Tamiya compound, modeling wax and Stix chrome

Hi all guys;

I've received as commission from one of my collector to repaint a Sideshow' Silver Surfer.So after testing different colors the best suited look to be the Spax Stix.

As for any high shine metals,the best result is with a gloss black as base and following chuck540z3 beautiful F-5, I've decanted some Tamiya TS-14 from the rattlecan; the color was airbrushed without problem.

The result after buffing look nice to me,here my try.

8rUBXf.jpg

But the black for some reason is a magnete for dust, even if covered with a carton box. After the third coat ( sanding between one to another ) today I controlled the result after 48h of dry time and here and there was present some small dust particle and again I've sanded the surface 'till grain 12000 with Alclad polishing clothes. But instead of respray the black to restore the gloss I used with good effect some Fine Compound from Tamiya.

This is like look the surf

UwqgwT.jpg

A close up anyway show some small scratch,especially evident in the lower left corner of the image,probably effect of the polishing clothes,that push me to think if use the Tamiya wax

KSi3qN.jpg

Now what I want to know is if is possible paint with the  Stix Chrome  ( is if remember well is alchool based) over the Compound?

I've even think to use some Tamiya modeling wax over the gloss black for a glass-like finish but,again,is possible paint over this product?

Any tips is more than appreciated guys!

Gianni

Edited by kurnass77

Bob,

in reality with the cardboard box the dust was much less than before.

Put upside-down the surf after paint is pratically impossible and find a plastic box of 50 cm of height is quite tricky...

At this point what really want to know is if i can paint over the Compound or not as the project take so much time 'till now that I started to hate it!

Gianni

Easy enough to find out...put some of the compound on a piece of plastic and then shoot some paint over it.

If you clean it well, "maybe" you will be okay.  Maybe not so much over any wax.

I don't think too many here have done what you are doing, so practical advice will be hard to come by.

Bob

The issue will be residue. A true polishing compound is just a fine abrasive. So if thoroughly washed, should be ok. The Tamiya wax is just that, and I’d expect to be a very delicate coat since the wax base layer under the chrome could just pull up. 

As has been said already, a plastic container will be key. Maybe not the best time to be out in the stores shopping, but large basement and garage storage container work. I found one to fit a 1/32 F-16 Thunderbird, so I k ow they’re out there. 

Also as has been said, try it and see. How delicate is too delicate? A test run could help you decide.