Do you have enough toilet paper?

On 3/14/2020 at 1:25 PM, southwestforests said:

The only social media I do is Tumblr and the disability & chronic illness community there has an attitude which can be summed up as "You brainless self-absorbed panic-driven idiots are exhibit A for what is irredeemably defective about America, it's not caused by "Them", it's caused by YOU!!! You think WE are the defective people? Haha, you have just shown the world that the truly defective people are YOU! How about leaving some things for those who HAVE TO have extra all day every day every year, but, no, you CAN'T do that, you are totally incapable of thinking about anyone beyond yourself!" 

I read this on FB...

For anyone thinking that social distancing or doing self isolation is unnecessary...this is as easy as it gets to explain it...the one who stayed away from the fire saved the rest that may have been affected by it. Staying out of the way is the best thing we can do to help the front lines people...very simple concept. Not saying it will be fun or easy but if it means keeping the masses from overwhelming our hospitals then I think it’s a very selfless thing to do. Be a part of the solution, not the problem.

matches.jpg

The slicing paper towels thing brings to mind,

Have a Septic System? Never Put these Items Down the Drain

July 21, 2016 by AAA Wastewater

Paper Towels

They may look similar to toilet paper, but paper towels are more absorbent and can easily clog your system.

Paint

As with hazardous materials, paint (especially those that are oil-based) can lead to issues with the leach field and create a hazardous environment.

Flushable Wipes

Like paper towels, flushable wipes can quickly create blockages because they don’t disintegrate as quickly as toilet paper.

https://www.aaawastewater.com/septic-system-never-put-items-drain/

And, https://patch.com/california/castrovalley/cvsan-flushable-wipes-will-clog-the-sewer-don-t-flush-them

CVSan: Flushable Wipes Clog Sewers; Don't Flush Them!

The only truly flushable paper product is toilet paper. Other products might say they're flushable, but they aren't!

By Roland P. Williams, Jr., Neighbor
Jun 14, 2012

Would you put a paper towel down the drain?

Paper towels dissolve faster than so-called flushable wipes, yet most of us know not to flush paper towels down the drain. Paper towels and other wipes are made of paper, and will dissolve in water, just like toilet paper.

The difference is that paper towels and other wipes are made of higher quality wood pulp, which makes it tough enough to usefully help you clean.

As a result, flushed paper towels and other modern cleaning "wipes" don't dissolve quickly and will accumulate in your pipes, especially when tree roots are in the way (which they often are in older sewer lines.) This could result in an unnecessary and costly visit from your local plumber.

So, train yourself and your family to keep any item aside from toilet paper out of the sewer line.

8 hours ago, Whiskey said:

My Congressman's office is about to get an earful tomorrow morning. I'm a full-time student along with being a single full-time parent. I use the GI Bill to help fund my living expenses.

Apparently because of this damn COVIN-19 my school has decided to move to online classes only for last seven weeks of the semester. The Department of Veterans Affairs just released a statement that if you attend a school that moves solely to online coursework then you will not receive ANY of your monthly benefits. I'm so freaking pissed and panicking now because I will be out of $2k a month.

I didn't chose to take online courses, I chose classroom instructional classes for several reasons with one being you get paid more. And now the VA is literally taking this opportunity and sticking it to every Vet.

Yeah I would be a little bit irratated as well if that were to happen.

19 hours ago, Peaches_Sabrina said:

Yeah I would be a little bit irratated as well if that were to happen.

Only a little ???

Think bigger....

😡  😡  😡

I stopped at a Whataburger for a late lunch, only 2 other diners in the place. All the napkin dispensers were empty, you had to ask staff for napkins “because people were coming in and stealing all of them”...

🤔

46 minutes ago, habu2 said:

I stopped at a Whataburger for a late lunch, only 2 other diners in the place. All the napkin dispensers were empty, you had to ask staff for napkins “because people were coming in and stealing all of them”...

🤔

What the heck is wrong with people? 

I was in Walmart tonight looking for rubbing alcohol (no luck yet)....it was like a ghost town compared to 3 days ago.  Plus there was now an endless supply of toilet paper .  I guess all the hoarders are finished shopping.  Traffic on the streets is down by at least 50%...which was nice to see.

5 hours ago, SBARC said:

What the heck is wrong with people? 

A lot!!!

Hollywood has covered this issue thoroughly, even if most of the movies produced are simply fictional/hypothetical.

What worries me most is what I saw yesterday in the news. Queues of people outside gun stores waiting to buy guns - a philosophy/mentality that I'm totally against it unless someone is getting ready for, or going to war.

2 hours ago, SERNAK said:

A lot!!!

Hollywood has covered this issue thoroughly, even if most of the movies produced are simply fictional/hypothetical.

What worries me most is what I saw yesterday in the news. Queues of people outside gun stores waiting to buy guns - a philosophy/mentality that I'm totally against it unless someone is getting ready for, or going to war.

The world has gone insane. "Me and mine at any cost" mentality.

I bought a desktop computer yesterday. Got a nice HP AIO, something that will work for me and my school work along with my kids now. It seems that our school district here is seriously considering canceling all public schools all the way to summer. That will be a devastating blow to not just my family. Anyway I had been considering getting a larger computer for last 2 weeks of this pandemic and the events over weekend really made me pull the trigger on it. It would be nice if I can figure out a way to be compensated for it as this wasn't really something I wanted to purchase for a while but it is going to be a necessity if I want to keep my kids educated and myself.

Again this is something forced on us, more or less, and with the computers at my school no longer accessible students have to make decisions to continue coursework remotely. One of my instructors argued that if the teachers are being forced to work from home and do everything online then they should get compensated for having to use their internet and their computers as it will shorten the lifespan of said equipment. Not going to disagree cause they get paid horribly as it is already but students should get an added bonus as well to get the tools they need.

On the bright side I can now view everyone's pics with a full, modern, 24" screen!

I have plenty of toilet paper and will be willing to trade squares at a time for kits. I know what I have, so bring on the good stuff. I'm talking Wingnuts, Tamiya, GWH....

I'll also consider certain decals of rare and oop vintage.

4 hours ago, SERNAK said:

A lot!!!

Why does it have to be that only? Could it also be that people are considering a possibility of having to support themselves for a while, be it either the means of supplying their own food sources all the way to protecting themselves from others who are ready to take advantage of a chaotic situation? To just immediately say "ready to go to war" is taking it way into the extreme. Some people just want to know they can do what it takes to get by. Simply that.

3 hours ago, Whiskey said:

It would be nice if I can figure out a way to be compensated for it as this wasn't really something I wanted to purchase for a while but it is going to be a necessity if I want to keep my kids educated and myself.

One of my instructors argued that if the teachers are being forced to work from home and do everything online then they should get compensated for having to use their internet and their computers as it will shorten the lifespan of said equipment. Not going to disagree cause they get paid horribly as it is already but students should get an added bonus as well to get the tools they need.

Good thinking but, for example, for those who have signed fixed-term (also long-term) contracts (I'm a freelance tutor) with educational institutions such as, colleges and universities it's a bit tricky to ask for a compensation for the systematic use of your personal equipment since, hypothetically the amount of money you spend for these kind of devices is already included. Unless, before you sign the contract (any contract), you ask to include such a variable/term of condition.

If you work from home, then you are also not spending money on transportation (fuel for car or mass transit) or parking your car at work.  So there is a positive financial side to this....plus you are safe at home and still earning money.

Neither of my jobs permits me to work from home.  One job was driving a tour bus for cruise ship passengers and I have taken time off work for the rest of the year from that job.   So I'm out a big chunk of money this year from that.

My other job involves face to face work with the public. 

Thankfully the numbers of known infected people in my city is low.

People really need to stop traveling.  Anyone stuck overseas should just stay there and be an adult and admit they screwed up.  Travelling at this time is more risky than staying put.

I’m salaried, so at this point the whole working remote thing is going nicely.    From a cost standpoint, I’ll be saving a decent amount of money on gas, my Starbucks habit and eating out / hitting the local pub.     Of course I’m cognizant that my job will be “going nicely” until it isn’t.  Given that this thing looks to be lasting for anywhere from 6 months to well over a year, pretty sure my company is going to start RIF’s at some point.  As horrible as this virus is, the economic aspects are what’s keeping me up at night.  

In the meantime, I’m enjoying time with my youngest daughter, whose been out of school since last week.  Teaching algebra to an 8-year old is a fun challenge.   

3 hours ago, 11bee said:

I’m salaried, so at this point the whole working remote thing is going nicely.    From a cost standpoint, I’ll be saving a decent amount of money on gas, my Starbucks habit and eating out / hitting the local pub.     Of course I’m cognizant that my job will be “going nicely” until it isn’t.  Given that this thing looks to be lasting for anywhere from 6 months to well over a year, pretty sure my company is going to start RIF’s at some point.  As horrible as this virus is, the economic aspects are what’s keeping me up at night.  

In the meantime, I’m enjoying time with my youngest daughter, whose been out of school since last week.  Teaching algebra to an 8-year old is a fun challenge.   

8?! Algebra?! How're you doing that? My oldest is 8 in July. I wanna get her in on it.

1 hour ago, Whiskey said:

8?! Algebra?! How're you doing that? My oldest is 8 in July. I wanna get her in on it.

Surprisingly enough (because I’m pretty dense) my daughter is gifted.  She’s been coming home from school for the last two years saying she’s bored and not learning anything.   Me and the wife started throwing all sorts of work at her to see what she can handle.   She’s grasped everything we’ve given her so far.   That being said, having a kid like this brings a whole new set of problems.   Certainly not what I thought it would be like.  If interested, Khan Academy in-line has some good math (and other subjects) lessons.    If you want one-one sessions Kumon is supposed to be pretty good.    

14 hours ago, fulcrum1 said:

I'll also consider certain decals of rare and oop vintage.

If toilet paper continues to be scarce you may find another use for those decal sheets...  💩   

15 hours ago, Mstor said:

The world has gone insane. "Me and mine at any cost" mentality.

Another story to pass along - my job has me in multiple, different hospitals every day, two today, three yesterday...   today I was told people were coming into a major hospital here in Dallas and stealing the hand sanitizer stations - literally ripping them off the wall - and walking out with them. That’s mental alright....

Ya know, when you think of it that way, https://www.marketwatch.com/story/dont-mock-people-for-hoarding-toilet-paper-theyre-doing-the-best-they-can-with-inconsistent-and-sometimes-wrong-advice-2020-03-15

Outside the Box

Opinion: Don’t mock people for buying extra toilet paper — they’re doing the best they can with inconsistent and sometimes wrong advice

Published: March 16, 2020 at 11:33 a.m. ET

By

Tricia Wachtendorf

"…  While concerned about mass panic, officials might ignore that it takes a great deal of encouragement for people to shift their thinking. Another example is the false belief that disasters do not differentiate between old or young, rich or poor. People do not experience disasters in the same ways, and strategies that ignore those differences often disadvantage the most vulnerable and marginalized.

Sorting through inconsistencies

The information coming from various government, non-government and media sources is now putting people in the difficult and unenviable position of sorting through inconsistent, incomplete and unclear guidance. The actions taken by those around them, and for them, are often contradictory and may appear arbitrary unless adequately explained.

This must stop. It is essential that relevant organizations and those reporting on events learn the facts, get them right and report out in a full, complete and consistent manner.

But that said, even if people do receive the correct information, they will still be left to manage the systems that are in place, which may be faltering or failing around them.

In the short term, immediate attention and investment is required to bolster the supply chain and health systems. Yet, a longer-term strategy to build greater resilience in our systems is needed.

We should not be surprised that precarious systems never thrive under stress, and that strategies useful during routine periods may prove inadequate amid crises. Better information dissemination, as well as short- and long-term attention to the systems that support our communities: That’s what we should focus on fixing, rather than mocking our neighbors who are doing the best they can with the information they have.

Tricia Wachtendorf directs the Disaster Research Center and is a professor of sociology at the University of Delaware. She is co-author, with James Kendra, of “American Dunkirk: The Waterborne Evacuation of Manhattan on 9/11.”