1/35 Kitty Hawk MH-60L "Super 63"

Finally after years of wanting to know information about my friend Joe Pascetti's bird he crewed down in Mogadishu-Super 63, I have been able to befriend many crew chiefs and pilots who were there and was given many pics of OGS and their MH-60L's.

Here's 2 pics I was given of the C2 MH-60.

received_10211079949415145_zps89qurjei.j

20190409_221305_zpsafsibc5f.jpg

So I finally started building it. My build looks like a child's toy compared to Pete's HH-60G over on LSP.

First I had to correct the instrument panel and center console to represent close to what they looked like on the real MH-60L. The caution/advisory panel is located on the bottom left of the console on the real thing.

KH's panel, though very nice, represents a later year panel and has the CA on the instrument panel itself. So I took and cut down and sanded the Academy part and shaved off the detail on the console and glued it in place.

Next i shaved off the detail on the KH IP and replaced it with some PE detail parts from Airscale.

20190605_001654_zpscit8r4jb_edit_1580890

That's all for now 

Tim

Edited by hawkwrench

Now onto painting of the center console and instrument panel using Vallejo NATO black as the base followed up by detailing/drybrushing the knobs and switches using Tamiya Sky Grey. 

20200327_225457_zpsc8rk23rv.jpg

20200327_225956_zpshiydz4j9_edit_1585364

Comments and critiques welcome. 

Tim

Next was the cockpit and cabin floor. 
I started off by painting the floor Light Ghost Gray followed by putting down strips of 1.5 mm Aizu tape.
I then sprayed Tamiya Sky Grey to represent the non-slip striped found on the cabin floor.

20200203_011359_zpsv638o2yo.jpg

Tim

Started on the Robbie tank that will go inside Super 63 and added some extra detail using micromark rivet decals. You won't see it, but I know it's there. 

I painted the tank Panzer Dark Rubber and the fittings were first painted aluminum with guards red and cobalt blue over that and now I'm ready for the straps to be put on.

20200315_014736_zps29lvf5w6.jpg

Tim

Next came building up the cockpit. Watch out for the tail rotor pedals mounting peg. It's smaller than the hole in the floor. You'll have to use Super glue to get it to hold. I painted the floor armor a shade of NATO green and dry brushed it using white pastel chalk. The cockpit floor was given a wash using AK black camouflage to give it that worn look followed by ammo of mig Africa dust for that Somalia look.

I also scratchbuilt the crew chief's floor ICS hot mike switches using styrene blocks sanded to shape and stretched sprue for the button. 

20200323_150901_zpsyfyxlnxl.jpg

That's all for now 

Tim

Edited by hawkwrench

A little bit more work on the cockpit. I gave the instrument panel and center console a good dusting of North Africa dust to make it look like a dusty helo flying in Somalia. 

49715236621_b34cf4da01_k.jpg

Tim

Edited by hawkwrench

Very nice.  It is coming along really well.  I plan to start the HH-60G in a couple of days.  I am finishing up my M920 MET w/M870A1 trailer and CAT excavator as a load now:  https://armorama.kitmaker.net/modules.php?op=modload&name=SquawkBox&file=index&req=viewtopic&topic_id=283311&page=1

Its amazing how much bench time you can get while locked down.

Looking good Tim, you are off to a great start!  I'll be following along with your build.   Quick question - on your picture of the real thing at the top of this thread, is it me or does the ALQ-144 look "different"?  Might just be the lighting?

Edited by 11bee
  • 2 weeks later...

Not much. The fuel tank will be there. I'm gonna have survival kits attached to the sides up high and water jugs below them on both sides. 

Just like this 

49767225822_6c3eddbb86_c.jpg

Tim

Edited by hawkwrench
  • 2 weeks later...

Coming along great.  Nice job with the dust.  Are the floor armor panels the laser-cut ones that someone here did a while back?  They look really good.  I have a couple sets of the laser-cut ones and was hoping they fit the KH kits.

Edited by HeavyArty
  • 2 weeks later...

I finished up the right side cabin sidewall tonight. Also, I did a little more work on the cabin roof. I like the way it's turned out except for the left cabin light. I'll have to fix that tomorrow night.

49876801416_2883595d4a_k.jpg

49877105827_ce0fb59402_k.jpg

Tim

Edited by hawkwrench
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

A little bit of an update. I glued down a piece of styrene, painted it and weathered it to represent the aluminum plate that the C2 console seats (UH-1 Huey seats) were mounted to.

After that I glued on the crew chief sidewall armor to the cabin walls and began to layout how the MH-60L would have been equipped.  I'm sure it will change once I hear from its crew chief.

50008047507_5824cc9d12_k.jpg

Tim

Edited by hawkwrench