Covid-19 and how to help each other...no politics

After every shift (prison, which is STILL NOT SCREENING new admits or staff coming in the building) I remove my boots and jacket in the garage.

Duty belt and equipment bag is Lysol sprayed and left in the front hall.

Uniform removed and put immediately in laundry, I go upstairs and shower.

Tomorrow, day off, inside of the car is wiped with Lysol so the boss can go get food. Hopefully its not raining so I can wash the car, for the first time in months.

I stay in the house and build a model or two.

We have yet to been hit in my prison, but when we do it will be huge. There is NO way to keep 6 feet apart when there is 168 inmates on one range. Staff rooms can not even separate 6 feet.

They have been saying they plan to release tonnes of near complete sentence inmates, but that of course has not happened. Look for a crime wave once they do.

3 hours ago, boscosticks said:

Geeze, this is a great reminder why we should always model in well ventilated areas and lay off the glue sniffing lol

What? Now you tell me. I picked a fine day to try to quit sniffing glue. :whistle:

4 hours ago, fulcrum1 said:

My wife and I are on day 19 of being sick.

Man, I am really hoping that you will come through this OK. I can't imagine what you're going through. Hang tough. I know I speak for everyone when I say our thoughts and prayers are with you. Get well, both of you.

13 hours ago, phantom said:

After every shift (prison, which is STILL NOT SCREENING new admits or staff coming in the building) I remove my boots and jacket in the garage.

Duty belt and equipment bag is Lysol sprayed and left in the front hall.

Uniform removed and put immediately in laundry, I go upstairs and shower.

Tomorrow, day off, inside of the car is wiped with Lysol so the boss can go get food. Hopefully its not raining so I can wash the car, for the first time in months.

I stay in the house and build a model or two.

It is good to see I'm not the only one trying to keep my home as a virus free clean zone.

12 hours ago, fulcrum1 said:

Thank you, it’s a blessed and humbling experience. Every breath a praise and each new day a gift.

Hang in there Brain...Godspeed for you and your wife to make a full recovery.  My wife and I had a nasty "cold" for a month from mid Feb to mid march.....no fever....no sore throat...minor cough so I don't think it was the virus.....but it made me very tired and did not feel like a normal cold.  I will take a covid-19 antibody test once it is available to see if I had the virus.   I'd really like to know if I had it with mild symptoms and now I am immune.

9 hours ago, Mstor said:

What? Now you tell me. I picked a fine day to try to quit sniffing glue. :whistle:

I'm not into drugs or even drinking, but this virus has me drinking beer regularly just to relax.

7 hours ago, SBARC said:

I'm not into drugs or even drinking, but this virus has me drinking beer regularly just to relax.

I used to enjoy my beer. That or a nice Jack and Coke, but with the meds I'm on, no drinking. Haven't had a drink in over ten years. I really miss it now. Could use something to settle the nerves.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/2/2020 at 2:54 PM, Mstor said:

Man, I am really hoping that you will come through this OK. I can't imagine what you're going through. Hang tough. I know I speak for everyone when I say our thoughts and prayers are with you. Get well, both of you.

On 4/3/2020 at 12:44 AM, SBARC said:

Hang in there Brain...Godspeed for you and your wife to make a full recovery.  My wife and I had a nasty "cold" for a month from mid Feb to mid march.....no fever....no sore throat...minor cough so I don't think it was the virus.....but it made me very tired and did not feel like a normal cold.  I will take a covid-19 antibody test once it is available to see if I had the virus.   I'd really like to know if I had it with mild symptoms and now I am immune.

Thank you. My wife and I are on day 29 and things seem to be a bit better. Last week started out rough. Symptoms are not as prevalent as before...but still there. I'm only on sleep meds now and as needed aspirin or Tylenol. My wife is on meds as she has asthma, but is doing much better. My taste came back again, which is nice! My nose and sinuses are still a bit off and we both can only do so much in the house before  we have to take a long break. This virus is like a roller coaster for us. 

Lord willing the worst has passed, it's our prayer. My strength has been in my faith with Jesus Christ. He's been my help and comfort when it felt like the medical system (both civilian and military) failed us.….exception is the ER teams and firefighters/paramedics, they've been fantastic. We're with a new Doc as our PCM and so far so good. I'm thankful to be going through this as I'm seeing things clearly and the refinement in my faith. I'm blessed in so many ways, I'm looking forward for the opportunity to help others. 

I was talking to one of my friends who lives in Shanghai yesterday and apparently a number of symptomless confirmed cases have appeared in China. The figure is the part I’m not clear on. She told me they said there were 6700+ cases yesterday and 1000 today...

Does anyone no more about the link between the virus and loss of smell and taste? I just spoke to my mother and talked to her about my aunt who is in hospice right now. My mother said she mentioned she has no taste or smell which just happened. I believe this is a early sign of the virus and has me really worried for my aunt and family members.

After reading through the whole thread, there's not much I can add to what has already been said or posted. This thing is very real and scares the crap out of me, and I've been in EMS for 27 years. I work for a fire department based EMS and at a hospital. We wear so much personal protective equipment on the ambulance that I feel relatively safe. I still change clothes before coming home and my work uniform goes directly into the washer on hot.

The good thing is that our call volume has gone down a little and the ER is pretty slow. It's because for the most part people are heading the warnings and not going to the hospital for stupid stuff. Trauma is almost non-existent (car accidents and such) because people are staying home and inside. But if you feel sick and have a fever, do NOT take it lightly and infect others. Get tested if you can and please wear a mask.

1 hour ago, USAFsparkchaser said:

Does anyone no more about the link between the virus and loss of smell and taste? I just spoke to my mother and talked to her about my aunt who is in hospice right now. My mother said she mentioned she has no taste or smell which just happened. I believe this is a early sign of the virus and has me really worried for my aunt and family members.

Loss of smell and taste are indeed symptomatic of COVID. They used to say a fever was required, but while highly likely, it isn't always present. 

On 4/23/2020 at 8:07 PM, USAFsparkchaser said:

Loss of taste and smell is also common in older folks.  My Mom's sense of taste was almost nil by the time she hit 70.

But is is also symptoms for Covid-19.

A gradual decline in these senses may be common with advancing age but the sudden loss of taste and smell (at any age) is a symptom of COVID-19.  By sudden experts usually cite terms such as "overnight" or "in one day".

I would suggest reading some neutral data (as opposite to mass media):

https://swprs.org/a-swiss-doctor-on-covid-19

It's not a joke, it seem like people that have problems with heart or high blood pressure may be more endangered. Those numbers and cases shouted by media at us every single day and stress it inflicts may really make some people more liable to death.Not only from CoVid but also from heart attack. 

Also sun is giving us vitamin D, after the winter we don't have much of it and if we miss the usual spring intake our immune system may be weakend.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3166406/

I have question on vaccine studies. I was curious about the H1N1 and googled the vaccine for it. It looks like it was developed and administered in less than 1 year. Anyone here might know the difference in the development might be for H1N1 and Covid19 vaccines.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/pandemic-resources/2009-pandemic-timeline.html

I am by no means a medical expert but I would surmise that the H1N1 vaccine was developed than one for COVIN-19 because they were able to identify it's characteristics faster. The limited literature I have taken the time to read on for COVIN-19 has more or less stated that scientists are still trying to figure this thing out to its full extent.

COVID-19 is more easily transmitted than previous coronavirus strains. One of the recent findings is the presence of covid antibodies in subjects that never presented symptoms (asymptomatic). This means these people were most likely - and unknowingly - responsible for some of the community spread we’ve seen. No one knew they were sick so they didn’t take precautionary measures. This makes it all the more difficult to stop the spread without a vaccine. I don’t want to open the whole stay at home vs save the economy debate again, I’m just saying that unless everyone continues strict social distancing and mask wearing as businesses begin to open back up we will see a second wave most likely due to asymptomatic people. 

12 hours ago, habu2 said:

COVID-19 is more easily transmitted than previous coronavirus strains. One of the recent findings is the presence of covid antibodies in subjects that never presented symptoms (asymptomatic). This means these people were most likely - and unknowingly - responsible for some of the community spread we’ve seen. No one knew they were sick so they didn’t take precautionary measures. This makes it all the more difficult to stop the spread without a vaccine. I don’t want to open the whole stay at home vs save the economy debate again, I’m just saying that unless everyone continues strict social distancing and mask wearing as businesses begin to open back up we will see a second wave most likely due to asymptomatic people. 

Please understand I am honestly curious about this. In the cases of other coronavirus strands, was there as much of a desire to perform antibody tests on asymptomatic people? In other words, is it possible that there were more people with some of the previous strands, and they simply were never factored in because the death rate and or spread rate didn't appear as high? I'm just trying to understand all the data available if there is to be a comparison. 

22 hours ago, USAFsparkchaser said:

I have question on vaccine studies. I was curious about the H1N1 and googled the vaccine for it. It looks like it was developed and administered in less than 1 year. Anyone here might know the difference in the development might be for H1N1 and Covid19 vaccines.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/pandemic-resources/2009-pandemic-timeline.html

1 hour ago, niart17 said:

Please understand I am honestly curious about this. In the cases of other coronavirus strands, was there as much of a desire to perform antibody tests on asymptomatic people? In other words, is it possible that there were more people with some of the previous strands, and they simply were never factored in because the death rate and or spread rate didn't appear as high? I'm just trying to understand all the data available if there is to be a comparison. 

Sorry I don't know the answer to this.  Most of my knowledge on COVID-19 comes from my job in the medical field, I worked in a different industry when previous strains hit.