Boeing 757-200 underside markings

Hello all,

Haven't been on the forum in a long time but getting back to finishing a kit I started 3 years ago, I'm doing the Accurate Airliners 1/144 scale Boeing 757-200 with Astraeus markings as used by Iron Maiden in 2009.  I used V1 Decals for the main artwork on the fuselage, and a sheet from Flying Colors for the stencils and details.  My problem is I can find no references showing the bottom of the 757, not sure what markings go on the bottom of the fuselage.  I have some red rectangles and a large gray rectangle shaped thing (kind of like a chimney) and some smaller red cut here rectangles.  does anyone have a photo showing where these should be located?

Thanks

Dave C

Dave, there should be a red rectangle just aft of the wing on the right side of the fuselage for the RAT. if you can post a picture of the decals I could probably help you out.

cheers

Dylan

7 hours ago, davecww1 said:

Thanks Dylan let me see if I can upload a picture from my phone.  

Sorry it's telling me the image size is too large will have to see if I can reduce the file size.

20200317_163730_compress89_resize_94_compress71.jpg

well the red rectangle is definitely for the ram air turbine the other one looks like the same thing only in white for a different paint scheme. as for the grey shape...I have no idea.

here is the RAT marking. as for the rest the big grey square is a mystery to everyone I asked.  the cut here markings are specific to an airline. they are likely around the cockpit.

20200320_115147-XL.jpg

Is the large gray one for the nose gear doors? I once had a 757 decal sheet (can’t recall who) that provided this and you had to spit it down the middle if the doors were open. Just a guess.

Ben

12 hours ago, dylan said:

here is the RAT marking. as for the rest the big grey square is a mystery to everyone I asked.  the cut here markings are specific to an airline. they are likely around the cockpit.

20200320_115147-XL.jpg

Thanks Dylan, that is perfect.  Added that decal to the bottom of my fuselage.  Since the bottom is white I will not worry about the gray decal or the cut here, they must have been painted over on the Iron Maiden aircraft as they are not visible in any of the photos I have seen.

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

One question for Dylan, who is an expert on the 757... do I have all of the antennas identified correctly on this photo?  Should #2 be on both sides of the plane or only on the right side?

Thanks

Dave

7571.jpg

Edited by davecww1

#1 are the VHF comm antennas, there are 3

#2 are drain masts one is visible in the pic above

the rest are for a 737

not too sure where #3 lives

#4 are the pitot tubes for the elevator trim computer (or whatever its called on the 737) and they live at the bottom of the vertical stab.

I will try to take a couple more shots of the 757 tomorrow morning.  but this might help

you can see the forward VHF comm antenna with red stripes just above the guys head. and the other one on top of the fuselage. you can also make out the drain mast just forward of the gear

DSC_0102-XL.jpg

Edited by dylan

Thanks Dylan here's the photo I tried to post yesterday of the aircraft I'm modeling. Let me know if this looks correct, the #4 pitot tubes are on the nose of this one, not the tail. Also the drain looks to be under the back door on this one.

Dave

7573.jpg

sorry for the lousy response to the first questions, I thought Dave was asking about the P.E sheet.

this is for the Astraeus plane pictured above.

#1 on the far left should be #3 on the P.E sheet, it is a drain mast for the APU inlet.

#2 is a drain mast for the aft galley on the passenger version, and a drain for the main cargo deck on the cargo version.

the other #1's are VHF comm antennas there are usually 3 of them and the placement on the fuselage changes depending on customer options and mod status.

the P.E  pitot tubes are not %100 accurate but they will probably do the job in 1/144 scale

of note in the second picture you can see the TAT probe on the right side of the fuselage between the forward cargo door and the R1 entrance. also note how the passenger door hinges stick out.

I had a few minutes to take some shots from a few different angles this morning. if anyone needs specific shots or a different angle let me know.

nose gear and lights, not all aircraft are fitted with the Taxi light at the bottom between the tires.

20200405_100632-X3.jpg

20200405_100641-X3.jpg

you can see the forward drain here as well as the VHF comm. all the lower VHF antennas have reflective red stripes on them.

20200405_100659-X3.jpg

20200405_100723-X3.jpg

the rear drain here with another VHF antenna.

20200405_100739-X3.jpg