adjust quickly enough to accommodate the sudden spike in sales. The system CAN adjust to account for additional demand but it takes time and it needs assistance (manufacturers ramping up production; transport companies increasing capacity and consumers managing their purchasing).

That's a roundabout way of saying that under normal circumstances, your community is well served by stores and there is enough for everyone. The recent upsurge in 'extreme' buying behaviours has knocked the system out of kilter so you're seeing the short-term consequences of that. That's why the shops are asking people to think before they buy and in some cases imposing rationing on certain products. It's a necessary part of bringing the system back into line.

Regards,

John

My Congressman's office is about to get an earful tomorrow morning. I'm a full-time student along with being a single full-time parent. I use the GI Bill to help fund my living expenses.

Apparently because of this damn COVIN-19 my school has decided to move to online classes only for last seven weeks of the semester. The Department of Veterans Affairs just released a statement that if you attend a school that moves solely to online coursework then you will not receive ANY of your monthly benefits. I'm so freaking pissed and panicking now because I will be out of $2k a month.

I didn't chose to take online courses, I chose classroom instructional classes for several reasons with one being you get paid more. And now the VA is literally taking this opportunity and sticking it to every Vet.

1 hour ago, John Tapsell said:

Business 101 - in most First World countries, businesses involved in large scale distribution of fast moving consumer goods (FMCG) operate on a 'just in time' model...

Very well put explanation of what's going on. Thanks John.

3 minutes ago, Whiskey said:

Apparently because of this damn COVIN-19 my school has decided to move to online classes only for last seven weeks of the semester. The Department of Veterans Affairs just released a statement that if you attend a school that moves solely to online coursework then you will not receive ANY of your monthly benefits. I'm so freaking pissed and panicking now because I will be out of $2k a month.

Man, that sucks. What a bunch of idiocy.  At a time when they should be more generous and extending help, the VA decides to screw our Vets. Unbelievable.

17 hours ago, SBARC said:

I saw this and thought of all the people hoarding toilet paper.  :rofl:

condoms.jpg

Yes, well put. Some of these idiots are trying to profiteer from this and are the ones buying all the toilet paper, sanitizing wipes and hand sanitizer. Thankfully some reseller sites are doing the right thing and blocking these these sellers for marking up prices by 500%.

Not to make light of the situation but it reminds me of that Seinfeld episode.

6 hours ago, Whiskey said:

My Congressman's office is about to get an earful tomorrow morning. I'm a full-time student along with being a single full-time parent. I use the GI Bill to help fund my living expenses.

I didn't chose to take online courses, I chose classroom instructional classes for several reasons with one being you get paid more. And now the VA is literally taking this opportunity and sticking it to every Vet.

Why do governments always seem to screw over Vets?