• 4 months later...

This is a fairly old post, but I just came across it. It is quite incorrect that only 6 units received the Fig.7 GAR-11 nuclear falcon mod - my count is 20- 10 ADC squadrons plus the ADWC, plus the 6 squadrons in Europe, and two in PACAF and the one in Alaska. Total airframes by my count is about 464 As and 48 TF-102As.

On 8/14/2020 at 7:48 AM, mppd@yahoo.com said:

This is a fairly old post, but I just came across it. It is quite incorrect that only 6 units received the Fig.7 GAR-11 nuclear falcon mod - my count is 20- 10 ADC squadrons plus the ADWC, plus the 6 squadrons in Europe, and two in PACAF and the one in Alaska. Total airframes by my count is about 464 As and 48 TF-102As.

Very interesting. Care to share your source of information?

Cheers,

John

Every Fig.8 airplane (airplanes equipped with the Hughes IR sensor ball in front of the windscreen) was modified from an airplane brought up to Config. 7 standard - which primarily involved the GAR-11 Nuclear Falcon mod. A few Fig. 7 airplanes were lost to accidents, so may not have received the IR sensor mod. Photo evidence and microfilm aircraft records show which units were involved. The training unit deuces at Perrin AFB never received the Fig.7/8 mods, nor did a few ADC units which passed their airplanes on to the ANG. Same for the PACAF squadrons that transferred their Config. 6 airplanes to the ANG in 1964.

The 509th FIS at Clark AFB started getting config. 8  F-102As from about 63/64 and had them in the ADC grey scheme. What is little known was that the 16th FIS out of Naha apparently had a few with the IR balls for their sudden 1964 deployments to Clark and SEA before they were sent WOPE  to Conus after Oct. 64.  This is from a photo of a grey one at Naha w/ the IR ball in a Japanese aviation magazine, I believe. None of the other PACAF F-102 units got configuration 8 aircraft before redeploying to CONUS under Project Clearwater (Gold Flow) The 64th and 82nd were deployed to PACAF in 66 to make up for the now premature departure of F-102A units. The 82nd were seen at Yokota in camo but with a subdued tan squadron insignia on the tail. 

The 199th FIS HANG got configuration 8 aircraft as part of the second re-equipment in the mid 60s. The initial F-102s from Dec. 60 didn't have the IR balls. 

Grant