Airfix 1 48 hurricane vent

Sigh, what an absolute steaming pile of crap the above kit is!!! Im trying to think of a more fiddly worse fitting kit and nothing comes to mind. So many parts lost during the build even the replacement parts I pulled from a different hurricane kit went flying off into the abyss. I'd be surprised if this kit  makes it to competition without stomping it into the ground. Maybe Hornby will send me some replacement parts. 

• 2 months later...

Which version are you building? The older mould wasn't that great but I'm almost finished a new mould one that went together very well, despite my ham-fisted attempts to stuff it up!

912862793_Topview.jpg.386d819f93577c60ec211257098e6ca8.jpg

The new tool Airfix kits do have very tight fitting tolerances by that I mean any paint on the joint surfaces, or seam lines etc should be removed, as this can cause fit problems.

----------------------

I had this kit when it was first released, and I agree with goondman . . . it is an unnecessarily  over complicated kit to build, and unlrss you get everything EXACTLY lined up it won't fit.  On top of that the landing gear fixing is just ridiculous, so you can guess where mine ended up ! I've been modelling for more years than I care to remember, but I've never had the hassle I had with this kit. Give me the older Hasegawa Hurricane any time. Rant over, I'll get me coat !

I know where you're coming from but I had the advantage of reading a few BM posts re the building of it and found it went together well. I did lots of dry-fitting and filing though!

Wow, if you negative posters were building the latest Airfix Hurricane (I have the Tropical boxing, which has the parts needed to make a 'standard' Hurricane Mk. 1), I'm at a a loss as to what you found to be problems.  I am not exactly the world's greatest modeler, but I had no issues with this kit at all.  The one I just finished, I built as a Tropical, and I am planning to build the other as a Battle of Britain aircraft, but again, I'd be interested to hear what your problems were.

The ONLY issue I had, which may have been referred to as "On top of that the landing gear fixing is just ridiculous" by hooter, are the small 'crosstie' pieces.  If you wait until near the end of the build, these parts are a bit fiddly to get in place, since they must go through one of the wheel well structures, but while that took a few minutes to deal with, and a few profanities before those got installed correctly, they ended up fine and in the right spots.  But outside of this, I can't think of a thing that was more challenging than any other kit.

Edited by Curt B

I've built three of the new mould kits without a problem. The tolerances are quite tight . I found that the easiest way to install the cockpit was to glue the fuselage halves together then to insert it from underneath.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/12/2020 at 7:45 PM, Stephen said:

I've built three of the new mould kits without a problem. The tolerances are quite tight . I found that the easiest way to install the cockpit was to glue the fuselage halves together then to insert it from underneath.

That's the way I did it and glued the IP, seat and armour into the fuselage beforehand. Gave me no major issues. I did replace the exhausts and add seatbelts but that's it.

Oh well, perhaps it was just me, but I found the Hasegawa kit much easier to build, plus the surface detail was superior to the Airfix kit, especially their "Doughnuts " to represent the cowling fasteners. I guess it's all down to personal choice at the end of the day.  :cheers:

I’m afraid I have to agree with the experiences of some of you good folks who have built or are building the 1/48 Airfix Hurricane. 😣 

I’m experiencing some of same frustrations and challenges with this kit myself. 

Airfix seemed to have slightly over engineered the cockpit and it is fiddly. It can be built into a nice representation of the Hurricane. I think 🤔 it may come down to how much you may want to put into the build. (Patient and time)

By no means is this kit on the same level as Tamiya or even Hasegawa regarding fit. You will have to utilize the old saying Measure XXXX amount of times and cut once, or in this case glue once.  

On the plus side the plastic is soft and take to the Tamiya Quick-Setting liquid cement. 

Hang in there Goondman and fight threw it.👍

Mr.Un-Happy 😕