F4-D Skyray question

I just started the Tamiya 1/48 kit and it is going very well so far. Waiting for the other shoe to drop :)

Google has not provided an answer to my question....does anyone know the color of the wing flap recess and the bottom of the flaps?

Thanks for any help.

Bob

3 hours ago, Darren Roberts said:

If you're referring to the leading edge slat wells, they should be gray. How far along have you gotten? If you haven't done the wings yet, Steel Beach makes a nifty little brace set that helps glue the wings together. 

I didn't know about the brace set. Thanks for the info, just bought one and your paint mask set.

One more interesting item as long as we are on the subject of Skyrays...

notsnik2.jpg

Pilot_(NOTSnik)_with_F4D-1_Skyray.jpg

NOTS-EV-1 "Pilot" aka "NOTSNIK". "Expendable launch system and anti-satellite weapon". I'd never seen this before running across it during the search for slat well pics. Would make an interesting subject for a build. You can get one in 1/48 on Shapeways...

https://www.shapeways.com/product/2CBXHNBJH/nots-ev-1-quot-pilot-quot-quot-notsnik-quot-launcher

Sorry for hijacking your thread Bob. Back to slats and flaps.

Skyray was an interesting and attractive airplane. Colors of slat well and underside of slat have been discussed before, somewhere, and all I can remember is that there were a couple different directives on that during the service life of the airplane; at some point in time red was specified and at another point in time it was specified to paint the slat well whatever the upper wing color was at that point - meaning that 0743 in the utility livery of grey fuselage and yellow wings got yellow slat wells.

However ...

... color images show photos of 0745 in overall white with red underside, vertical fin, & forward portion of wings in red-orange got red slat wells at China Lake in 1960, but ... 4856 in same livery at Point Mugu shows white or maybe light grey slat interiors standing out against red wing surface and red slat surface.

Looking at color images scattered about in book Killer Rays, Mark Frankel, 2010, Specialty Press, does indeed support,
Q: What color are Skyray leading edge slat well interiors?
A: Which airframe on which date?

1 minute ago, Tailspin Turtle said:

My most recent look at this: http://tailspintopics.blogspot.com/2012/10/painting-crush-points-red.html

Note that they rarely (never) have the red edge on the gear doors even when the slat wells are red.

I had wondered about that. I could never see red on the door edges, but wondered if it was just me.

8 hours ago, Mstor said:

NOTS-EV-1 "Pilot" aka "NOTSNIK". "Expendable launch system and anti-satellite weapon".

My understanding is that NOTS-EV-1 was purely an air-launched orbital platform (ALOP) with no anti-satellite capabilities.  Out of 10 launches, none were confirmed to have reached orbit.

At the time (July-August 1958) USSR had put only only two satellites in orbit.  NOTS-EV-1 was part of the US reaction to get into the space race, not to "kill" the Soviet space program.

There was a follow-on ALOP program called NOTS-EV-2 "Caleb" that tested anti-sat capabilities but, by all released accounts, it was a dismal failure.

1 hour ago, habu2 said:

My understanding is that NOTS-EV-1 was purely an air-launched orbital platform (ALOP) with no anti-satellite capabilities.  Out of 10 launches, none were confirmed to have reached orbit.

At the time (July-August 1958) USSR had put only only two satellites in orbit.  NOTS-EV-1 was part of the US reaction to get into the space race, not to "kill" the Soviet space program.

There was a follow-on ALOP program called NOTS-EV-2 "Caleb" that tested anti-sat capabilities but, by all released accounts, it was a dismal failure.

I was just quoting the caption on one of the photos I found. The Wikipedia entry essentially states exactly what you said. It said there were only three launches of the NOTSINK/EV-1 version. During the first one, the launch aircraft went into a spin after release of the missile at 40,000 feet. The pilot only caught a glimpse of a cloud of smoke after the missile launched and assumed that it exploded.  Because of that, only one tracking station was on and tracking. It caught a weak signal that could have been the the missile in orbit, but no other tracking station were on so no one knows. The next two launches were complete failures. I didn't read anything about the Caleb program. I just think the missile looks pretty cool. Would make an interesting missile to hang off a Skyray. Probably aren't any decals for the airframes used for the launches, no?

On 3/24/2020 at 8:27 AM, Tailspin Turtle said:

My most recent look at this: http://tailspintopics.blogspot.com/2012/10/painting-crush-points-red.html

Note that they rarely (never) have the red edge on the gear doors even when the slat wells are red.

Tommy I always enjoy your informative blog posts but I must admit this one had me seeing red....  :coolio:

I'll show myself out now....

On 3/23/2020 at 5:53 PM, Darren Roberts said:

If you're referring to the leading edge slat wells, they should be gray. How far along have you gotten? If you haven't done the wings yet, Steel Beach makes a nifty little brace set that helps glue the wings together. 

Darren, I got one of the wing brace sets. There are no instructions. I guess its supposed to be simple enough for anyone to figure out, but let's just suppose for a second that I not able to. Not say that I can't, no, I'm smart. But just pretend I don't know how... How does one use them? :dontknow:

9 hours ago, Mstor said:

Darren, I got one of the wing brace sets. There are no instructions. I guess its supposed to be simple enough for anyone to figure out, but let's just suppose for a second that I not able to. Not say that I can't, no, I'm smart. But just pretend I don't know how... How does one use them? :dontknow:

Put the inner and outer wing piece together and then CA glue the brace in the raised rectangle where the wing fold pieces would normally have gone. The shapes fit the rectangular openings. Hopefully that makes sense. I don't have a Skyray kit on hand. Otherwise I'd take pictures.

Edited by Darren Roberts
41 minutes ago, Darren Roberts said:

Put the inner and outer wing piece together and then CA glue the brace in the raised rectangle where the wing fold pieces would normally have gone. The shapes fit the rectangular openings. Hopefully that makes sense. I don't have a Skyray kit on hand. Otherwise I'd take pictures.

Thanks, I'm not building it yet but I'll save this for when I start. If I still can't figure it out I'll contact you again. Cheers!