Revell 1/48 Marines UH-34D Spacecraft recovery helicopter **FINISHED**

Hello,

I suppose there has to be some sort of seat belts for these type of seat.  Anybody has any idea or reference?  I'll repaint the seat legs in aluminum as steel is too dark for it. Theyr are not fixed in place yet.
2v2HcmJmGxJ21ND.jpg

Thanks,

Ismael

Hello,

Thank you for the info!

Based on that, I came up with this quick contraption using whatever I had available: brass, steel wire and tape.  Of course it still needs to be painted.

2v2HcVsSqxJ21ND.jpg

2v2HcVs55xJ21ND.jpg

2v2HcVsjGxJ21ND.jpg

2v2HcVsVFxJ21ND.jpg

2v2HcVsqqxJ21ND.jpg

What do you think?

Thanks,

I think those look great and will fill the need perfectly. Now you just need to make two more sets for a normal load out. 

Edited by Tank

Hello,

Except for the brass tubes and plastic seats (right), everything you see here is masking tape 🙂

2v2HcnmNqxJ21ND.jpg

2v2Hcn4cdxJ21ND.jpg

The ruler is because I'm also sharing with some friends that have no idea what this is all about.

Thanks,

Ismael

Hello,

A helicopter without a collective pitch /throttle control is like a  car without an accelerator pedal.  That's a big NO-NO.
I had to fix that omission in the kit. 

2v2HcycqrxJ21ND.jpg

Thanks,

Ismael

Hello,

Here is round 1 of many of applying decals:  
There are 17 decals and several hours here so far.  The decal sheet is nice but my OCD is finding many of them are not the correct size. The box art and instructions are very misleading. I'm using actual pictures of the event on Sept 21st, 1961. My pet peeve with models is that kit's decals are almost always the wrong size. Be it cars, aircraft of armor, I've yet to find a perfect set of properly sized kit's decals.
Pardon the crappy cell phone pic.
2v2Hcr5g5xJ21ND.jpg

This is my main reference pic.

2v2HcjuYNxJ21ND.jpg

Thanks,

Hello,

OK, I have to admit I was pleasantly surprised with the resolution of these decals, especially the small ones.
These are real closeups much bigger than actual size.

2v2HwvfdoxJ21ND.jpg

2v2HwvfzzxJ21ND.jpg

Thanks,

Hello again,

After assembly, the tail rotor was painted black.  Then I masked the tips and painted white.  Then, after dry, I masked the white stripe and painted the red.    
  I then added some drybrush on the leading edge on the blades.  As these spin into the air it was very common to loose some of the leading edge paint exposing some metal underneath.  It is subtle and hard to see in the picture, but it is there in all 4 leading edges.

2v2HwvAa2xJ21ND.jpg

Thanks,

On 4/6/2020 at 6:41 PM, ismaelg said:

As these spin into the air it was very common to loose some of the leading edge paint exposing some metal underneath.  It is subtle and hard to see in the picture, but it is there in all 4 leading edges.

Thanks,

In my den I have a H-34 tail rotor blade I bought at a scrap yard near D-M in the mid-90s...they had many H-34s all of which were eventually cut up...though at the time they were still selling some, one went to a veterans group. Another H-34, sourced from Seattle, ended up with a Vietnam veterans group in Sandpoint, Idaho. 

Anyway, you are correct, the leading edge has a lot of wear...a very narrow bit at the root (basically just the leading edge), gradually widening towards the tip. The area in the final 6" red section, the worn/bare area dramatically widens to perhaps 1 /3 of the chord. As the bare metal (full aluminum in color) area widens, you can see a narrow trace of a zinc Chromate-like primer.

Edited by JohnEB

Hello,

Can you tell any difference between the kit's exhaust part and the one I modified? I added 4 more parts to it. Still need some tweaking but you get the idea.

2v2Hwfv8rxJ21ND.jpg

Thanks,

Hello,

Here are more pics of the tail rotor.  At the end of their service, those tail rotors were pretty beaten up. But the one I'm replicating was in prime service at the moment, so I limited the wear on the tail rotor.  You can always put a bit more but it is easy to overdo.

2v2HwfUVFxJ21ND.jpg

2v2HwfUDgxJ21ND.jpg

Thanks,

On 4/8/2020 at 5:44 AM, midnightprowler said:

Any way you could share a pic of that blade?

Every time I try to post a photo here it says it's too large.

Can the moderators here send me an email I could use to send them a shot?

Or you could send me a PM with email address.

Glad to be of assistance.

Please note the data stencil is on the back of the blade. Also, little paint loss on the back (inside) blade surface. And the color is semi-gloss.

One more thing...

I was at D-M on business when I bought the blade from the scrapyard. When I checked in for my return flight to Wright-Patterson, the man at the TWA (remember them?) counter said...

"You don't have to bring your own propellor, we have jets now.",  probably the wittiest line I ever heard someone come up with at the spur of the moment.

The flight attendants let me put it in the overhead bin, and I got a few looks walking through O'Hare with it on my shoulder.

Today, I'd probably be arrested for even bringing the thing to the airport. 🙂

Edited by JohnEB
Add