Big Changes for the Marines

2 hours ago, TaiidanTomcat said:

almost feels like you didn't bother to understand the article you posted. 

Nope, just questioning why the Marines have always been so obsessed with moving into niches occupied by other services.  Just doesn't seem efficient to have another branch developing their own ASW capability.  But hey, if it gets them some extra budget dollars, I guess it's worth it. Only drawback is that those budget dollars are going to be getting pretty scarce now that we are going to have a new sheriff in town.    

21 hours ago, 11bee said:

Nope, just questioning why the Marines have always been so obsessed with moving into niches occupied by other services.  Just doesn't seem efficient to have another branch developing their own ASW capability.  But hey, if it gets them some extra budget dollars, I guess it's worth it. Only drawback is that those budget dollars are going to be getting pretty scarce now that we are going to have a new sheriff in town.    

I don't think theyre going into the other niche quite like you think. and you can look at current 2030 plan and get what they idea is. this is being an trip flare and harrassing force, and hosting coordinated fires if a sub is found until even more assets move in. basically watchmen, but you need special stuff to see subs. 

its hard to make predictions, especially about the future however, as for the "new sheriff" the defense stocks are climbing already -- you can compare the 8 years of the VP slot with libya, syria, yemen, afghan, Iraq II ISIS boogaloo, surges and Russian confrontation. I have no idea why the "old sheriff" is as military inactive as jimmy carter it turns out, had a sec def resign over trying to leave syria and was barred from trying to get troops out of Afghanistan by a bipartisan effort. turns out he was the most dovish president of the last 4 decades. 

https://www.cnn.com/2015/12/04/politics/air-force-20000-bombs-missiles-isis/index.html

Without getting anymore political (i'm trying to be tactful and not get the thread locked) The progressive wing of the left side party is being thrown under the bus for lack of election gains. Bernie probably isn't long for this world (hes the defacto leader, but a real warhawk himself as well) they don't realize it yet but theyre about to get "blue fired" and hard.

The establishment loves war. In defense and military circles a lot of people are happy. the "adults" are back in charge. thats why you can see how successful we have been in wars already all over the world and especially the middle east.

In a game where the only winning move is not to play... we truly did get tired of winning, 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/28/2020 at 6:55 PM, 11bee said:

On the post above, all the time I was in, I never heard anyone refer to the 101st as the prezzy’s private police force.   They are good guys but they are a light infantry unit, nothing more, nothing less.  

Maybe you mean the 82nd?  

Totally agree here. 82nd was/is the "PD of the Prez" and Ft Bragg was/is America's 911 response. Unless its a fluff or p.r. job, small Army units are always there first, (before the press). 11HE9 here 83-87.

• 1 month later...
On 12/20/2020 at 9:09 AM, 11bee said:

Interesting video detailing the Chinese Marines.   Compared to the new USMC force structure, these guys have large numbers of organic light tank and artillery (tube and rocket) units.     

Wow nothing about inclusion, diversity, power points, safety, or integration of LGBTQ+ or pride month.

These push overs don't know anything about what its like to be a 21st century warrior in 4th generation social media battlespace.     low tolerance acceptance space. 

1 hour ago, TaiidanTomcat said:

Wow nothing about inclusion, diversity, power points, safety, or integration of LGBTQ+ or pride month.

These push overs don't know anything about what its like to be a 21st century warrior in 4th generation social media battlespace.     low tolerance acceptance space. 

And that will surely be their downfall TT.   Our woke, enlightened troops should have no issues dispatching these commie barbarians straight to hell.  

21 hours ago, 11bee said:

And that will surely be their downfall TT.   Our woke, enlightened troops should have no issues dispatching these commie barbarians straight to hell.  

Indeed! and I low-key noticed a stunning lack of diversity-- its very cringe and super yikes. We will win because diversity is our strength. and they have less so we are ergo, stronger. 

shutterstock_293500967.jpg

The only flag i'll salute. The Chinese fear this flag. 

you win 50 internets today, John. 

Pride%20Month%20flyby%20celebrates%20LGB

OMG this is everything 😍

Edited by TaiidanTomcat
8 hours ago, GreyGhost said:

So, does this mean the Marines will be adopting the U of Hawaii's mascot namesake? :dontknow:

-Gregg

Oh my....  that is so 90's.  I find that mascot to be offensive on so many points, I'm not even sure I can discuss them online.  

THIS is a reason why we need to redouble our efforts to ensure that our military is the most enlightened, inclusive, sensitive fighting (I really don't like that word either, it smacks of hyper-violent white privilege) force on the planet. 

Let's all take a knee and reflect on this while we celebrate our non-denominational winter holiday.

On 11/17/2020 at 7:40 PM, Steve G said:

Totally agree here. 82nd was/is the "PD of the Prez" and Ft Bragg was/is America's 911 response. Unless its a fluff or p.r. job, small Army units are always there first, (before the press). 11HE9 here 83-87.

and you can walk on water!!! The 82nd was always known as the "Me Too Organization". Always heard about but never seen

glt

Well I guess I am learning a lot more about modeling then I thought. I spent 33 years in the Corps and never once did I hear that the 82nd AB was America’s 911 force?  Pretty much I had always heard that was the Marine Corps?  You know the doctrine, like the National Defense Act, 1947, amended In 1952....etc etc, that the Marines were to be a Force in Readiness?  Amphibious Force etc. Seems I remember reading something ........

Anyways, fought along side all of our services with no exception. Army,Navy, USAF, even coastguardsmen in these last conflicts, always professional always putting  steel on target. But when It comes to floating around the world in our little flat bottom Amphibious Assault ships waiting for the call, when we got it, I didn’t see the 82nd there waiting on us to come ashore.  Maybe I am way off, been known to happen.

New CMC is doing interesting things for sure.  But, I still see Marine Expeditionary Units Doing wrk ups and deploying off both coasts and going to all of the “Stan’s”, Hawaii, Okinawa etc.

The heart of what we do is Operational Maneuver From the Sea, hold our objective as best we can and wait for the “Big guys” to get there US Army, and US Air Force turn it over, pack our trash and get back on the damn boat and float someplace else the President, Country needs us.  Heavy armor aside, losing our tanks, arty, etc, we still need to be able to deploy grunts to where they are needed.  Support them with TACAIR, Assault Support Rotary Wing, ok tilt rotor too....and the Amphibious Ready Group ships and materials. Last time I checked, we don’t just do that in PACOM. 

r/Dan

Edited by YF65_CH53E
11 hours ago, YF65_CH53E said:

Well I guess I am learning a lot more about modeling then I thought. I spent 33 years in the Corps and never once did I hear that the 82nd AB was America’s 911 force?  Pretty much I had always heard that was the Marine Corps?  You know the doctrine, like the National Defense Act, 1947, amended In 1952....etc etc, that the Marines were to be a Force in Readiness?  Amphibious Force etc. Seems I remember reading something ........

Anyways, fought along side all of our services with no exception. Army,Navy, USAF, even coastguardsmen in these last conflicts, always professional always putting  steel on target. But when It comes to floating around the world in our little flat bottom Amphibious Assault ships waiting for the call, when we got it, I didn’t see the 82nd there waiting on us to come ashore.  Maybe I am way off, been known to happen.

New CMC is doing interesting things for sure.  But, I still see Marine Expeditionary Units Doing wrk ups and deploying off both coasts and going to all of the “Stan’s”, Hawaii, Okinawa etc.

The heart of what we do is Operational Maneuver From the Sea, hold our objective as best we can and wait for the “Big guys” to get there US Army, and US Air Force turn it over, pack our trash and get back on the damn boat and float someplace else the President, Country needs us.  Heavy armor aside, losing our tanks, arty, etc, we still need to be able to deploy grunts to where they are needed.  Support them with TACAIR, Assault Support Rotary Wing, ok tilt rotor too....and the Amphibious Ready Group ships and materials. Last time I checked, we don’t just do that in PACOM. 

r/Dan

82nd was guarding the ports in Saudi Arabia when the Marines showed up.

Sometimes boats are not in the right position, or your objective is inland, so you need someone who can get off the ground quickly.

That's the 82nd primary job. Get in, and hold, similar to the Marines.

4 hours ago, Da SWO said:

82nd was guarding the ports in Saudi Arabia when the Marines showed up.

Sometimes boats are not in the right position, or your objective is inland, so you need someone who can get off the ground quickly.

That's the 82nd primary job. Get in, and hold, similar to the Marines.

I thought that was the Ranger’s job?   Get in and hold the objective, so the 82nd could come in unopposed and continue to hold the objective until the Jarheads arrived and kept things nice and quiet until big army showed up.  

4 hours ago, 11bee said:

I thought that was the Ranger’s job?   Get in and hold the objective, so the 82nd could come in unopposed and continue to hold the objective until the Jarheads arrived and kept things nice and quiet until big army showed up.  

Rangers are there to destroy everything in rapid fashion so I've been told by my two grandsons. Today is Christmas Day. I celebrated my last Christmas in 1968, and now all I do is remember two Christmases I spent in Asia. I never liked inter service rivalries, but have been known to participate on occasion. Always felt guilty after words, but would never admit it. Now in my old age, I just worry about them. Maybe we all should do that. 

I start my day off by reading the KIA reports for the day in my era. (yes there were KIA's on Christmas Day). So why do I do such a morbid thing you ask? To force myself to remember them ( and I do see folks I knew on occasion). Then I thank Jesus for putting his hand on my back, and getting my sorry butt outta there! I've learned the coding that the Fed doesn't want you to know. That makes it even uglier. Yet the ugly stuff is about a month away. I was around marines during my 15 months of playing the game. Didn't really like the REMF's, but also stayed away from them too. The others; I have the foremost respect for. I remember the 82nd arriving in Chu Lai like it was just yesterday. Didn't know the Air Force had that many C141's! Some of it was comical, and a little bit was very sad. These guys even brought washing machines and dryers! With no running water for close to a hundred miles. Then they got out and ran up and down Highway One in their little scooters. They told them not to, and you can guess the rest. 101st was always deep into the double canopy but with two exceptions. If you tagged along with them, you also updated your will and testament. I've done that too often. First Air Cav claimed the most KIA's, and I'd never have said that. Reflects heavily on your judgement. Same can be said for a lot of other folks as well. You know who they are. The Air Cav had a presence in I-Corp, but only saw then once. Not being derogatory. The 196th was never on my bucket list, but they were a crack outfit. Just run by ticket punchers, and we buried a lot kids due to the thinking. Same can be said about some other famous outfits. I was most (and I do mean MOST) impressed by one small group of men. They were posted on a long and narrow island east of Tam Key. Marine Force Recon was what they were, and would have given most anything to walk with them. They conned me into helping them off load a slick that was over loaded with enough junk to start WWIII. Trust me these guys were as tough as anybody I've ever seen (well maybe not as tough as Bennie Adkins). Trust me off loading that slick was an event in itself that I will never forget. Pray that those young men went home in one piece.

All I'm saying is there are a lot of good units to expound upon. So be nice as it might be your kid someday. Right now that's the 10th Mountain and the 75th Rangers for me

gary

18 minutes ago, ChesshireCat said:

All I'm saying is there are a lot of good units to expound upon. So be nice as it might be your kid someday. Right now that's the 10th Mountain and the 75th Rangers for me

gary

You should be proud of those kids. RLTW and anyone who can deal with the suck known as Ft Drum has my utmost respect.  Merry Christmas Gary.    

On 12/25/2020 at 8:50 PM, 11bee said:

You should be proud of those kids. RLTW and anyone who can deal with the suck known as Ft Drum has my utmost respect.  Merry Christmas Gary.    

I got one back from Iraq (75th Rangers) a couple days before Christmas, but sent the other one to Afghanistan. Funny thing about him is that he is currently waiting for a slot to open up in a Ranger company. Still wears his tab and all that goes with it. Now his two older brothers can't waive their CIB's at him! The older boy did two tours with the 10th Mountain (the Ft. Carson bunch), and is a civilian now. The middle boy was grouped in with the 502nd infantry in his tour in Afghanistan. He won the Bronze Star with the V Device, plus a couple stripes. Add to this, he was on the front page of The Stars & Stripes! Got the Oak Leaf Clusters for his Bronze Star in Iraq, plus another stripe. Plus he was awarded some other medal (could not understand what his Mom was saying), and they informed him back in November that he will be an E6 pretty soon in the states. I really wanted Ben (the youngest) to go to OCS, but he chose not to. He has a college degree in engineering. The funny thing about him is that he was wearing shorts down at Benning, and they sent him Ft. Drum. Whined and cried bout it being cold (shirt sleeve weather around here), and now they send him where it's really cold! Now we worry about Ben. Taking a serious toll on their Mother.

gary

On 12/25/2020 at 2:32 PM, 11bee said:

The 75th plans and conducts special operations in competition and armed conflict against strategic and operational targets in pursuit of national or theater objectives. They conduct military operations independently as well as jointly with conventional forces, other SOF, and interagency personnel. The Regiment performs complex infantry missions beyond the expertise of conventional infantry, airborne, or air-assault units. Direct-action operations are usually deep-penetration raids or interdiction operations against targets of strategic or operational significance. They may also conduct direct action operations within conventional or multinational force areas of operation throughout the range of military operations through close coordination. Direct action missions for Rangers typically include joint forcible entry operations, airfield seizures, and the capture or destruction of targets.

4 hours ago, fulcrum1 said:

The 75th plans and conducts special operations in competition and armed conflict against strategic and operational targets in pursuit of national or theater objectives. They conduct military operations independently as well as jointly with conventional forces, other SOF, and interagency personnel. The Regiment performs complex infantry missions beyond the expertise of conventional infantry, airborne, or air-assault units. Direct-action operations are usually deep-penetration raids or interdiction operations against targets of strategic or operational significance. They may also conduct direct action operations within conventional or multinational force areas of operation throughout the range of military operations through close coordination. Direct action missions for Rangers typically include joint forcible entry operations, airfield seizures, and the capture or destruction of targets.

that's a lot of stuff!

gary