So glad there are some large companies that have the resources and know-how to step in, step up, and help out when needed. I'm sure there are many stories like this going on behind the lines with all sizes of companies and individuals. I think this would be a good place to share such stories. Either large operations or even the just as important neighbor down the road that's stepping up and helping out however they can. Let's see the positive side to our human race. I think it's more than worth pointing out. 

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/24/business/ford-3m-ge-ventilators-coronavirus-duplicate-2/index.html

Bill

The NHL's Pittsburgh Penguins, Giant Eagle Grocery Stores, and a local Pittsburgh landmark restaurant chain called Primanti-Bros have teamed up to help displaced employees find temporary work in the grocery stores until this all gets sorted out:

https://www.nhl.com/penguins/news/giant-eagle-penguins-and-primanti-bros-partner-to-support-workers/c-316235372

I live in the country about 45-50 minutes from the 'Burgh' so these are local businesses here. Not big companies compared to some, but at least they are doing what they can to help those in need of work.

As an aside, if you haven't  had a Primanti-Bros "Pittsburgher" sandwich and a draft Yuengling then do so if you ever visit Pittsburgh. The original location in the strip district is recommended.  

There is a grassroots movement in the Research Triangle, NC area to help local restaurants and their employees weather this.

Harbor Freight is donating their entire stock of masks, face shields, and nitrile gloves to emergency medical providers. 

The owner of the Carolina Panthers donated $1.6 million to help with the pandemic response.

In stark contrast, here’s yet another reason why I’ll never darken Hobby Lobby’s doorstep: “Continue working the employees”  

Ben 

5 hours ago, Ben Brown said:

Harbor Freight is donating their entire stock of masks, face shields, and nitrile gloves to emergency medical providers. 

So that's why my order of two boxes of gloves hasn't shipped. :hmmm:

49 minutes ago, Mstor said:

So that's why my order of two boxes of gloves hasn't shipped. :hmmm:

got to tell a tale on a friend of mine, being as masks and gloves are the topic.

A few years back we found ourselves working with epoxy compounds that would stay on you for a year, Steve decides we need rubber surgical gloves, and the boss told him to order them. He gets on line and orders twelve dozen gross boxes. They show up one morning with the fork truck bring in a pallet load of them. I looked at Steve and said WTF!! Then another and another pallet shows up. In the end it was over half a truck load of rubber gloves! We couldn't used that many in twenty years. Started giving them away, and were are still in the first pallet. That's been almost twenty years now, and they still have tons of them. Hospitals  won't touch them  as they don't consider them sterile. Boss just laughed it off, and said TACOM never returns anything!

gary

2 hours ago, ChesshireCat said:

Hospitals  won't touch them  as they don't consider them sterile.

That's crazy. Hospitals and clinics use hundreds of non-sterile gloves every day to protect themselves and others from contamination. Sterile gloves are only needed in surgery or in sterile procedures. Hospitals use many sterile gloves each day, but nowhere near the amount of non-sterile gloves.

11 hours ago, mightymax said:

Other than not closing, it sounds no different than what my company told us.

All vacation time will be used. once the employee has depleted those hours then we should file for unemployment...

Max B.

My company (and a lot of other companies) have the same policy. Luckily, I am able to work from home but there are some who can't due to they are "hands on workers", for them, the company is trying to come up with ways to help them.

What Hobby Lobby is doing is not unusual, contrary to popular belief large companies don't have a large war chest of funds that they can use to cover workers in situations like this.

25 minutes ago, GW8345 said:

What Hobby Lobby is doing is not unusual, contrary to popular belief large companies don't have a large war chest of funds that they can use to cover workers in situations like this.

Agreeing with GW, this is standard time policy at most companies including mine.  You use sick days, then vacation, the STD, then LTD if you have it.  These are unprecedented times I would hope some companies are more understanding/generous with their employees if they are able.

I looked up info on HL, and I suspect they have plenty of $$$ to help employees.   HL revenue was $4.6B last year and HL CEO David Green was on Forbes list as one of the 400 richest Americans (in 2012).

I don't think HL can be considered an "essential business". Founder David Green, in a letter to employees, said his decision to remain open was because of "a message from God bestowed upon his wife Barbara Green."  Regardless of their religious beliefs they should be closing like every other non-essential business, not waiting for the National Guard to shut them down.  If things get so bad we need the Guard they will undoubtedly have more important things to do rather than policing an arts & crafts store...

I'll just say that all of the Hobby Lobby employees I know LOVE their job. Whether this changes that is yet to be seen but some people don't feel companies are obligated to give people jobs.

BUT in keeping on track with the positive. Many local restaurants here have been opening up their kitchens even if they are shut down in order to cook free meals for the first-responders. Also some places are offering truckers free supplies at various stop stations around the area. Pretty cool how people can work together. Seen it many times after hurricanes and this is not changing that attitude. Good people are everywhere.

Just now, niart17 said:

...BUT in keeping on track with the positive. Many local restaurants here have been opening up their kitchens even if they are shut down in order to cook free meals for the first-responders. Also some places are offering truckers free supplies at various stop stations around the area. Pretty cool how people can work together. Seen it many times after hurricanes and this is not changing that attitude. Good people are everywhere.

I liked reading this! Its easy to be critical, angry, and upset during times like this. But its important to remember that there are a lot of people from all walks of life pitching in and helping out as best they can. I think the feel good stories are important to highlight. Too much doom and gloom isn't healthy in my opinion.

Keep them coming folks!

The word Harbor was used earlier, and the following is an idea for use in times of need, so I'm going to say it fits here, just came across this, "Hospital boat solution to Coronavirus crisis? 23 March 2020"

https://www.maritimejournal.com/news101/industry-news/an-expandable-hospital-boat-solution-to-a-crisis

Given the Covid19 outbreak, world governments are looking at how fast a pandemic can lead to a severe shortage of isolation beds. Could the answer be a quickly deployed, modular and expandable hospital vessel? Alego Development’s 36m by 19m catamaran has three enclosed decks with “around 20 operating rooms and treatment facilities” CEO Capt Sondre Sandbye told MJ. The bow has a broad access ramp and an area for a fast-response paramedic vehicle. Below, the twin hulls each hold a pair of diesel/biofuel gensets and as there’s a focus on low emissions the boat is a hybrid, the batteries also providing emergency power for the hospital if a shore connection isn’t available. Above is an upper open half-deck and optional helipad. However, the big difference between this and other hospital vessels is that it can be modified according to need.

New Orleans Saints QB Drew Brees and his wife donated $5 million to the State of Louisiana to help those in need:

https://www.today.com/news/drew-brees-talks-decision-donate-5-million-help-louisiana-t176971

Not sure if other sports stars or celebrities have stepped up like this, but Drew Brees and family just threw down the gauntlet for others in professional sport or Hollywood  to follow.

Brees just earned himself a new fan.

Happy modeling all!

EDIT: the link.

Edited by Don
14 minutes ago, habu2 said:

Dallas County issues Cease and Desist order to force Hobby Lobby to close. 

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/coronavirus/dallas-county-judge-issues-cease-desist-order-to-hobby-lobby/2344503/

They brought it on themselves.  Declared themselves “essential” when they weren’t on any list of essential businesses made by the state or federal government.  The founder apparently said that God told him it was OK to stay open.  No sympathy whatsoever.