Kinetic 1/48 F/A-18C VFA-151 In-Progress

Thadeous, thank you for your insight.  I really like picking on details like this, I learn a lot doing this!  I am going to proceed with my rebuttle, but worry this can be taken as defensive or annoyed.  It is definitely not.  I share my argument because it's a way for others to point out flaws in my data or logic in case they're in error. 

One thing that is confusing about the album I linked is the CAG bird.  The CAG is clearly a reversed scheme:

https://www.aviationphotocompany.com/p934046062/h79fe3929#h79fe3929

So moving on.  There are a couple airframes such as this one where the outer tail clearly matches the DGG right by the fuselage slime lights and NAVY:

https://www.aviationphotocompany.com/p934046062/h80bf81d5#h80bf81d5

Additionally, there are at least two shots that are at an angle that shows the outer surface of one stabilizer and the inner of the one behind it (which we know is DGG).  In this one, if anything, the outer surface looks darker than the inner (it's in the shadow rather than direct light because of the angle):

https://www.aviationphotocompany.com/p934046062/h860769b9#h860769b9

And here, there look very dead on similar colors:

https://www.aviationphotocompany.com/p934046062/h836e42b0#h836e42b0

While demarcations can be hard to see, another interesting note about DGG and LGG to my eye is that DGG appears to have a more blue quality.  LGG is more pure gray, or maybe even a slightly brown/warm gray.  In this link below (302 from Flickr you shared), the tail very much looks to have the cool blue gray quality of the upper surface rather than the neutral or slightly warm gray of the lower sides.

164697  F/A-18C  VFA-151  NE-302/XO

Again, there is some overalp of the tails showing inner and outer surfaces.  And they look to have similar qualities to me.  Again, the outer is darker due to the indirect lighting.  Additionally, I would note that I have never seen DGG looking as dark in a picture as the tail stripes look here...not quite the point, but those are definitely not 36320.

These pictures of 303 show her to be more faded, but the contrast/appearance of the inner and outer surfaces displayed here appears very similar in color.

https://www.aviationphotocompany.com/p934046062/h836e42b0#h836e42b0

There are some other pictures that seem to pretty clearly show DGG, such as this one from earlier.  You can see the LGG clearly contrasting the DGG by the forward edge of the elevron.  Yet the tail looks to match perfectly the DGG areas without any changed in contrast.  This looks like a cloudy day and the inner and outer tail surfaces look very similar now.

49848140007_898e4efe5d_c.jpg

Now I will say that I've found some that do look like LGG.  This is one photo down the Flicker stream from the 302 linked above.  Note how the inner surface of one tail is very clearly different than the outer.  In fact, the indirectly lighted outer surface is still lighter than the inner surface of the other. 

162867   F/A-18C  VFA-87   AJ-405

So my rambling conclusion without having worked on or flown Hornets myself.  I can pretty clearly demonstrate that some have their outer tails painted DGG.  And I'm pretty sure at least some have them in LGG.  With the best photographic evidence I can find, I believe VFA-151 in 2002/2003 had them painted in DGG.  I also have no idea what color the tail art was painted.  It looks to be a darker gray than the stenciling in the photos while on the Two Bobs sheet, it looks like they are the same color. 

Well, this project is going to sit in a holding pattern in the display case.  It is virtually done.  The remaining items are:

1. The starboard GBU-12

2. Gun door ordi markings

3. Final assembly of the rear canopy lift actuator and canopy

I am waiting on supplies from Items 1 and 2.  Technically they've arrived, but we're holding packages for 14 days in the garage during COVID-19 (overkill I know, but none of this stuff is really that important to open right away).  The canopy is rather fragile to assemble until all the handling is done.  So I've got 2 days to get the white pencils out of package quarantine, and 11 for the GBU-12's.  Once out, I'll finish these couple items up and then get some final formal pictures in to Critique Corner and The Display Case. 

I definatly see where the argument of DGG outer tails comes from. And I suppose You are actually right, based on the posted pictures.

The picture of 301 is probably the one I'd say looks the most to have LGG outer tails. Next one would be 314. But I can't say it's 100% LGG, and I know my eyes might be playing tricks on me.

To me, both grays are pretty much blue. DGG a bit darker, and perhaps LGG has some creamish bit of hue. All depends on the lighting I suppose. It's been ages since I've seen actual Hornet. And I do remember it being blueish.

What I don't have any explanation is the CAG bird. The outer tails look DGG - Dark Gull Gray 😉 Similar to what VFA-83 jets wore on ODS. With what would seem Dark Ghost Gray streaks and Medium Gray tailcode letters. But the background 310's streaks look Dark Gull Gray too. And that would make TB decals wrong color. I'm sold on the Lo-Vis option. If/when I get around to it I know exactly what thread I'm going to revisit. And whenever I order some decals from TwoBobs, I will pick up one more set. Just to be safe 😉

Can't wait for the final reveal!

27 minutes ago, Thadeus said:

I definatly see where the argument of DGG outer tails comes from. And I suppose You are actually right, based on the posted pictures.

The picture of 301 is probably the one I'd say looks the most to have LGG outer tails. Next one would be 314. But I can't say it's 100% LGG, and I know my eyes might be playing tricks on me.

To me, both grays are pretty much blue. DGG a bit darker, and perhaps LGG has some creamish bit of hue. All depends on the lighting I suppose. It's been ages since I've seen actual Hornet. And I do remember it being blueish.

What I don't have any explanation is the CAG bird. The outer tails look DGG - Dark Gull Gray 😉 Similar to what VFA-83 jets wore on ODS. With what would seem Dark Ghost Gray streaks and Medium Gray tailcode letters. But the background 310's streaks look Dark Gull Gray too. And that would make TB decals wrong color. I'm sold on the Lo-Vis option. If/when I get around to it I know exactly what thread I'm going to revisit. And whenever I order some decals from TwoBobs, I will pick up one more set. Just to be safe 😉

Can't wait for the final reveal!

I think that CAG bird came from the era of subdued markings.  Just after the black tailed CAG bird on the Two Bobs sheet.  So I think they flipped contrast/colors to make it "unique".  The good news is I found the GBU-12 bombs I thought I had in the stash.  So that part is moving foward.  Maybe a week or so before I'm done! 

This is definitely coming down the home stretch and not many more pictures on the in-progress side.  But here are a few that hadn't made it in to updates yet.  The chaff/flare were "filled", since this was planned to be a combat sortie ready bird.  I had sprayed Alclad Flatt over this area, a lacquer.  So using acrylic paints, I was able to use a tiny bit of rubbing alcohol on a Q-tip to clean up the couple stray mistakes.

49866574913_bfedba05ba_c.jpg

The AIM-9's and Maverick are in place...

49866574888_ddd6579e02_c.jpg

And the clear lens/lights are added...

49866574858_73981dc46b_c.jpg

The upper surfaces also got the rest of their weathering.  This was all done with oils, mainly behind the ECS vents between the vertical stabilizers and the slat actuators.  Some chipping on the front edges of the pylons was added with a water color pencil, but not well seen in this picture.  It seems the front edges of these pylons take a beating.

49867420092_eff2f20941_c.jpg

I should be done painting the GBU-12 tonight, but will then have final assembly of that and decaling.  Once I get my white pencil out of package quarantine, I'll add the ordie markings and finish up. 

Sir,

Nice build looking good, hopefully I will be getting back to my build real soon.

Just some minor corrections on your terminology to help you build your Hornet vocabulary...

"The upper surfaces also got the rest of their weathering.  This was all done with oils, mainly behind the ECS vents between the vertical stabilizers and the slat actuators. " 

1. The two small circular holes between the two Vert Stabs are called B-Sump holes. They provide pressure release from the B-Sump from the engine when the oil pressure builds to much. The majority of the ECS system is located on the underside of the aircraft. Not until the Super hornets was the ECS system moved up in between the Vert Stabs. Te two smaller circles, panels, behind the B Sump holes are borescope panels for internal engine inspection.

2. Slat actuators - Leading Edge Flap. The grease you see is actually from a linear rotating shaft that requires grease, eventually the grease comes to the surface. 

Also the Horz Stabs can be painted two colors (depending on the shop and contracts with civilian companies and countries), in Canada they 36375 (bottom side) and 35237 (top side) and the flight control is interchangeable with either side. So sometimes when a tech gets a Horz Stab from supply, sometimes the topside grey is on the bottom; therefore the lighter grey can be on top and looks...off. I have "robbed" one off airplane "B"  from the RH side and placed it on the LH side to make aircraft A serviceable!

Wings folded...don't forget to place the wing tips at 100 degrees, so just slightly over center inboard.

Cheers

AFM

8 hours ago, AlienFrogModeller said:

Sir,

Nice build looking good, hopefully I will be getting back to my build real soon.

Just some minor corrections on your terminology to help you build your Hornet vocabulary...

"The upper surfaces also got the rest of their weathering.  This was all done with oils, mainly behind the ECS vents between the vertical stabilizers and the slat actuators. " 

1. The two small circular holes between the two Vert Stabs are called B-Sump holes. They provide pressure release from the B-Sump from the engine when the oil pressure builds to much. The majority of the ECS system is located on the underside of the aircraft. Not until the Super hornets was the ECS system moved up in between the Vert Stabs. Te two smaller circles, panels, behind the B Sump holes are borescope panels for internal engine inspection.

2. Slat actuators - Leading Edge Flap. The grease you see is actually from a linear rotating shaft that requires grease, eventually the grease comes to the surface. 

Also the Horz Stabs can be painted two colors (depending on the shop and contracts with civilian companies and countries), in Canada they 36375 (bottom side) and 35237 (top side) and the flight control is interchangeable with either side. So sometimes when a tech gets a Horz Stab from supply, sometimes the topside grey is on the bottom; therefore the lighter grey can be on top and looks...off. I have "robbed" one off airplane "B"  from the RH side and placed it on the LH side to make aircraft A serviceable!

Wings folded...don't forget to place the wing tips at 100 degrees, so just slightly over center inboard.

Cheers

AFM

Thank you for the information.  I made a leap for simplicity, assuming with all the ado about ECS pipes on the Super Hornets, these were the ECS vents in the same place.  That's what happens when you assume instead of looking something up.  Sure explains why there's so much dirt coming from them...was a little worried the pilot was smoking if they were ECS vents. 

Slats didn't feel right, but I couldn't come up with the name that sounded right. 

Unfortunately my wing tips are pretty well at 90 degrees, but they've been glued for months, so that may just be that.  Maybe I can nudge them a little.

And interesting to know about the horizontal stabilizer.  I definitely was being cautious while painting to mirror them so I had the right colors on the right side.

I think this will be the last post of the in-progress thread...it's done!

The GBU-12 was built twice actually.  I rushed it the first time. I didn't thin paints well.  I was spraying straight out of the bottle to be quick.  And when push came to shove, the paint didn't layer on right, was thick, delicate, and come assembly time it just all went to ^#$%.  So I started over.  The thermal coating was made with Mr. Surface 500 stippled on the bomb body.  The fin and guidance units looked pretty clean, but the bodies seem to take a decent amount of weather, so I added some oils.  The underexposed picture makes it look really dirty.  It's a bit cleaner in real life. 

49878851188_9f75e032bc_c.jpg

The gun door markings proved to be a little trying.  I had an old drop tank that I had tested this on, and all seemed well writing these markings with a pencil.  For whatever reason, the pencils did not want to write on this part of the model.  They would work for instance on the rear fuselage (they wipe away easily with water, so it's easy to test), but not this area.  I tried sanding a bit to give more "bite".  I tried putting a couple different styles of flat coats here to see if it was a paint issue.  None of that seemed to help.  What eventually seemed to work was a water color pencil and wetting the tip.  The only downside is this made the pencil a bit "softer", and the writing bigger.  Up close, it works, but seems a little big.  In terms of the gestalt, it does the job well.  This was then sealed with some clear flat.

49878851153_2309436fa7_c.jpg

The landing light and AOA indexors were unmasked and the canopy assembled to complete the build.  There is little clear evidence of where the canopy actuator arm goes, so I had to reference pictures.  So without further ado, here's the final model...

49878851128_d0ce063b46_c.jpg

I'll be making a post in the completed build threads over the coming days once I get the photo tent out and get some good pictures.  Thanks for following.

• 3 years later...
On 3/18/2020 at 6:31 PM, ESzczesniak said:

I'm going to try my first in-progress build thread.  This is Kinetics 1/48 F/A-18C.  It's a bit of a revival build.  I had one of these nearly done, but then the final Testors dullcote flat I used was too hot and gave spider webs everywhere.  It was a total loss, so I'm starting over. 

In short, I wanted a dirty hornet with folded wings in low-viz markings.  So this meant a deployed carrier bird and I ultimately settled after finding Two Bobs decals for the VFA-151 2001 deployment.  The build will include:

Kinetic 1/48 F/A-18C USN

Eduard 1/48 F/A-18C Exterior

ResKit Wheels

Two Bobs VFA-151 Decals

Eduard Brassin munitions

I started taking the pictures for this build a while ago, so it may seem that I build fast.  However, quite the opposite.  I've learned a thing or two about building these Kinetic Hornets, so hopefully that will help.  Most of these pictures will be decent, but I will still save the photo tent, bracketed exposures, etc for the completed build.  So some will be a little off still. 

To start the build, I tend to start with intakes.  I'm not a very big fan of smoothing these out, so I like to get this out of the way.  The Kinetic intakes fit fairly well, so to start was simply gluing the halves together with liberal use of cement to smooth the seems out from the start.

49672753743_98fb52f006_c.jpg

The inside was then sanded tediously with sandpaper wrapped around a thin paint brush handle.  Hard to see much in this picture

49673576582_e66a1134a0_c.jpg

Kinetic, and most Hornet kits, would have you believed the white of the intake comes to nearly the lip where the natural seem in the kit parts are.  However, the demarcation is actually about 3 feet back.  So I glued the trunk to the intake lips at this point, and then filled this seem with super glue.  I've found for work in areas like this with poor visibility, it can be helpful to spray some black paint over the superglue.  Then this makes it very clear where the superglue still is as you start sanding.  Once the black is gone, it should be good to go.

49673577692_2ca10a594e_c.jpg

The front was then primed and sprayed with Model Master Acryl light ghost gray.

49673296626_cfbecccafc_c.jpg

The white demarcation would be very hard to mask given how far back it is, so I used the poured latex paint method.  I use a semi gloss instead of gloss, as I find both appearance for scale effect and coverage is better.  This is my setup.  I fix the intakes in measuring cups so the demarcation line is horizontal.  I use a syringe with a long needle to "inject" the paint well below the demarcation line to not mess up the gray.  The toothpick in the hemostat has been measured to be the depth from the lip to the end of the gray.  So as I'm getting closed, I cam placed the hemostat across the intake face and fill until it just touches the toothpick. 

49673577642_9319b39be7_c.jpg

I then let the pour sit for about 5 minutes before pulling the intake up and letting most of the paint drip back in to cup. 

49672753648_5b794c10a6_c.jpg

I then hang them up to let excess drip out.

49673577577_61bcc58327_c.jpg

Next update will be the cockpit.  The build is completed through basic airframe tidied up and getting control surfaces and I'll try to get this thread updated through that point at least.  Please feel free to offer any critiques or ask any questions. 

Great build,

I'm building mine at last. Do me a favour and please advise which piece belongs in the most forward slot of part C13 / C18 on the underside of the bottom front fuselage.

The intsructions as in other areas here are somewhat vague.

Thanks,

Marc.

On 4/1/2020 at 12:40 AM, ESzczesniak said:

I have a bad habit of painting the airframe, but then having to go back and do everything to all the small parts.  So I'm trying to fight this.  Here is everything ready for painting...

49721865466_8560e6c41f_c.jpg

I like to prime.  It has some advantages for adhesion, but I find the biggest factor is that it "unifies" all the materials well.  Without the primer, I find sanded areas, PE, etc, all look a little different.  I prime with Mr. Surfacer 1200 thinned about 30% paint/70% Mr. Color Levelling thinner.  I find this to be the smoothest and thinnest finish I can get. 

After primer, most areas look good.  A little surprising was the intakes looked a bit rough.  Evident in this first picture, I tend to fall just a touch short of complete "color" coverage with the first primer coat.  I know I'll be coming back after I touch up seams, and want to keep coats as thin as possible. 

49721865421_41ab19c111_c.jpg

These were tidied up with some more CA.  The other area was this long seam on the nose I had been worried about.  This looked a bit deep.  So I brushed Mr. Surfacer 1200 over the seam, and wiped away with a finger perpendicular to the seam.  This cut the depth a lot.

49721865386_7e1d22ae18_c.jpg

And the airframe is fully primed after a second pass...

49721330438_ae5ed2042c_c.jpg

The intakes cleaned up much better...

49721330368_b72bfb121d_c.jpg

I'll start the landing gear wells next, then mask and get started with the airframe colors.

Nice build although I am some three years late to the thread.

I'm building a C myself and seem to  be missing the left and riight blisters just under the front of the LEX's. I cannot find them in the kit Can someone confirem that Kimetic did indeed forget these  and ideally advise on how best to replace.

Thanks,