Latest Canadian to US exchange rate is killing me

So the latest Canadian/US exchange rate is 1.453. So it will cost me 45% more to buy stuff from the US. Wowza, and I thought 1.37 was bad. Looks like this will be curtailing any US buying for me. How long I have no idea. I have more than enough stuff to build/finish until the cows, dog, cats and rabbits come home. Those nice new decals will have  to wait and I hope they will still be available when the exchange gets back to some sort of normalcy.

I can still remember when our Canadian dollar was on par. Good old days for sure.

5 hours ago, SBARC said:

But gas is cheaper in Canada now.  That should balance things out for ya.   :thumbsup:

I paid $1.43 a gallon three days ago at Costco. Supposedly 99 cents a gallon in the Louisville KY area at Texaco. Almost pay to drive down there for a fill up

gary

5 hours ago, ChesshireCat said:

I paid $1.43 a gallon three days ago at Costco. Supposedly 99 cents a gallon in the Louisville KY area at Texaco. Almost pay to drive down there for a fill up

gary

2 hours ago, SBARC said:

I'm happy to pay CDN $1.17 for a liter...$1.43 a gallon sounds like some weird fantasy world.  :rofl:

With gas so low, you could fill up your tank an head out almost anywhere, except with the virus spreading, where would one go? Chances are you'd get stopped in some areas. Of course I filled my tank a few weeks ago, before the bottom fell out of gas prices.

99 cents a gallon. I wonder how low it will go before this is over?  Raffle anyone?

21 hours ago, SBARC said:

But gas is cheaper in Canada now.  That should balance things out for ya.   :thumbsup:

Unless he lives in a place where the entire economy is based on the the price of gas.

12 hours ago, Mstor said:

With gas so low, you could fill up your tank an head out almost anywhere, except with the virus spreading, where would one go? Chances are you'd get stopped in some areas.

I wonder how long before the locals in small communities start setting up roadblock blocking cars from entering their small communities?

2 hours ago, MoFo said:

Unless he lives in a place where the entire economy is based on the the price of gas.

Well I was spending $200 a month on gas.  I figure the lower prices are saving me $50 a month...which is probably enough to offset the exchange rate on hobby purchases.  Gas prices did hit $1.56 a liter in late February....it was $1.17 yesterday.

23 minutes ago, SBARC said:

I wonder how long before the locals in small communities start setting up roadblock blocking cars from entering their small communities?

All ready happening on some reserves. Gas is supposed to go down near 65 c a litre for tomorrow. Has not been that low in 19 years.

Sad thing about the gas, ONLY place I can drive to is work, home and the gas station.

Mind you the dollar, have some decals I wanted........Dollar IS too low. Damn near $40 after exchange for the decals.

You could try looking at Canadian vendors first. In the past when the dollar tanked, I would look inside the country first. Many vendors bought at a higher dollar and take some time to raise their prices.

Cheers

Bill Inglee

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/23/2020 at 7:17 PM, ChesshireCat said:

gary

I paid $54 cents/litre at Costco recently, most stations are 59 cents/l in my area.

On 3/23/2020 at 1:19 PM, skyhawk174 said:

So the latest Canadian/US exchange rate is 1.453. So it will cost me 45% more to buy stuff from the US. Wowza, and I thought 1.37 was bad. Looks like this will be curtailing any US buying for me. How long I have no idea. I have more than enough stuff to build/finish until the cows, dog, cats and rabbits come home. Those nice new decals will have  to wait and I hope they will still be available when the exchange gets back to some sort of normalcy.

I can still remember when our Canadian dollar was on par. Good old days for sure.

Before the crash in the dollar I wasn’t finding many deals in the US, most my hobby stuff comes from Europe.

2 hours ago, Scooby said:

Before the crash in the dollar I wasn’t finding many deals in the US, most my hobby stuff comes from Europe.

if the dollar went south in value, the price of everything would go up. The real issue is the pumping war between Russia and the Saudis. The market for raw crude is in a staggering glut right now. They've actually ran out of places to store it. Bad thing about super low crude oil prices is that many wells will end up being capped because they can't turn a profit. Another good thing is that there is a whole new generation of electric cars and trucks getting ready to hit the market. This will further reduce the demand for gasoline. They're talking 400+ miles per charge,  and a charge rate that will average less than ten dollars per charge.  The pickup trucks are already on the test tracks as of last week

gary

7 minutes ago, ChesshireCat said:

if the dollar went south in value, the price of everything would go up. The real issue is the pumping war between Russia and the Saudis. The market for raw crude is in a staggering glut right now. They've actually ran out of places to store it. Bad thing about super low crude oil prices is that many wells will end up being capped because they can't turn a profit. Another good thing is that there is a whole new generation of electric cars and trucks getting ready to hit the market. This will further reduce the demand for gasoline. They're talking 400+ miles per charge,  and a charge rate that will average less than ten dollars per charge.  The pickup trucks are already on the test tracks as of last week

gary

I know I mentioned oil but I was referring to hobby supplies and items. The cost of shipping from USA to Canada went through the roof. It was much cheaper at one time. I can ship from Europe or Britain for 1/3 to 1/4 the cost.

Although recently Sprue Brothers did find an alternative shipping method which is much cheaper.