Recommendations for water slide decals

Well, I was warned and I tried to adjust, but when I went to apply the kit decals to my Attack Squadron RQ-8B firescout the color of the decals blended right into my lightened gull grey paint.  Not only that, but two of the first four decals disintegrated as I transferred them.

I feel that I’m left With the only option to scan/recreate the sheet - with a darker coloring and print them myself. So I’d like your advice on decal paper.  I’ve been burnt by false ratings on amazon, so I’d rather trust fellow modelers when I can. 

0B038817-9A60-4C69-9DAC-2C39B396AF4D.jpeg

Edited by Cloud in the Wind

Yeah, been there on that kit.. I was able to get another sheet from Attack Squadron, strip the model, and redo with a lighter paint. Grey is a tough color to print, as it's printed by utilizing the white beneath. 

You might try contacting Brengun as they are now producing the kit.

• 5 months later...

So, a couple of interesting developments on this topic and many thanks to DNL for your help.  First, I tried to scan and print my own decals ... The sheets were expensive, the scans ... not good.  I tried grey scale, black and white and color and none of them were very "good" even at 300px.  Then what did come out okay, didn't look much better after sealing with varnish.  SO, no.

However, I must say, in the midst of COVID, from across the pond, and with no insistence on proofs or whatever else, Brengun stepped up and made another sheet available to me.  I'm not going to put them out there for doing the same in every instance, but I'm really very impressed with that level of customer service.  In addition, I'm not sure if it was the age of my sheet or if they've made some adjustments, this replacement sheet was still very thin but maintained its structure and did not disintegrate. Further its possible that some color correction was applied on this subsequent print.  This bodes well for later production runs.  

Lastly, I did, prior to applying the new decals, touch my kit with a coat of airbrushed white paid to further lighten the tone.  

IMG_1240.jpg