Do you have enough toilet paper?

19 hours ago, fulcrum1 said:

Felt better on Monday and went for a 5.75 mile run without issue. 

Interesting that the symptoms could be so bad in someone who is young & fit!

Here in Oz, if you make an appointment with your local doctor, they will ask you about your symptoms & if they sound anything like Corona, they do a phone consultation with you first to avoid you exposing the medical staff and other patients at the surgery.

I'd been sick for a week (gastro followed by fatigue & throat a bit sore, but no respiratory issues), but they were not taking any chances, so only a phone consult.  She did not think I had it & I'm feeling almost 100% now.

Thanks all, today is a little better for me and my wife is a little worse. If it gets worse we'll head back to the ER (she has asthma) and go from there.

One thing that did help, was some hot soup. For a brief moment it cleared up the airways and felt sooo good with the heat and steam. Never really been sick like this before so I had no clue how amazing hot broth(y) soup is. The other thing that helps is to quit watching and reading the news. Anything other than news about the virus....helps.

3 hours ago, habu2 said:

How do you know this?  Did you "read it on the internet" ?  Do you trust the news being released by the Chinese government?

I don't.

Western news agencies are in China and reporting.    Unless you are one of those folks who doesn’t trust news from US sources either.  

By all accounts, the Chinese government’s numbers seemed to be accepted by most health organizations as fairly accurate.  Some would say that they’ve been more forthcoming about this issue than certain Western leaders.   

53 minutes ago, 11bee said:

Western news agencies are in China and reporting.    Unless you are one of those folks who doesn’t trust news from US sources either.  

By all accounts, the Chinese government’s numbers seemed to be accepted by most health organizations as fairly accurate.  Some would say that they’ve been more forthcoming about this issue than certain Western leaders.   

And where do you think those Western news agencies get their info from.........the Chinese government.

And are those "most health organizations" the same one's who first said that human to human transmission of the virus wasn't possible?

Believe what you want but I would trust gas station sushi more than I trust any news coming out of China.

1 hour ago, fulcrum1 said:

Thanks all, today is a little better for me and my wife is a little worse. If it gets worse we'll head back to the ER (she has asthma) and go from there.

One thing that did help, was some hot soup. For a brief moment it cleared up the airways and felt sooo good with the heat and steam. Never really been sick like this before so I had no clue how amazing hot broth(y) soup is. The other thing that helps is to quit watching and reading the news. Anything other than news about the virus....helps.

Went a round with the flu a few weeks ago that was just about what you described. Oddly, I found Creamy Chicken Noodle Ramen to be gratifying, as well as Progresso's line of chicken soups. Still have a touch of the cough going on but otherwise feeling good.

1 hour ago, WymanV said:

Went a round with the flu a few weeks ago that was just about what you described. Oddly, I found Creamy Chicken Noodle Ramen to be gratifying, as well as Progresso's line of chicken soups. Still have a touch of the cough going on but otherwise feeling good.

I had h1n1 back in 2009 and that kicked my butt. This one the symptoms are more mild, flu like but not the flu. The fatigue and breathing issues for me are something new. I really only coughed one day, but my wife has been coughing most of the time. My parents, who are visiting and staying with us may also have it, but all my mom has is a cough....no other symptoms. My dad is fine for now.

It sounds crazy but if I get this damned thing, I hope it is soon so I have a chance at adequate medical care.   The way the numbers are trending, health care system may be totally overwhelmed in a few weeks.  

I ran a couple days ago and I would have ran 10-15 miles between yesterday and today if it wasn't for this damn cold front with rain. Just doesn't want to go away. 

The funniest part, health-wise for me, is I had a 2 month old scheduled appointment with my PCP at the VA yesterday. Ended up doing it over the phone just because, well you know, and the damn thing lasted only 6:34 minutes! I guess I can consider it a win because I got my meds bumped to a higher dosage strength.....

1 hour ago, 11bee said:

It sounds crazy but if I get this damned thing, I hope it is soon so I have a chance at adequate medical care.   The way the numbers are trending, health care system may be totally overwhelmed in a few weeks.  

Scary isn't it. I don't think the whole reality of the situation has hit me yet. Due to my pre-existing health issues I pretty much stay home anyway, just go out to get groceries, meds or doctor visits. So, my daily routine really hasn't changed much, except for ordering more from the grocery store.

8 hours ago, 11bee said:

Western reporters (American?) have also recently been kicked out of China for reporting the news.  I did not understand how 5 million could leave Wuhan before the lockdown but very few cases spread to the rest of China.  I do not trust anything that comes out of the CCP.

5 hours ago, 11bee said:

I feel the same way...as long as I get really mild symptoms....but it is a bit of a crap shoot.

Interesting read on this subject:

https://www.chicagotribune.com/coronavirus/sns-nyt-coronavirus-fears-turned-to-the-west-20200321-ip3by5qco5e75gqhdfpgkvo3nm-story.html

The measures taken by China (and some other Asian countries) aren't perfect but compare that to the bumbling response here in the US where we still don't have enough test kits (despite assurances weeks back that our test kits were "beautiful" and anyone who needed a test could get one) and (at least in my own experience), first responders are cold-calling local businesses asking if anyone can spare PPE since they are almost out and can't get restocked.   Have to wonder who has the right system, the US who is apparently using the Italian model, or those mean, repressive countries across the Pacific. 

In the meantime, we allow our millennials the right to party down in Miami and then spread throughout the nation as they return home (mostly to their parents homes since colleges are closed).   

Hooray Democracy..

6 hours ago, SBARC said:

...but it is a bit of a crap shoot.

If you have enough TP you'll be fine Steve...:whistle:.

Sorry, couldn't resist. Try and smile and find a laugh every now and again people. Too much doom and gloom isn't healthy either.

Happy modeling!

7 minutes ago, 11bee said:

"Unfortunately, our website is currently unavailable in most European countries. We are engaged on the issue and committed to looking at options that support our full range of digital offerings to the EU market. We continue to identify technical compliance solutions that will provide all readers with our award-winning journalism."

A measure to prevent us Europeans to read "fake news" :coolio:? A lot of US news isn't avaiable online in Europe anymore - talk about China!

Lothar

6 minutes ago, 305swag said:

Everyone is crapping themselves over the flu😷

Way to joke about something that's killed thousands.   I'm sure Fulcrum from the posts above gets a kick out of this.   

The common flu kills tens of thousands every year. It’s mother nature’s way of thinning out the herd. When people have to eat rodents because there’s not enough food this is what you get. Not to mention that it comes from a country that’s not known for giving a darn about it’s people let alone the rest of the world. You seem like the kind of person who blames the gun and not the person. Go wrap yourself in toilet paper and have a nice day.

Edited by 305swag
28 minutes ago, 305swag said:

The common flu kills tens of thousands every year. It’s mother nature’s way of thinning out the herd. When people have to eat rodents because there’s not enough food this is what you get. Not to mention that it comes from a country that’s not known for giving a darn about it’s people let alone the rest of the world. You seem like the kind of person who blames the gun and not the person. Go wrap yourself in toilet paper and have a nice day.

Ok Boomer

Don't Forget the Greatest Generation
Joy Lucius
AFA Journal

Have you seen the Facebook posts and pictures of individuals connecting with their family members in nursing homes closed to the public due to this national pandemic? I have seen pictures of husbands and wives standing outside nursing home windows, writing notes to their spouses on pieces of notebook paper or small marker boards. I saw a grandson simply sitting on a windowsill and singing to his grandfather. I even saw people holding up grand-babies in windows for the great grandparents inside the nursing home to get a glimpse of their sweet babies.

What a precious sight!

But for me, these are also heart-wrenching pictures because my mother and father are confined in an assisted living center only a few miles from my home. Thankfully, my parents are together. So even though they cannot leave their nice, comfortable living quarters, and none of us can visit them, they are not totally alone. They are together just as they have been for more than six decades.

As President Trump and his team keep reminding us, my parents and many other Americans currently secluded in nursing homes are our national treasures, and they deserve our protection. After all, they are members of what is termed "the greatest generation" of Americans to ever live. Men and women who protected our nation through World War II. Then, their generation carried us into the most prolific time of economic and technological growth America has ever known.

Many of these Americans, like my 84-year-old father, were born in the midst of the Great Depression. So as children and teens, they never knew anything but hardship and poverty. They watched (and some young teens even participated) as every able-bodied American man donned a uniform and headed overseas to protect and defend the world from Hitler and his henchmen. During that period of history, they suffered lack and adversity we have never known. Afterward, their generation demonstrated that despite any trial, our nation offered the promise and potential of a good life, as long as a person was willing to work hard.

And work they did! On farms, in factories, and everywhere else they could, this generation worked to give us a better life. A life of provision, ease, and a standard of living never before seen on a national scale.

In only one generation, they took us from the shotgun shacks and fields of sharecroppers to the moon and beyond. They gave us technology that brought the entire world to our fingertips almost instantaneously. They created amazing new medicines, some of which conquered polio and stemmed the tide of cancers once considered an immediate death sentence. And all the while, they did it for us – for the next generation of Americans.

Now, here we are in the middle of another national crisis, and for many young adults, this pandemic is the very first, full-blown, all-out crisis of their lifetime. Many of them cannot even remember 9/11.

But have no fear, our elders are a testament to the fact that Americans can survive anything as long as we look to God for direction and bind together in unity against the unseen foe called COVID-19. And mark my words, we will get through this, stronger and better than ever. But in the meantime, we need to take the time to thank that great, great generation. And remember that many of them are facing this pandemic alone, either shut in nursing centers or their own homes.

No, it’s not the first tough time they have ever experienced, but it might be their first time doing so all alone. And even though some of them might have wonderful caregivers and even companions, they still are facing this pandemic from a very different place than the rest of us. For those of us who love them, this is also a very difficult time. I openly admit that my sister and I shed our share of tears when the order came to shut the doors of my parent’s assisted living center to all visitors. We prayed together that it was not the last time we ever got to see them or be held by them.

In fact, when my precious sister took them a carload of groceries and supplies and left them literally 15 minutes before the order came to shut the doors, my parents were fully aware they might not see us for a while. So these were some of the last words my dad said to her, "But I just want to hold you!"

In answer to my daddy’s cry, here is my prayer for him, for my mom, and for all members of our great generation:

Father God, we hold our parents and our grandparents up to You, and we place them in Your hands for safekeeping. Thank You for all they have done in their lifetimes to guard us, guide us, teach us, and love us. Bless them abundantly for every seed of love they have sown into our country; please give them a rich, bountiful harvest of Your love in this trying time. Remind them, O God, that You alone can give them eternal life. Because of You, they will never perish, and no one will snatch them out of Your hand. Therefore, because You have engraved each of them on the palms of your hand, we simply plead the blood of Jesus over them.

And we thank you, dear God, that during this time, while we cannot hold them and they cannot hold us, Your hand will lead us, and Your right hand will hold us all. Amen.

My 88 year-old Mother-in-law, has been in an assisted living facility for about
the last year and a half. We were just informed last week that, no family and
visitors were allowed inside the building, until further notice. So this well-put
and timely article spoke volumes to our family. It reminded us of what really
matters in life, especially in times of uncertainty. And, more importantly that
there is a 'Great Hope' at the end of the journey.

The Underdog

7 hours ago, 305swag said:

The common flu kills tens of thousands every year. It’s mother nature’s way of thinning out the herd.

You could be very right maybe the season flu is worse. 

But current numbers on this virus are cause for sober reflection.

If 70% of the USA gets this virus and only 2% die

327,000,000 X 0.70 X 0.02 = 4,578,000....that is 4.5 million Americans.  2% death rate

According to this website    https://covid19info.live/   the worldwide death rate is 4.4%

327,000,000 X 0.70 X 0.044 = 10,071,600....that is 10 million Americans.  4.4% death rate.  This number is optimistic considering China was not testing people for the virus that died at home etc.

Italy's death rate is currently at 9.3%

327,000,000 X 0.70 X 0.093 = 21,287,700....that is 21 million Americans.  9.3% death rate

Germany's death rate is 0.4%...but the Germans are testing anyone that wants a test and they have a very good medical system that is free for all citizens.

South Korea's death rate is 1.2%, but again they have been very proactive with tracing contacts and drive through testing and even tracking confirmed cases so all citizens can see them on a map and avoid them.

We won't know for 2 years how bad this gets.

For me....I have no clue what will happen, but the numbers so far do not leave me overly optimistic.