Do you have enough toilet paper?

21 minutes ago, habu2 said:

The ONLY reason manufacturing left the US - and the only reason manufacturing will ever return to the US - is if there is an economic incentive to do so.  By economic incentive I mean labor costs, tax breaks, or tariffs - or any combination of those.  Our capitalistic society is beholden only to the stockholder - or more specifically share price. There are no patriotic, ethnic or geographic drivers, only economic.

My company recently moved manufacturing to Mexico and put hundreds of workers in the unemployment line in New York.  Screw the labor force and praise the bottom line. 

This.   

As far as food supplies for folks “in the field” it’s becoming a significant issue. My company is classified as an essential service and we’ve got crews all over the country.   It’s getting to be a challenge to get them access to decent food on the road.   They work long days and once done, the majority of the restaurants are closed so they can’t even get take out. You can only go on gas station heat lamp stuff and crappy fast food for so long.    Also getting concerned about where these guys can stay while on the road.  Many hotels are shutting down.  

13 hours ago, habu2 said:

The ONLY reason manufacturing left the US - and the only reason manufacturing will ever return to the US - is if there is an economic incentive to do so.  By economic incentive I mean labor costs, tax breaks, or tariffs - or any combination of those.  Our capitalistic society is beholden only to the stockholder - or more specifically share price. There are no patriotic, ethnic or geographic drivers, only economic.

My company recently moved manufacturing to Mexico and put hundreds of workers in the unemployment line in New York.  Screw the labor force and praise the bottom line. 

Well, maybe you could start up a company that does whatever they do and hire those people. That's an option. Just sayin'

Bummer. We've been ordered to shelter in place. Today was the first day of 100% sunshine since daylight in almost 2 weeks and it's finally dried out from all the precipitation we've had in the same amount of time. I HAD to get the kids out so we went to the local swimming hole that's fed by an underground spring. Got way to crowded by 14:00 but we got there early to spend about 3.5 hours comfortably. All I could think of before we left was how incredibly stupid the large amount of people were that kept showing up. But it wasn't just college kids it was the normal types of people that go there of ALL ages. It was nice seeing a few topless women though.

14 hours ago, Whiskey said:

Bummer. We've been ordered to shelter in place. Today was the first day of 100% sunshine since daylight in almost 2 weeks and it's finally dried out from all the precipitation we've had in the same amount of time. I HAD to get the kids out so we went to the local swimming hole that's fed by an underground spring. Got way to crowded by 14:00 but we got there early to spend about 3.5 hours comfortably. All I could think of before we left was how incredibly stupid the large amount of people were that kept showing up. But it wasn't just college kids it was the normal types of people that go there of ALL ages. It was nice seeing a few topless women though.

Nothing takes the edge off a global pandemic more than getting out and seeing some topless women. Are you in Europe?  Unlike Germany where they probably take public nudity a bit too far, didn’t think this was kosher in many spots over here.  

Edited by 11bee
1 hour ago, 11bee said:

Nothing takes the edge off a global pandemic more than getting out and seeing some topless women. Are you in Europe?  Unlike Germany where they probably take public nudity a bit too far, didn’t thank this was kosher in many spots over here.  

Bro I'm in Austin, Texas.

9 minutes ago, habu2 said:

Wow I didn't know Hippy Hollow was still a thing.  I guess that shows my age...  😞

Never been so I wouldn't know. It's legal for women to be topless anywhere in public within the city. We were at Barton Springs.

5 minutes ago, Whiskey said:

Never been so I wouldn't know. It's legal for women to be topless anywhere in public within the city. We were at Barton Springs.

Wait what? Am I reading you correct in saying they can go topless anywhere in Austin? I guess I need to start going to some UT games. 😀

Seriously though, I'm kind of surprised but not...Austin is the San Francisco of Texas. Fun place to visit and see the sights....wouldn't want to live there. 

Just now, niart17 said:

Wait what? Am I reading you correct in saying they can go topless anywhere in Austin? I guess I need to start going to some UT games. 😀

Seriously though, I'm kind of surprised but not...Austin is the San Francisco of Texas. Fun place to visit and see the sights....wouldn't want to live there. 

They can, but it doesn't meant hat they do or will. And I did say PUBLIC places. UT is state owned so that would be a no-go area technically.

43 minutes ago, Whiskey said:

They can, but it doesn't meant hat they do or will. And I did say PUBLIC places. UT is state owned so that would be a no-go area technically.

Oh well, and that's likely the place most....umm...beneficial I guess is the word.:woot.gif:

3 hours ago, Whiskey said:

Well that certainly is surprising.  AustIn was already on me and the Ms’s short list for a weekend getaway.  Might have to bump it up a few spots once the eastern death flu has faded away.  

3 hours ago, Whiskey said:

Thanks for keeping us abreast of the situation.  :whistle:

So last night, I discovered some new symptoms. My smell is supercharged, I feel like a hound dog with smells being very distinct. My taste is diminished. I ate a frito last night and could only taste the salt and ate a piece of cake and could only taste the sugar...no flavors. Oddly, lukewarm water is cold to me and hot water is lukewarm. Anything cold is a shock to my throat.

My wife is experiencing none of this....odd.

Edited by fulcrum1
1 hour ago, fulcrum1 said:

So last night, I discovered some new symptoms. My smell is supercharged, I feel like a hound dog with smells being very distinct. My taste is diminished. I ate a frito last night and could only taste the salt and ate a piece of cake and could only taste the sugar...no flavors. Oddly, lukewarm water is cold to me and hot water is lukewarm. Anything cold is a shock to my throat.

My wife is experiencing none of this....odd.

Did your Dr's indicate that these issues were only temporary?  I heard some folks were reporting complete loss of smell / taste.  

1 hour ago, 11bee said:

Did your Dr's indicate that these issues were only temporary?  I heard some folks were reporting complete loss of smell / taste.  

No playbook. I've only seen the ER doc. I think my smell is better and my taste is diminished....not as bad as last night, but not the same. 

TOILET PAPER - something to think about!

1. The first recorded use of toilet paper was in 6th Century China.
2. By the 14th Century, the Chinese government was mass-producing it.
3. Packaged toilet paper wasn't sold in the United States until 1857.
4. Joseph Gayety, the man who introduced packaged TP to the U.S. had his name printed on every sheet.
5. Global toilet paper demand uses nearly 30,000 trees every day.  That's 10 million trees a year.
6. It wasn't until 1935 that a manufacturer was able to promise Splinter-Free Toilet Paper.
7. Seven percent of Americans admit to stealing rolls of toilet paper in hotels.
8. Americans use an average of 8.6 sheets of toilet paper per trip to the bathroom.
9. The average roll has 333 sheets.
10. Historically, what you use to wipe depended on your income level.
11. In the middle ages they used something called a gompf stick which was just an actual stick used to scrape.
12. Wealthy Romans used wool soaked in rose water and French royalty used lace.
13. Other things that were used before toilet paper include: Hay, corn cobs, sticks, stones, sand, moss, hemp, wool, husks, fruit peels, ferns, sponges, seashells, knotted ropes, and broken pottery (ouch!).
14. 70-75% of the world still doesn't use toilet paper because it is too expensive or there is not sufficient plumbing.
15. In many Western European countries, bidets are seen as more effective and preferable to toilet paper.
16. Coloured toilet paper was popular in the US. until the 1940s.
17. The reason toilet paper disintegrates so quickly when wet is that the fibers used to make it are very short.
18. On the International Space Station, they still use regular toilet paper but it has to be sealed in special containers and Compressed.
19. During Desert Storm, the U.S. Army used toilet paper to camouflage their tanks.
20. In 1973 Johnny Carson caused a toilet paper shortage. He said as a joke that there was a shortage, which there wasn't, until everyone believed him and ran out to buy up the supply. It took three weeks for some stores to get more stock.
21. There is a contest sponsored by Charmin to design and make wedding dresses out of toilet paper. The winner gets $2,000.
22. There was a toilet paper museum in Wisconsin, The Madison Museum of Bathroom Tissue, but it closed in 2000.  The museum once had over 3,000 rolls of TP from places all over the world, including The Guggenheim, Ellis Island, and Graceland.
23. There is still a virtual toilet paper museum called Nobody's Perfect.
24. In 1996, President Clinton passed a Toilet Paper Tax of 6 cents per roll, which is still in effect today. Obama tried to triple that but the House wouldn't pass it.
25. The Pentagon uses, on average, 666 rolls of toilet paper per day.
26. The most expensive toilet paper in the world is from Portuguese brand Renova.
27. Renova is three-ply, perfumed, costs $3 per roll and comes in several colors including black, red, blue and green.  The CEO of Renova came up with the idea for black toilet paper while he was at a Cirque du Soleil show.
28. Beyonce uses only red Renova toilet paper.
29. Kris Jenner uses only the black Renova toilet paper.
30.  If you hang your toilet paper so you can pull it from the top, you're considered more intelligent than someone who pulls it from the bottom. (Wonder how this was determined?)
31. Koji Suzuki, a Japanese horror novelist best known for writing The Ring, had an entire novel printed on a single roll of toilet paper. The novel takes place in a public bathroom and the entire story runs approximately three feet long.
32. When asked what necessity they would bring to a desert island, 49% of people said toilet paper before food.
33. Queen Elizabeth II wipes her royal bottom with silk handkerchiefs. Wonder if the royal chambermaid gets to wash those?
34. Some people wipe their bums with their bare hand - always the left hand. They eat with their right hand. If you are caught shop lifting, your right hand is cut-off forcing you to eat with your poopy left hand.

Edited by The Underdog
30 minutes ago, The Underdog said:

2. There was a toilet paper museum in Wisconsin, The Madison Museum of Bathroom Tissue, but it closed in 2000.  The museum once had over 3,000 rolls of TP from places all over the world, including The Guggenheim, Ellis Island, and Graceland.

Yep, that's my state, Wisconsin. Drink enough beer and brandy (our favorite liquor) and you'll be making up ideas just as stupid as this one.

2 hours ago, The Underdog said:

34.  Muslims wipe their bums with their bare hand - always the left hand. They eat with their right hand. If you are caught shop lifting, your right hand is cut-off forcing you to eat with your poopy left hand.

I've lived in multiple Islamic countries and have many Muslim friends here in the US.  That's BS to say that an entire religion follows that practice.   

1 hour ago, 11bee said:

I've lived in multiple Islamic countries and have many Muslim friends here in the US.  That's BS to say that an entire religion follows that practice.   

Its not a Muslim practice. It has been done by many peoples before the widespread use of TP.  The videos posted in one of the other threads here about what British Knights ate indicated they followed the same practice. Eat with the right hand, wipe with the left.

I've always imagined that one's left hand would always smell rather nasty. :action-smiley-082:

1 hour ago, Mstor said:

Its not a Muslim practice. It has been done by many peoples before the widespread use of TP.  The videos posted in one of the other threads here about what British Knights ate indicated they followed the same practice. Eat with the right hand, wipe with the left.

I've always imagined that one's left hand would always smell rather nasty. :action-smiley-082:

Still think it’s BS to post that about an entire religion but whatever.  

Back on topic, in the days of sailing ships, the Royal Navy provide a bucket of seawater and a single rag.   After doing your cleanup w the rag, you placed it back in the bucket for your shipmates’ use.   The rag was known as “bum fodder”.   

22 hours ago, 11bee said:

I don't believe the statement said the entire religion was practicing this type of hygiene.

The last time I checked, Muslims are a people who believe and practice Islam. I have no

idea what Islam teaches or not about personal hygiene. But, as Mstor pointed-out there

has been many other people who've done likewise! No offense was intended.

Edited by The Underdog
13 hours ago, 11bee said:

Still think it’s BS to post that about an entire religion but whatever.

Agree 100%. What I was trying to say is that it isn't a religious practice, it is a practice of necessity. When you don't have anything to wipe your butt with, you come up with different solutions. As nasty as it may seem, this one has been used throughout the ages. Along with leaves, corn cobs, sponges, etc.

1 hour ago, The Underdog said:

I don't believe the statement said the entire religion was practicing this type of hygiene.

As Mstor pointed-out, there's been many others who've done likewise! No offense was

intended.

What!!? You mean there isn't supposed to be outrage over every little possible misunderstanding of a potentially offensive statement? I thought that was the new norm. You MUST be offended by EVERYTHING or else you're not doing your part to prevent the spread of hatred....oh and probably spreading Covid-19 as well. :whistle:

5 hours ago, thegoodsgt said:

Turns out it's a supply chain issue. Think commercial market vs. consumer market.

LINKAGE

I'm not sure that story is fully correct.

My brother works for a large restaurant food service company and they are having a hard time getting the commercial tp in stock for the last few weeks also.

-Gregg