ARC Discussion Forums

Curt B

Latest SU-57 Video?

Have any of you seen the latest video of the Su-57? At last it's the most recent that I have seen, which doesn't mean much.   I got a feed from Quora, and it's the most comprehensive video that I have seen of that airplane.  In the air, it sure looks a lot like the YF-23, which I personally felt was a FAR more beautiful aircraft than the clunky F-22.  Just my opinion, of course.  The Su looks great, though they don't show any of the 4 aircraft doing any serious maneuvering, no snap rolls or the cobra, or anything significant, at least to this layman's eyes.  In fact, they seem to be showing a very graceful, large airplane, moving (relatively) slowly.  Just curious what others think.

Direct link to video from GreyGhost's link above:

1 hour ago, Whiskey said:

From what I've read, the missile portion of the video is fake.

If so, the smoke interaction with the airflow around the aircraft has been done extremely well (speaking from what I have seen through my own involvement with missile tests on older, more smokey missiles launched at low speed / high AoA). My first thought was actually that it looked genuine, but of course there are some very talented CGI artists out there.

The launch is real (to me) but not one from it's missile-bay?
There is this small sleek fuselage design near the wingroot, enough space to hide a small IR?
My guess is where the actuators are hidden for the forward flipper-fin (or what ever it is called).

Anyway, it still cannot match a F-22.

Edited by cag_200

In the video you can see a white missile protruding forward of the wing leading edge just inside of the leading edge flap, in a position spanwise corresponding  with those very much discussed fairings.

The missile is seen for a few seconds even before it's launched, it's definitely not coming from one of the main bays between the engines nacelles.

Frame freeze seems to show a modified AA-11 Archer.

On 3/26/2020 at 3:03 PM, cag_200 said:

The launch is real (to me) but not one from it's missile-bay?
There is this small sleek fuselage design near the wingroot, enough space to hide a small IR?
My guess is where the actuators are hidden for the forward flipper-fin (or what ever it is called).

Anyway, it still cannot match a F-22.

The whole sequence doesn't make sense.

The a/c surfaced eleven years  ago (wow I didn't remember it was so far), 

they tend since the begining to overhype and overgloss every sortie the prototypes make.

They never attempted weapon separation and verification tests and didn't make comments/videos/media coverage about it.

The most we saw about this, is one very blurry video.

And now after the crash of the first production model before it was ever delivered, event which still doesn't get an official statement about his cause,

they just decide to make missile launch from internal weapons bay.

And one thing more: it is me or bort numbers of the numerous a/c on this clip are purposely hidden/edited thanks to this Michael Bay edit style?

These a/c really look like the previous prototypes of the Su-57.

Regardless if the missile shot was real or not, the Su-57 is a very nice looking aircraft.

Now, what can it do against an F-22 Raptor in combat is another story... good luck on

that one!

2 hours ago, The Underdog said:

Regardless if the missile shot was real or not, the Su-57 is a very nice looking aircraft.

Now, what can it do against an F-22 Raptor in combat is another story... good luck on

that one!

I noticed the other day that it doesn’t even have S ducts. Just a straight shot to the compressor fans. How stealthy can it really be.  Just seems to me to be a 4.5 gen aircraft. Not really a true 5 gen.  My guess the F-22 would eat it for lunch. 

4 hours ago, achterkirch said:

I noticed the other day that it doesn’t even have S ducts. Just a straight shot to the compressor fans. How stealthy can it really be.  Just seems to me to be a 4.5 gen aircraft. Not really a true 5 gen.  My guess the F-22 would eat it for lunch. 

Not to mention all the exposed rivet heads. 

It is nice looking though....