Covid-19 and how to help each other...no politics

On 5/1/2020 at 12:38 PM, USAFsparkchaser said:

Also wondering why the experts predict the virus will keep coming back until a vaccine is found. Didn’t SARS/MERS go away and never come back? They did not have a vaccine for them.

SARS and MERS have significantly higher fatality rates than COVID-19 but are less contagious. COVID-19 is more infectious — the underlying SARS-CoV-2 virus spreads more easily among people, but has a much lower fatality rate, however because it spreads so easily it is leading to greater case numbers. 

Despite the lower case fatality rate, the overall number of deaths from COVID-19 far outweighs that from SARS or MERS.

There have been no cases of SARS for over a decade. But MERS is an ongoing concern.

I think that the best example we can take is from Europeans, that setting a table in front of their building, where there are essential items (food, personal hygiene, etc.), so whoever needs something takes it, and whoever can donate something, leave it ..... I'm doing it from Colombia with my neighbors and so I don't feel bad for spending all day in movies123, because I do something for the community

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

When do we expect Pacific nations to be able to ship to the US again?  I have paid for two Academy 1/48 F-4B/N kits with no delivery in sight.  I ordered one in March from an S. Korean ebay vendor.  He cancelled my order and refunded my money within a month citing inability to ship to the US due to CoVID postal restrictions. So I immediately re-ordered another kit off ebay, this time from Australia on 15 April.  Paid for, but still not shipped.  So I ordered a third kit from Hobby Search Japan a few days later.  HSJ informed me that they are holding the kit pending lifting of US import restrictions from most Asian nations.  Or perhaps it was a Japanese restriction.  They posted a notice to their website.  So, do we know when the US expects to allow imports from Australia, Japan and S. Korea?  I will say that last week I did receive a small canopy paint mask and PE set from BNA in Australia after about 6 weeks. Just curious, Dutch

I placed two orders in early April with two different online stores in Japan.  One order arrived in mid-May, still waiting on the second order.  When I inquired about the status in early June I received a canned statement with the following link:

Thank you for contacting us Your order has been dispatched and is in transit with the Japan Post, but could take up to a maximum of 2-3 months to be delivered. This is due to a backlog of shipments caused by a lack of cargo planes making international deliveries, and because of the overwhelming number of packages waiting to be dispatched, shipments to America have temporarily stopped being accepted by the Japan Post. https://www.post.japanpost.jp/int/information/2020/0423_03_en.html We expect your item to be delivered to you as normal as it has already been accepted by the Japan Post, however it may take longer than expected to be delivered due to the current exceptional circumstances being experienced by the postal service. Our team kindly asks for your patience until your package is delivered. If in the unlikely event it is returned to us, we will contact you and fully refund your payment.

https://www.post.japanpost.jp/int/information/2020/0423_03_en.html

My second order for an Academy 1/48 F-4N Phantom II from an eBay vendor in S.Korea has been canceled by them and refunded. I can't win for losing here! So I ordered one from HobbyLink Japan [HLJ]. It is OOS, but let's see if it shows up. I have had very good dealings with the owner, Scott, from when he first started ~1995, so let's see if the third time is the charm!

Dutch

Edited by Dutch
On 7/6/2020 at 7:17 AM, Dutch said:

When do we expect Pacific nations to be able to ship to the US again?

With the continued rises in coronavirus cases and deaths here in the states, it doesn't appear that other countries are in any hurry to resume shipping to us. Its a real shame as there are lots of overseas products I've been itching to get. I tried to order one of the Quintas cockpit sets, but after two months it is still sitting in Russian customs awaiting a flight I guess. Raymond of Lucky Model has been keeping up with any changes to shipping out of HK. In his last newsletter it says that shipping to many West and Eastern European countries is starting to open up, but the USA is still a no go. Just too risky I guess.

35 minutes ago, Mstor said:

With the continued rises in coronavirus cases and deaths here in the states, it doesn't appear that other countries are in any hurry to resume shipping to us. Its a real shame as there are lots of overseas products I've been itching to get. I tried to order one of the Quintas cockpit sets, but after two months it is still sitting in Russian customs awaiting a flight I guess. Raymond of Lucky Model has been keeping up with any changes to shipping out of HK. In his last newsletter it says that shipping to many West and Eastern European countries is starting to open up, but the USA is still a no go. Just too risky I guess.

I don’t see how it’s a risk shipping TO a country. The packages go one way, from there to here, so it’s not clear how the virus being in the recipient county can affect anyone in the sending country.  Also, packages from Europe can still get the the US, and you can get stuff shipped from some Asian countries via more expensive courier service, just not cheaper EMS.  I’m thinking there is more to it than appears, maybe political.

It’s my understanding that surface shipping gas resumed to the US. Air shipments are still on hold primarily due to the lack of available air freight space and a large backlog of parcels.  So it’s not a matter of risk it’s a matter of available space. 

8 hours ago, habu2 said:

It’s my understanding that surface shipping gas resumed to the US. Air shipments are still on hold primarily due to the lack of available air freight space and a large backlog of parcels.  So it’s not a matter of risk it’s a matter of available space. 

Yes, but I thought that some of the large commercial passenger carriers had removed seats in several of their aircraft and turned them into temporary parcel carrier freighters. Did I hear correctly?

Edited by Dutch
22 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

I don’t see how it’s a risk shipping TO a country. The packages go one way, from there to here, so it’s not clear how the virus being in the recipient county can affect anyone in the sending country.  Also, packages from Europe can still get the the US, and you can get stuff shipped from some Asian countries via more expensive courier service, just not cheaper EMS.  I’m thinking there is more to it than appears, maybe political.

Well, someone has to man the aircraft flying to the US. I guess there would be a risk of exposure to those crews when they overnight before returning. I don't know what their reason are. I just see that various countries have not resumed shipping to us.

I guess you are right about shipping from European countries. I think they are shipping, but there are probably fewer flights and a backlog of shipments. Perhaps that is what is holding up my Quintas shipment. Oh well, whatever the reasons, it seems to be very difficult to get stuff shipped from overseas (unless, as mentioned, you use UPS or FedEx and pay bucco bucks).

I am getting surface mail from Hannants.co.uk in two to three weeks.  They are about the only Int'l vendor that I have received orders from since CoVID kicked off.  (I forgot about the BNA order from Australia, but that was only a PE set and a canopy mask.)  I have two outstanding orders from AeroSpezialle (Germany) and one from Switzerland, but the packages are on hold.  Plus the two orders on hold from Japan.

Edited by Dutch

Hmm, interesting,

International Journal of Infectious Diseases Volume 97, P396-403, August 01, 2020
Treatment with hydroxychloroquine, azithromycin, and combination in patients hospitalized with COVID-19

Samia Arshad
    Paul Kilgore
    Zohra S. Chaudhry
    William O’Neill
    Marcus Zervos
    Henry Ford COVID-19 Task Force

Conclusions and relevance
In this multi-hospital assessment, when controlling for COVID-19 risk factors, treatment with hydroxychloroquine alone and in combination with azithromycin was associated with reduction in COVID-19 associated mortality. Prospective trials are needed to examine this impact.

https://www.ijidonline.com/article/S1201-9712(20)30534-8/fulltext

Discussion
The results of this study demonstrate that in a strictly monitored protocol-driven in-hospital setting, treatment with hydroxychloroquine alone and hydroxychloroquine + azithromycin was associated with a significant reduction in mortality among patients hospitalized with COVID-19. In this study, among one of the largest COVID-19 hospital patient cohorts (n = 2,541) assembled in a single institution, overall in-hospital COVID-19 associated mortality was 18.1% reflecting a high prevalence of co-morbid conditions in COVID-19 patients admitted to our institution. The independent predictors of mortality in our study included age ≥65 years, CKD, and severe illness at initial presentation as measured by the oxygen saturation levels on admission, and ventilator use reflect findings similar to those reported in earlier studies (Rio and Malani, 2020). These predictors also underscore the high-risk for COVID-19 experienced by residents in our hospital catchment population in Metropolitan Detroit, Michigan. Michigan is among the states with the highest number of cases of COVID-19 and deaths. In Detroit, our residents suffer from substantial preexisting social and racial health disparities that place our patients at increased risk of severe disease and higher mortality (CDC, 2020).

In the present study, multivariate analysis performed using Cox regression modeling and propensity score matching to control for potential confounders affirmed that treatment with hydroxychloroquine alone and hydroxychloroquine in combination with azithromycin was associated with higher survival among patients with COVID-19. Patients that received neither medication or azithromycin alone had the highest cumulative hazard. The benefits of hydroxychloroquine in our cohort as compared to previous studies maybe related to its use early in the disease course with standardized, and safe dosing, inclusion criteria, comorbidities, or larger cohort. The postulated pathophysiology of COVID-19 of the initial viral infection phase followed by the hyperimmune response suggest potential benefit of early administration of hydroxychloroquine for its antiviral and antithrombotic properties. Later therapy in patients that have already experienced hyperimmune response or critical illness is less likely to be of benefit. Others have shown that COVID-19 hospitalized patients are not diagnosed in the community and often rapidly deteriorate when hospitalized with fulminant illness (Mc McCullough and Arunthamakun, 2020).

On 7/6/2020 at 8:08 AM, habu2 said:

I placed two orders in early April with two different online stores in Japan.  One order arrived in mid-May, still waiting on the second order. 

I received my second order today, maybe the air freight option is opening up at last.

minor grumble, I paid extra for the fast air freight delivery option, only for it to be held hostage for three and a half months...  :bandhead2:

7 hours ago, habu2 said:

I received my second order today, maybe the air freight option is opening up at last.

minor grumble, I paid extra for the fast air freight delivery option, only for it to be held hostage for three and a half months...  :bandhead2:

The order I placed with Quintas back in mid-April has finally made it to the USA after spending about two months in Russian customs. I'm not holding my breath yet, but if it finally makes it to me, I will be refunding the refund that Alex of Quintas gave me and I will finally be able to report on the quality of their 3D cockpit decals.

Covid is now an issue in my family; my brother today relayed that his wife has covid, but he's tested negative, so far.

They live in Tennessee near the Army base where he retired a few years ago & she was still working for the US government.

Who can know where she picked it up, extended family? work? shopping?

If I'm almost 2/3 a century old then my brother and his wife are just over half a century old & we know age makes a difference.

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, EmeryManuel said:

I always try to keep my grandparents at home, provide them all products they need. Also the same way I try help other older neighbours 

You are one OK guy! We need more like you. Now, would you like to come over between 2 and 3 tomorrow and help with some chores? :whistle:

• 3 weeks later...

The Daily Mail (aka the 'Daily Fail') is a tabloid newspaper with a reputation for sensationalising stories to within an inch of their lives - one of several such newspapers in the UK. Like many of their kindred, they don't always spend too much time checking facts and figures if the story makes good headlines.

I would be wary of taking anything they say too seriously without checking it against some independently verifiable data from a reliable source.