Covid-19 and how to help each other...no politics

Here's a really good 17 minute interview with Dr. Anthony Fauci (Director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases). 

Trever Noah of the Daily Show takes this very seriously and asks good questions which get very interesting answers.

Here is another interesting interview (36 minutes) with Professor Kim Woo-joo from Korea University Guro Hospital. Korea had already dealt with SARS and MERS outbreaks, so has an interesting perspective on this pandemic. It's not in english but has subtitles.

Edited by dmk0210

This American doctor gives a very sobering assessment of the situation....I can not stress this enough.....please respect this virus and take it VERY seriously.

3 hours ago, Mstor said:

Projections, state by state, from the Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation (IHME).

http://covid19.healthdata.org/

Use drop down box to select state.

That is a very interesting website....rather sobering.....then there is the fear of a second wave....and so on until a vaccine is released or herd immunity is achieved.

Yeah but that's the crummy type you find in public washrooms in malls and you need to pull out about six feet of it because you had tacos about a half hour ago in the food court, but can only get out about 3 inches at a time, better off buying a newspaper.

Ken    

OK, this is really weird. I don't know what to think. So, are hospitals taking advantage of the "crisis" to scarf up money? If there is no "real" crisis here in the USA yet, then what is going on? It seems the reporting out of Italy was legit, or was it? Is there a crisis that just hasn't really hit us yet?

I'll admit, I confused.

I’m not in NYC but I am in and out of 2-3-4 hospitals a day in DFW. I can tell you this for a fact:

Yes hospitals look empty. You know why?  Because hospitals are for the most part closing all but one entrance and, at that entrance, only letting in essential personnel. Unfortunately visitors are not “essential” and that’s why footage of lobbies, waiting rooms etc look empty. As one on those “essential” persons I can tell you things are quite busy where it matters in a hospital. The above video is just as irresponsible and uninformed as the mainstream media it is supposedly outing. The virus is real, the crisis is real, and there is a very Very VERY high possibility I will catch this virus while doing my job to help save the lives of dumbasses like those in the above video. 

You’re welcome. 

Edited by habu2
28 minutes ago, habu2 said:

I’m not in NYC but I am in and out of 2-3-4 hospitals a day in DFW. I can tell you this for a fact:

Yes hospitals look empty. You know why?  Because hospitals are for the most part closing all but one entrance and, at that entrance, only letting in essential personnel. Unfortunately visitors are not “essential” and that’s why footage of lobbies, waiting rooms etc look empty. As one on those “essential” persons I can tell you things are quite busy where it matters in a hospital. The above video is just as irresponsible and uninformed as the mainstream media it is supposedly outing. The virus is real, the crisis is real, and there is a very Very VERY high possibility I will catch this virus while doing my job to help save the lives of dumbasses like those in the above video. 

You’re welcome. 

Completely completely agree. My brother and I work in healthcare (he in Ohio, me in California): the industry is flooding, but only for critical departments like Emergency Medicine and Intensive Care. Elective-surgeries and non-critical procedures/appointments are being cancelled and rescheduled because they are wishing those patients to stay home to also practice social distancing. It's damn terrifying when we're discharging patients with pneumonia (normally hospitalized) from hospitals to make space for more critically ill, COVID19-positive patients. Our colleagues in NY are unfortunately on the front lines of this.

We don't hear IEDs or RPGs blow up in our neighborhoods, but that doesn't mean our country isn't at war.

Knowledge is power, please enlighten the skeptical or less informed and please continue to be responsible in your communities!

1 hour ago, habu2 said:

You’re welcome. 

I meant no disrespect to you or anyone else by posting this video @habu2. I have not ever and will not, not even after watching it myself, believe for one moment that the virus is fake or the crisis is not real. COVIN-19 is very real and very dangerous to those that it affects. And yes it makes total sense about what you described for hospitals and clinics closing all entrances except for one to keep foot traffic at a minimum or controlling it as easy as possible. 

There is, however, something amiss after seeing somthing like this and that is why I followed it up with a question posed at anyone that lives or is around the NYC area. Most of the self footage published in that video was from NYC. Do I honestly believe everything in it? No. If someone I know or I believe I can trust can either corroborate or deny what I saw in this then I will be more at ease either way.

My old lady watched it and she said that one of the people talking in it is a known conspiracy nut. She keeps up with the news much more than me and I trust her opinion. I don't know what these people were actually filming, but I am not going to take them at face value. I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Let me just preface this by saying I do believe and fear this virus.....I believe it is the real deal.

There is a co-worker of mine that believes every conspiracy theory and he says the virus is a hoax and the people in the hospitals simply have the flu.  He says the virus is to control the people and introduce laws etc that will get a tight grip of the people in each country.

To me he is a nut bag....heck he spends plenty of time trying to explain to me that the world is flat etc.  He is also an anti-vaxxer.....he says the virus was caused by the introduction of 5G in China.The vaccine will be the final step in controlling all the people.

He also smokes and tells me smoking doesn't cause lung cancer.

I always feel like my IQ has dropped 10 points after listening to him for even a few minutes. 

I will continue wearing my N95 mask in public.

Drug addicts in Canada...

It seems that the border to the US being closed to all but commercial traffic has seriously slowed down the flow of drugs (crystal Meth) into Canada.  The Meth heads are all freaking out and violent crime has gone up.  I'm guessing a skinny drug addict will not stand a chance if they get Covid-19 as a healthy immune system is critical to fight this virus.  I'm guessing they will not survive this pandemic.

I will say this again, I do believe the virus is very real. I believe that people with low or compromised immune systems are dying or at risk of dying.  My kids and I are following the instructions set forth by our local government and adhering to the shelter-in-place orders and social distancing rules so that we or others don't get sick. I just have a hard time believing that people are dying in the numbers being reported in the media however.

55 minutes ago, Whiskey said:

I will say this again, I do believe the virus is very real. I believe that people with low or compromised immune systems are dying or at risk of dying.  My kids and I are following the instructions set forth by our local government and adhering to the shelter-in-place orders and social distancing rules so that we or others don't get sick. I just have a hard time believing that people are dying in the numbers being reported in the media however.

Don't believe the media.  Their job is to create drama to sell papers/magazines/make you click the links for add revenue.  For God sakes don't believe anything you read on social media (yes including places like this).

Find the website for your state's dept of health services. They will have the most accurate numbers.  Also John Hopkins University has been a good source for accurate data.

For Texas, here you go:  https://dshs.texas.gov/coronavirus/

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/map.html

https://hub.jhu.edu/2020/01/23/coronavirus-outbreak-mapping-tool-649-em1-art1-dtd-health/

Be very careful of Covid19 maps. Some are reported to install malware. The ones above from John's Hopkins are legit.

This is very real people. Do not be mislead by the ignorant and the conspiracy theorists. 

Be safe, keep your social distance and stay home whenever possible.  

Edited by dmk0210
49 minutes ago, dmk0210 said:

Don't believe the media.  Their job is to create drama to sell papers/magazines/make you click the links for add revenue.  For God sakes don't believe anything you read on social media (yes including places like this).

Find the website for your state's dept of health services. They will have the most accurate numbers.  Also John Hopkins University has been a good source for accurate data.

For Texas, here you go:  https://dshs.texas.gov/coronavirus/

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/map.html

https://hub.jhu.edu/2020/01/23/coronavirus-outbreak-mapping-tool-649-em1-art1-dtd-health/

Be very careful of Covid19 maps. Some are reported to install malware. The ones above from John's Hopkins are legit.

This is very real people. Do not be mislead by the ignorant and the conspiracy theorists. 

Be safe, keep your social distance and stay home whenever possible.  

Didn't I just say exactly what I am doing? Which is what citizens are supposed to be doing?

My wife and I are on day 19 of being sick. I wouldn't wish this on anyone. It's possible that we may be over CO-19, but have new infections we're battling as my symptoms have changed and it seems that smells and allergens are overwhelming both my wife and me. Going outside, even briefly can knock us out. Never had allergies here last time I was in Kansas.

I've gone full South Korea on my way of thinking of this virus. 

So, masks outside and gloves on. Even if the mask doesn't stop the airborne particle/droplet it will be a barrier from you touching your face and if you are asymptomatic it will be a better barrier than none when you talk/cough/sneeze.

When we get back home, we drop clothes (Most of our going out has been to the ER) and all items in the garage and we take a shower. Groceries? We haven't DECON them yet. With vegetables and fruit you can use a light vinegar solution and other items you can use diluted bleach. Of course you can just let the shelf stable items sit for awhile outside (72hrs), but I will still hit them with alcohol or diluted bleach. 

We've also started washing our clothes, sheets, covers, towels, etc more often and some daily using bleach were possible and drying on high. As soon as our symptoms clear for 72hrs straight we'll wash the sheets and pillow cases a little less. 

We also clean and wipe down much more than before. My parents are with us and we have three young boys. Trying to stay away from the pink eye too....

Just what we're doing. 

1 hour ago, Whiskey said:

Didn't I just say exactly what I am doing? Which is what citizens are supposed to be doing?

Sorry, just throwing that info out there for everyone.  You mentioned the media and there's a lot of outdated or bad info out there, even from the major new outlets.  Sorry, but videos like that one above about the hospitals aren't helping anyone.

Not criticizing you. It sounds like you are staying safe and maybe most importantly keeping everyone around you safe. That's what's most important. 

Edited by dmk0210
9 hours ago, SBARC said:

Let me just preface this by saying I do believe and fear this virus.....I believe it is the real deal.

There is a co-worker of mine that believes every conspiracy theory and he says the virus is a hoax and the people in the hospitals simply have the flu.  He says the virus is to control the people and introduce laws etc that will get a tight grip of the people in each country.

To me he is a nut bag....heck he spends plenty of time trying to explain to me that the world is flat etc.  He is also an anti-vaxxer.....he says the virus was caused by the introduction of 5G in China.The vaccine will be the final step in controlling all the people.

He also smokes and tells me smoking doesn't cause lung cancer.

I always feel like my IQ has dropped 10 points after listening to him for even a few minutes. 

I will continue wearing my N95 mask in public.

Geeze, this is a great reminder why we should always model in well ventilated areas and lay off the glue sniffing lol