14 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

Except the F-14 never carried AIM-120.

Technically that's not true. I have pictures of a PMTC F-14A carrying an AIM-20 where the Sparrow is usually hung. I've thought about making a model of it for years, but have never gotten around to it.

3 minutes ago, Whiskey said:

Dare I ask if anyone does those exact markings in 1/48? And not just old sets, I mean ones that are readily available.

There is such markings (or rather: similar PMTC) in Furball set Colors and Markings of US Navy Tomcats Part VII:

Przechwytywanie.jpg

Sorry, I didn’t think people were going to be so pedantic about this.  Forgot people lose their minds when talking about AMK.    I was referring to operational F-14s, not test aircraft, but I sure most people knew this and were just posting to be contrary.  I’m out.

1 hour ago, Solo said:

There is such markings (or rather: similar PMTC) in Furball set Colors and Markings of US Navy Tomcats Part VII:

Przechwytywanie.jpg

Yep I knew about those however I believe the blue stripe would need to be extended a little bit to the forward edge of the vertical tail as these stop short due to the camo pattern. I think.

3 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

Sorry, I didn’t think people were going to be so pedantic about this.  Forgot people lose their minds when talking about AMK.    I was referring to operational F-14s, not test aircraft, but I sure most people knew this and were just posting to be contrary.  I’m out.

3 hours ago, Whiskey said:

F-14A_AIM-120_Test.JPEG

Dare I ask if anyone does those exact markings in 1/48? And not just old sets, I mean ones that are readily available.

Did you notice that it's an older (as in one of the first) airframe? It has the original boat tail, and no slime lights on the fin caps. It has a set of two slime lights by the turbine warning stripe. That would be a very interesting project to complete.

3 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

Why did you assume that people responded the way they did because of AMK? My response had nothing to do with AMK. I was simply trying to provide some information. It seems very strange that you would get upset about this. 

I saw more pictures of it as I was browsing, but I'm solely on my phone today. When I get to my computer I'll go back and collect the pictures up for closer examination. Good eye Darren, although it should be expected of you haha! 

2 hours ago, Whiskey said:

Yep I knew about those however I believe the blue stripe would need to be extended a little bit to the forward edge of the vertical tail as these stop short due to the camo pattern. I think.

It's easy enough to paint the blue stripe and cut out the triangular logo.

Also noteworthy is the panel over the port engine fairing that's still gull grey over white.

On 3/20/2020 at 9:59 AM, Dave Williams said:

Forgot people lose their minds when talking about AMK.

On 3/20/2020 at 1:10 PM, Darren Roberts said:

Why did you assume that people responded the way they did because of AMK?

He actually explained why he responded that way in his post. You just need to read between the lines. 🤣🤣

• 1 month later...

Hey cool, that AMRAAM Testbird is 158625.

I still have a data plate of her and the original PMTC folder with the cockpit images somewhere. Lots of red panels in the cockpit that were not in the regular Alphas and her wingtips featured the camera bumps.

1 hour ago, bushande said:

Hey cool, that AMRAAM Testbird is 158625.

I still have a data plate of her and the original PMTC folder with the cockpit images somewhere. Lots of red panels in the cockpit that were not in the regular Alphas and her wingtips featured the camera bumps.

I'd love to see the cockpit photos if you ever dig them out.

On 3/20/2020 at 8:41 AM, Darren Roberts said:

Technically that's not true. I have pictures of a PMTC F-14A carrying an AIM-20 where the Sparrow is usually hung. I've thought about making a model of it for years, but have never gotten around to it.

Test squadrons don't count, they were an abomination/exception as to what could be carried.

On 3/20/2020 at 2:25 PM, picknpluck said:

Also noteworthy is the panel over the port engine fairing that's still gull grey over white.

That panel was called the "forward fix cowl"

Also note that the belly Sparrow launchers are white.