CD48179 - 1/48 TA-4J Skyhawk

Seems the best way to do 775 would be to direct the modeler to paint the dark blue first, then make the medium and light blue areas decal. Notice the three blue motif on the drop tanks and intakes. Wonder what the wing looked like?

10 hours ago, JackMan said:

I've always liked this VT-7 bird (775) but that tail and nose is going to be a bear to paint:

https://modelingmadness.com/scott/decals/super/ss72539.htm

Also, no idea what the wings, top and bottom look like.  The slat wells appear to be dark blue but I'm not really sure.  And eye-catching scheme, nevertheless.

Hey I have that sheet still as I was too scared of doing all that masking. I think there is some sort of pattern on the wings judging from the slats but it does not extend to the wing tips. Dark blue version looks simpler with the gold on the flap and wing tip. Hasegawa boxing shows top view taken from carrier tower I think.

Edited by skyhawk174

So just did some searching and both VT-7 anniversary schemes are in the Hasegawa boxing. For the white scheme, there are two blues on the decal sheet and you have to mask the dark blue. The guy who built it said there was blue on the underside. I think you would need to find an instruction sheet to see what the scheme looked like?

http://www.ipmsusa.org/reviews2/aircraft/kits/hasegawa_48_ta4j-2/hasegawa_48_ta4j-2.htm

54 minutes ago, skyhawk174 said:

Hey I have that sheet still as I was too scared of doing all that masking. I think there is some sort of pattern on the wings judging from the slats but it does not extend to the wing tips. Dark blue version looks simpler with the gold on the flap and wing tip. Hasegawa boxing shows top view taken from carrier tower I think.

Thanks for the heads up on the Hasegawa kit.  I had seen that boxart before but I never knew that the white scheme was also included in the kit:

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10098652

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/image/10098652

At least now I can download  better instructions from the above link. Like you,  I too have that Superscale sheet and a 1/72 Fujimi  TA-4J to go with it. Again , like you, I'm too intimidated to do all that masking, esp since the Superscale painting instructions leave much to be desired.

2 hours ago, JackMan said:

Thanks for the heads up on the Hasegawa kit.  I had seen that boxart before but I never knew that the white scheme was also included in the kit:

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10098652

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/image/10098652

At least now I can download  better instructions from the above link. Like you,  I too have that Superscale sheet and a 1/72 Fujimi  TA-4J to go with it. Again , like you, I'm too intimidated to do all that masking, esp since the Superscale painting instructions leave much to be desired.

You are more than welcome. Yeah if it was not for this thread I would not even have known about the special boxing by Hasegawa plus the two schemes in it. I have many of their Skyhawk kits in 1/48th but was not following too closely on their releases. I would go broke really fast and I like to stay married 🤣. My Superscale sheet is in 1/48 as that is the scale I build in mostly.

1 hour ago, skyhawk174 said:

. My Superscale sheet is in 1/48 as that is the scale I build in mostly.

Bear in mind that the Superscale sheet is likely undersized for the Hasegawa T-bird.  In the 80s when it was printed, the only TA-4 kit that was available in anything close to 1/48 was the Fujimi kit, which I believe was in 1/50.

17 hours ago, Joe Hegedus said:

Bear in mind that the Superscale sheet is likely undersized for the Hasegawa T-bird.  In the 80s when it was printed, the only TA-4 kit that was available in anything close to 1/48 was the Fujimi kit, which I believe was in 1/50.

Good point Joe. I had that kit too but it did not look right. Too skinny I thought and as you say it is 1/50th no matter what the box says.

Edited by skyhawk174
  • 2 weeks later...

18th Century English Nursery Rhyme:

Sing a song of sixpence,
A pocket full of rye.
Four and twenty blackbirds,
Baked in a pie.
When the pie was opened
The birds began to sing;
Wasn't that a dainty dish,
To set before the king.
The king was in his counting house,
Counting out his money;
The queen was in the parlour,
Eating bread and honey.
The maid was in the garden,
Hanging out the clothes,
When down came a blackbird
And pecked off her nose.
And shortly after that,
there came a little wren,
As she sat upon a chair,
and put it on again.

Edited by Dutch
  • 1 month later...
On 5/13/2020 at 11:06 PM, KursadA said:

Perhaps even an EA-4F:

40685587215_6b2341c98d_b.jpg

Very nice photo of very interesting markings.  But what I find interesting are the two turbine generators hanging off the port side of the ERA-3B Skywarrior visible just below the Skyhawk's nose. According to Wikipedia:

ERA-3B: Eight RA-3Bs converted as electronic aggressor aircraft (primarily for war-at sea exercises) with ECM gear in an extended tail cone and fairings, along with two detachable ram-air turbine powered ALQ-76 countermeasures pods (one under each wing), chaff dispensers (on the tail cone and aft fuselage) and four ram-air turbines (two per side) to power equipment located in the former bomb bay. Crew increased to four: pilot, navigator, crew chief, and Electronic Countermeasures Officer (ECMO) with one mostly unused "jumpseat" in the aft crew compartment (the former weapon bay) which lacked an equipment position for a second Electronic Countermeasures Officer or enlisted crewman. The "jump seat" was used by instructor ECMOs training new ECMOs, as well as by guest observers and passengers during operational flights. While the ERA-3B could withstand a cable-arrested landing, the ALT-40 and ALR-75 equipment was not stressed to withstand catapult launches, thus it was never deployed aboard carriers. The ERA-3B served with VAQ-33 and later with VAQ-34.

Edited by Dutch
12 hours ago, Tracy White said:

Interesting that the blackbird has shown up on a VFC-111 F-5.

This site has some really cool looking VFC-111 F-5's on here.   Could almost do a sheet just on this units Tigers.

Never mind, I just did a search and looks like several different sheets have been done for this unit.

Edited by Drifterdon
5 hours ago, Drifterdon said:

The Blackbird was VF-45s unit marking when they existed...it showing back up on the VFC-111 jets is interesting...wonder if a former VF-45 guy might be involved with VFC-111 operations down there now?? 

Edited by 82Whitey51
5 hours ago, 82Whitey51 said:

The Blackbird was VF-45s unit marking when they existed...it showing back up on the VFC-111 jets is interesting...wonder if a former VF-45 guy might be involved with VFC-111 operations down there now?? 

I'd be interested in doing this bird if markings were available.    Any idea of what the tank is hanging from the belly?   Doesn't look like a standard Tiger drop tank.   Almost looks like it's an old F-5A/B drop tank.

IMG_8236.jpg
1 hour ago, Drifterdon said:

I'd be interested in doing this bird if markings were available.    Any idea of what the tank is hanging from the belly?   Doesn't look like a standard Tiger drop tank.   Almost looks like it's an old F-5A/B drop tank.

IMG_8236.jpg

I assume that is an older type tank, or one that the Swiss AF might have used (a lot of these F-5s are former Swiss birds). Definitely too big for a travel pod...unless he plans on staying a while.

49 minutes ago, Vince Maddux said:

Travel pod? at least that's what it looks like to me. But is also looks like a Napalm tank like the A-37 use to use. Maybe repurposed?

LOL    Is this what a hijacked thread looks like?    The original thread was about TA-4J's.

The F-5F is the two seater version F-5E, Another plane has a twin seat equivalent , is the A-4, this two seat jet is called the TA-4J.  Great plane, just need more decals for it....

Does this help un-hijack this tread 😜

2 hours ago, Vince Maddux said:

The F-5F is the two seater version F-5E, Another plane has a twin seat equivalent , is the A-4, this two seat jet is called the TA-4J.  Great plane, just need more decals for it....

Does this help un-hijack this tread 😜

Works for me Vince.   :cheers: