Covid-19 and how to help each other...no politics

In these troubling times it helps to work together.  Sure our various governments might not be doing the best job, but there is no reason we can't rise above that and help each other survive this virus.

As scale modelers our average is creeping up each year and that makes us more at risk to this virus.

So please post any help tips or ideas that can help other ARC'ers to get though this pandemic.

Here are a few links I have found helpful to keep myself informed each day.

First is Dr John Campbell in he UK....he is the one bright light in this nightmare

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCF9IOB2TExg3QIBupFtBDxg

Second is a webpage that tracks the numbers daily

https://wuflu.live/

Third is a webpage that also tracks the numbers daily

https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

To fight this virus you need a healthy immune system.

Vitamin C and Vitamin D are very helpful in this regard.

If you live far from the equator, then Vitamin D is needed because we get it from the sun and northern climates to offer very little Vitamin D in the winter.

Social distancing and stay home seems to be working in my province.  Our rate of climb of new daily cases being admitted to the hospital has dropped 50%.  We are not out of woods, but were seeing promising results.  It is suggested here we stay 2 meters apart from each other.

I am 59 and I figure I can help the situation by not getting sick myself.  I stay home except to work and I wear a N-95 mask with a tight seal when I go out.  My wife stays at home now and does not like going out.

• SBARC pinned this topic

Here's the authoritative WHO site

https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019

They publish a daily situation report

https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/situation-reports

Worldwide cases exceeded 100k by Mar 7, 200k by Mar 19, and 500k by Mar 28 (today).

I find this website to be the most informative tracking site, especially for US viewers:
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/
Click on a country and you get more details. For the US it lists individual states:
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/
The right hand column of each state has useful source and news links including each state's official websites, many of which have numbers broken down by county.
You will also find other useful links and info there.

I stayed out of the previous locked  thread due to the politics, but one overlooked point I would like to add regarding the possibility of relaxing the quarantine is that outbreaks are very much regional and how much population density has an impact on spread, both internationally and here in the US..
US Task Force member Deborah Birx made this point clear saying that many individual cities and regions in the US need to be treated like individual countries in how they deal with the outbreak.

What is happening in New York/New Jersey is tragic and nothing like what is happening here in Idaho. Over half of the US cases are in NY/NJ.
I was shocked to learn that the subways (sardine cans) were still running there and that most medical personal take those subways to work everyday. The fact that they reduced the number of subways in service means that the remaining subways are that much more packed with potential spreaders. Pray for New York...

While extreme shelter in place rules for New York are appropriate, Wyoming might be fine going about business while practicing social distancing, hygiene and common sense.

In the coming weeks if it is determined that it is safe for some areas to return to work (while maintaining precautions), that is a good thing. An indefinite total national lock down leading to a total financial collapse would be disastrous.

I hope that my comments above can be thoughtfully considered and not lead to a continuation of the conversation/political fight of the previous thread. No comments for-or-against are necessary. Mods, feel free to delete this if necessary (but please leave the worldometers info).

:cheers:

Everyone has heard how important it is to wash your hands frequently.  What I haven't heard is a reminder to change the hand towels in your home more frequently, especially if your household numbers more than one.

6 hours ago, SBARC said:

To fight this virus you need a healthy immune system.

Vitamin C and Vitamin D are very helpful in this regard.

The mineral Zinc helps keep the immune system strong. 

Eat a healthy diet! I know in times like these we turn to comfort foods but they aren’t the most healthy either. Cut back on sugar, eats lots of fruits and veggies, lean proteins, and less processed foods if possible.

At the end of February I knew this was coming I overhauled my diet to healthier foods. I still take a daily supplement as well. Down 20lbs Since then by cutting back on processed foods and eating more fruits and veggies.

Edited by Charlie D.
4 hours ago, Jim S said:

The mineral Zinc helps keep the immune system strong. 

My wife caught a cold about 2 weeks ago. Immediately we started freaking out that it might be the Coronavirus but she didn't have the commonly listed symptoms of fever and dry cough. Instead she had a sore throat, runny nose, sneezing, a productive cough, mild fatigue and no fever.
I began researching and read about zinc and zinc lozenges and how it helps fight viruses and might help with the Coronavirus. The problem that I read about was that the body has trouble absorbing zinc and therefore the studies of zinc were inconclusive.
I caught the cold myself and kicked it's butt in only about a day. My wife kicked the cold after a few days but developed a sinus infection. Our doctor prescribed the antibiotic Azithromycin (Z-Pac) to fight the sinus infection which was likely a bacterial infection. We're both healthy now.
I had also read about Hydroxychloroquine as a potential treatment for the Coronavirus and how it allows zinc to be better absorbed.

I was going to post here about this, so did a Google search to find some sources. I came across the article and video I am going to share.
Keep in mind that I was reading about all of this almost 2 weeks ago and this doctor only started treating patients a week and a half ago.
The doctor in the video that started using the combination of Hydroxychloroquine, Zinc and Z-Pac and has treated almost 700 New York Coronavirus patients with a 100% success rate.
I KNOW that some will immediately object to the video and poo-poo it because of who is involved, but I would encourage you to listen to what is being said!!!

https://techstartups.com/2020/03/28/dr-vladimir-zelenko-now-treated-699-coronavirus-patients-100-success-using-hydroxychloroquine-sulfate-zinc-z-pak-update/

P.S. Don't drink aquarium cleaner. 🐠

P.P.S. I read that caffeine reduces the absorption of zinc. Sorry, but I'm not giving up my coffee.

Fantastic URL's and advice...thank you everyone.

I  can't do much to stop the pandemic or help the medical staff, but I will work very hard to keep myself from getting the virus.

That is my contribution to this war against the virus.  If we all did that...this virus would be dead in a month.

10 minutes ago, Zactoman said:

🐠

P.P.S. I read that caffeine reduces the absorption of zinc. Sorry, but I'm not giving up my coffee.

I think I need to add zinc to my daily vitamins.

I drink a pint of beer each day after work as a gift from the boss.  I am not a drinker, but working  in an N95 mask and interacting with many people gives me the wrong sort of stress.  Thankfully most people accept me wearing a mask.  I have come to look forward to that beer after work.  I don't see this virus ending until a vaccine is available and I can't imagine wearing an N-95 mask in the summer heat.  It is hard to believe these are the happy times....one day at a time.....and I hope I survive the year.

34 minutes ago, SBARC said:

I  can't do much to stop the pandemic or help the medical staff, but I will work very hard to keep myself from getting the virus.

That is my contribution to this war against the virus.  If we all did that...this virus would be dead in a month.

For the past few weeks I've only left the house every few days to deliver packages to the Post Office (I'd like go more often!).

I have a routine where I wash my hands before leaving, only touch surfaces (door knobs) with my left hand, keep distance between myself and others, open my car door with my right and use disinfecting wipes as soon as I'm in the car. I then go home, wash my hands and use wipes on all surfaces (car handles, steering wheel, house door knobs) I may have touched. I haven't resorted to wearing gloves, a mask or showering when I return, but then I'm in a small town in a county that has zero CV cases.

I agree that if everybody did their best we would eliminate this threat quickly.

27 minutes ago, SBARC said:

I drink a pint of beer each day after work as a gift from the boss.  I am not a drinker,...

Alcohol kills viruses, yes?

I am self-medicating with a Cactus Cooler (mildly carbonated orange-pinapple soda) and vodka on the rocks with a fresh-cut wedge of pineapple. Sweet, but does the job. I limit myself to this treatment once a week, on Saturday nights, and even then in moderation.

Doing my duty to save the world...

8 hours ago, habu2 said:

A PSA video about hand sanitizing, social distancing and self-isolation.  Recommended...

That was good. Thanks for sharing :thumbsup:

Ok guys I have posted links to this YouTube on other threads and will post again here. This one was posted March 10 and he talks about chloroquine. Please take the time to watch this. It is about the zinc, but normal zinc supplements don’t sound like they work. They have to be invited into your cells. 

This video discusses Quercetin which is an over the counter supplement, I bought 2 bottles of it from Amazon after watching this.

Apparently people are cutting brassieres in half to make masks.

I won't post any links but you can just do a search on "bra masks"...

(doing what I can to keep everyone abreast of the situation...)  :coolio:

Now that my employers have most of us working from home (roughly 2000 office staff), we're getting a daily update email that provides various operational and practical info as well as tips and ideas for keeping physically and mentally fit. The advice below really stood out for me - not because it's revolutionary but because it's one of those things that's so obvious we tend to forget about it and can all be guilty of at times.

Manage your media

• Take control so that you stay informed but not overwhelmed by the constant stream of news reports.
  • Have breaks from the news and social media - perhaps decide on a specific time to check the news, maybe once or twice a day.
  • Stick to trusted sources of info – there’s a lot of misinformation swirling around.
  • Try not to share rumours or sensational content which could make others feel anxious.

Regards,

John