ARC Discussion Forums

as205

1/72 PG Millennium Falcon Build

RJjphvK.jpg

Well, I'm going to do it.  I have pulled out my Ban Dai 1/72 Millennium Falcon.  It is a great kit and I've seen some beautiful builds of it.  I'm going to try and come close the what others have done, but in the end I'll call it done when I have it where I feel good about it, even if it doesn't quite match the studio model.  It has a lot of parts, some are so fine that they put them in a separate box to protect them.  Anyway here goes.

I’ll be starting with the cockpit.  I don’t do figures or cockpits very often so they are not one of my strong points.  I hope I can do the model justice.  I started by spraying primer on the cockpit seats and the figures.

3iV4MLp.jpg

I then gathered the colors I needed for the figures, Flesh, Aged White, White Gray, Red Brown, Black, Blue, White, Light Brown, Gold, Sand Yellow, Transparent Yellow and Silver.  I used a small fine brush to get the faces and hands, then started on the clothes with the varying shades of white, gray and brown.

lzW8zl1.jpg

The padding on the seats got a coat of sand yellow.  C3-PO and Chewbacca got and undercoat of black.  Then C3-PO got painted Gold and then that was overcoated with the transparent yellow which really gave him a nice gold look.  Chewbacca got an overall coat of red brown.  His belt, face and legs got a drybrush of black to darken those areas. Then a drybrush of light brown.  The boxes on his belt were painted silver and his face got a light drybrush of black to bring out some details and highlight his nose.  The figures aren’t perfect but for me they turned out well.

ejivB5I.jpg

Next I started on the cockpit control panels.  BanDai includes a some nice decals for the instrument panels.  I have heard from many sources that the decals don’t lay down well over the control panels and decal solvents don’t  help much.  So in light of that, I made a set of custom decals using my decal paper and my ALPS printer.  The decals turned out well.

aRe5ARj.jpg

After clear coating the front control panel I applied the first two decals.  After several applications of Micro Sol the decals finally laid down pretty well over the raised details.  It was good that my custom decals are so thin, otherwise I don’t think they would have worked at all.  I'll apply some more Micro Sol on these to get them to lay down a bit better.

Le6J3yF.jpg

The control panel between the two main panels had some LARGE raised areas and when I tried to apply a decal to that area, the decal just would not conform well at all.  I ended up taking a fine brush and hand painting the area.

yRwbCiZ.jpg

Next I added the control wheels.

LYAJGg4.jpg

Finally I attached the control panel to the front seats.

bPrelQp.jpg

It looks like from that experience that the panels on the side walls will have to be hand painted.  I’m still holding out some hope that the decal for the back wall will work.  The raised areas on that panel are not that large.  We shall see.

More to come.

I think you did better on those figures than I could have done. :thumbsup2:

Thanks, PFlint.  I don't do them very often and I'm always anxious every time I do one.

Randy

Brave move, Randy!  Got a kit myself that I haven't dared touch in fear of not doing her justice.  Too scared of that paintjob : )   Beautiful work so far.  Following along.

23 hours ago, as205 said:

RJjphvK.jpg

Well, I'm going to do it.  I have pulled out my Ban Dai 1/72 Millennium Falcon.  It is a great kit and I've seen some beautiful builds of it.  I'm going to try and come close the what others have done, but in the end I'll call it done when I have it where I feel good about it, even if it doesn't quite match the studio model.  It has a lot of parts, some are so fine that they put them in a separate box to protect them.  Anyway here goes.

It looks like from that experience that the panels on the side walls will have to be hand painted.  I’m still holding out some hope that the decal for the back wall will work.  The raised areas on that panel are not that large.  We shall see.

Randy,

Pretty cool stuff, you've done a nice job on the figures and cockpit area. You might

want to sand-down the back wall smooth, before applying that decal - therefore it

could work better for you. Will be watching this build and your progress, wishing U

much success!

Thanks for the kind words crackerjazz, nyart17, and Underdog,

I'm sure it will be some slow going at first while I figure out how to attack the challenges.

Randy