Covid-19 and how to help each other...no politics

8 minutes ago, USAFsparkchaser said:

Is the article from Fox News ok to post?

Given the topic line I don't see how posting a "news" story helps anyone here, regardless of the news organization.

I would prefer to see links that can actually help fellow ARCers, like this one about mask efficiency:

https://advances.sciencemag.org/content/early/2020/08/07/sciadv.abd3083

The study shows that simple surgical masks are almost as efficient as N-95 rated masks, and that "gator' masks are actually worse than wearing no mask at all.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/6/2020 at 8:17 AM, Dutch said:

When do we expect Pacific nations to be able to ship to the US again?  I have paid for two Academy 1/48 F-4B/N kits with no delivery in sight.  I ordered one in March from an S. Korean ebay vendor.  He cancelled my order and refunded my money within a month citing inability to ship to the US due to CoVID postal restrictions. So I immediately re-ordered another kit off ebay, this time from Australia on 15 April.  Paid for, but still not shipped.  So I ordered a third kit from Hobby Search Japan a few days later.  HSJ informed me that they are holding the kit pending lifting of US import restrictions from most Asian nations.  Or perhaps it was a Japanese restriction.  They posted a notice to their website.  So, do we know when the US expects to allow imports from Australia, Japan and S. Korea?  I will say that last week I did receive a small canopy paint mask and PE set from BNA in Australia after about 6 weeks. Just curious, Dutch

A short follow-up.  Last week HSJ informed me that Japan Post had returned the package as undeliverable. They kindly offered me two options; FedEx (7 days) for twice the original postage cost, or SAL (6-8 weeks) for 1500Yen less.  So I opted for SAL. Yesterday I received their shipping notification.  Still no word from Australia on the second F-4B/N kit. Meanwhile, Hannants continues to deliver surface packets in 2&1/2 weeks and Airmail in 7-8 days.

Edited by Dutch

I've had an order since May June? from Japan. I don't think the situation is going to improve when the flu season starts so I asked the seller what other options there were to ship. I went with surface shipping also. It comes with tracking so last I seen my item was in Kawasaki port. Hopefully I get it by the end of the year.

Japan post international shipping notifications here:

https://www.post.japanpost.jp/index_en.html

• 1 month later...

Guys, I got the dreaded Covid, about two weeks ago now i guess. Felt bad starting Friday, worse Saturday and so forth and so on. I had the usual Diarrhea, aches and pains, headaches, ran a fever of about 101 for two days, but did not have any cough or breathing problems. I have to be honest with all of you that it wasn't too bad. I guess everybody reacts differently. Did allot of TV binge watching. 

My wife and I did everything by the book. Have masks in every vehicle. More at home. Washed our hands and used sanitizer, often. I'm retired, so since about April we haven't done much outside the house. Except for a few doctor appts, don't go anywhere. My wife and I are homebodies anyway and since I live out in the country, we are "social distanced". I got tested about two days after I got sick, got the results Friday.......positive. In this state, a representative from the local health dept came and saw me, contact tracing I suppose. I'll tell you the same thing I told her.......up until the day I initially felt bad, I hadn't left the house in 7 says. This week I get tested for anti bodies. My wife has been tested twice. The first test was negative, second we don't know yet

I'm back to feeling normal I guess. I'm telling you guys this because I feel we all need to be vigilant and super careful. This thing isn't "gone' or even close to it.

I'm not gonna tell anybody to wear a mask or anything else, but I'm hoping a little common sense will intervene. I am hoping my story will help other people see that we still need to do the best thing possible for all of us. I"m the  lucky one, I truly believe that, but I don't want anybody else to test their luck. Be careful out there and be safe. 

Jim B

• 2 weeks later...
27 minutes ago, habu2 said:

lol

i-WpKdRWf-X2.jpg

There is a discussion about decorated masks over on an autism forum & to some of us they are, eh, whatever and to some of us they can be quite unsettling, especially some halloween designs. 
I prefer and only have plain masks but do have to chuckle at this one! 😄

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/3/2020 at 8:06 AM, Dutch said:

A short follow-up.  Last week HSJ informed me that Japan Post had returned the package as undeliverable. They kindly offered me two options; FedEx (7 days) for twice the original postage cost, or SAL (6-8 weeks) for 1500Yen less.  So I opted for SAL. Yesterday I received their shipping notification.  Still no word from Australia on the second F-4B/N kit. Meanwhile, Hannants continues to deliver surface packets in 2&1/2 weeks and Airmail in 7-8 days.

Still waiting for my Academy 1/48 F-4B/N from Hobby Search Japan.  Feeling a little like the Maytag repairman!

Edited by Dutch
add link
  • 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...
On 9/3/2020 at 8:06 AM, Dutch said:

I ordered an F-16 MLU nose from Australia, it took every bit of 6 weeks to get here.

An update on International shipping from Spring into Summer of 2021.

Hannants (UK) = Still consistently 7-8 days for Airmail and 2-21/2 weeks for surface (small packet).

Hobby Search Japan = 90-100 days via SAL for in stock items.

Hobby Link Japan = ~6 weeks via SAL for items once I ship from my private warehouse. 

MTCC (Australia) = ~5 weeks for small kits.

BNA (Australia) = ~3 weeks for decals (I forgot to keep track of this one.) 

Edited by Dutch

Common sense is rapidly leaving the room in Sydney (thankfully I live 600kms away, but our daughters live in Sydney, though one is currently in Tokyo covering the Olympics).

https://www.9news.com.au/national/sydney-cbd-lockdown-protests/ed46d68f-5396-4cc5-8c92-1ac19fd09fcc

Even if you don't believe in any of it, don't be a dick.  Just follow the rules.  The authorities are doing the best they can to deal with something that they have no experience with.  Errors will be made, but don't make their job any harder.

Most of the problems are is SW Sydney with a high immigrant population - from cultures that never trust or follow authorities, and/or can't speak English, and/or miraculously lose the ability to speak English when questioned about why they are not following the rules.  Combined with a slow vaccination roll out, it is not going so well down there, though way way better than most other countries. 

We get our 2nd AZ jab this month.  

The only case in our small regional city was our local political member who caught it while in Parliament in Sydney & quarantined for 20 days down there.

Deliveries

No problems at all receiving my Decals from INDYCALS USA by normal airmail envelope . Average 10 days . Same for parcels from HK and JP , average 10 days by normal post with tracking . China online is slow but dependable , you track and the parcel will go from one place to another until finally it leaves the country , average more than a month . Spain 15 days for a parcel , France is fast , 10 days for envelopes  such as decals harnesses and little things . As soon as a delivery is made i wash my hands with Dettol sanitizer . Half the country is now red zones .  

On 7/31/2021 at 7:06 PM, Thommo said:

Common sense is rapidly leaving the room in Sydney (thankfully I live 600kms away, but our daughters live in Sydney, though one is currently in Tokyo covering the Olympics).

https://www.9news.com.au/national/sydney-cbd-lockdown-protests/ed46d68f-5396-4cc5-8c92-1ac19fd09fcc

Even if you don't believe in any of it, don't be a dick.  Just follow the rules.  The authorities are doing the best they can to deal with something that they have no experience with.  Errors will be made, but don't make their job any harder.

Most of the problems are is SW Sydney with a high immigrant population - from cultures that never trust or follow authorities, and/or can't speak English, and/or miraculously lose the ability to speak English when questioned about why they are not following the rules.  Combined with a slow vaccination roll out, it is not going so well down there, though way way better than most other countries. 

We get our 2nd AZ jab this month.  

The only case in our small regional city was our local political member who caught it while in Parliament in Sydney & quarantined for 20 days down there.

Didn’t they take all your guns away a while back?

1 hour ago, 305swag said:

Didn’t they take all your guns away a while back?

Yup, back in 1996.

Not a single mass shooting since.  It's pretty much just the crims who shoot each other here now - go your hardest boys!

Happy Dayz!

Edit to clarify - they did not take 'all guns', they just tightened up the system a lot, got rid of many illegal guns and banned semi-auto guns except in special circumstances (e.g. farmers who need them for feral animal control).  You can still have a licence for a gun, join a gun club etc.  But the nutters find it much harder to get a gun that can kill dozens of people in seconds.

On a worrying note, they are now detecting Covid fragments in our town sewerage.  So there is something here.  Quite likely some Muppet from Sydney who escaped just before the lockdown, or breached it, and is hiding out up here.

Edited by Thommo
17 hours ago, Thommo said:

Yup, back in 1996.

Not a single mass shooting since.  It's pretty much just the crims who shoot each other here now - go your hardest boys!

Happy Dayz!

Edit to clarify - they did not take 'all guns', they just tightened up the system a lot, got rid of many illegal guns and banned semi-auto guns except in special circumstances (e.g. farmers who need them for feral animal control).  You can still have a licence for a gun, join a gun club etc.  But the nutters find it much harder to get a gun that can kill dozens of people in seconds.

On a worrying note, they are now detecting Covid fragments in our town sewerage.  So there is something here.  Quite likely some Muppet from Sydney who escaped just before the lockdown, or breached it, and is hiding out up here.

Well that sounds great if you like muzzle loaders and single shot guns lol! 

1 hour ago, 305swag said:

Well that sounds great if you like muzzle loaders and single shot guns lol! 

Yeah, it works incredibly well.  While the nutter is packing the barrel of his muzzle loader to shoot some innocent kid at school, the cops just walk up to him and slap the cuffs on and off he goes to the slammer. Everyone is a winner.

1 hour ago, Thommo said:

Yeah, it works incredibly well.  While the nutter is packing the barrel of his muzzle loader to shoot some innocent kid at school, the cops just walk up to him and slap the cuffs on and off he goes to the slammer. Everyone is a winner.

To each his own I reckon. 

45 minutes ago, 305swag said:

To each his own I reckon. 

Yeah, we used to do lots of shooting/hunting when we were young, had semi-autos, pump action shotguns etc. but I lost interest and focused on fly-fishing & now do a bit of guiding.  I can release the fish alive to catch another day, because I'm too lazy to clean, scale & cook them.

Meanwhile, the Covid cases & deaths in Sydney are still rising.  Vaccination is our only way out now I think.  Lockdowns are not bringing the curve down.

1 hour ago, Thommo said:

Yeah, we used to do lots of shooting/hunting when we were young, had semi-autos, pump action shotguns etc. but I lost interest and focused on fly-fishing & now do a bit of guiding.  I can release the fish alive to catch another day, because I'm too lazy to clean, scale & cook them.

Meanwhile, the Covid cases & deaths in Sydney are still rising.  Vaccination is our only way out now I think.  Lockdowns are not bringing the curve down.

I miss the good old days for sure. The new normal is being conditioned to live in fear of coodies. Lord help us if China cooks up something with more than a 99.3% survival rate.

2 minutes ago, 305swag said:

I miss the good old days for sure. The new normal is being conditioned to live in fear of coodies. Lord help us if China cooks up something with more than a 99.3% survival rate.

I don't think it is the death/survival rate is what they are so worried about down here, it is more the risk of the health system getting swamped with sick people.  Especially with this new strain which is more contagious.

When it all began I was thinking "meh, it's just like the flu", but now I think it's more contagious.  And it came from animals...animals in China...in cages pissing on each other 😬.

Diseases that can be transferred from animals to humans are called Zoonoses and docs/scientists tend to take those pretty seriously.  My boss has recently had 2 zoonoses - Q-fever and Leptospirosis - from being involved with sheep shearing (and his immune system seems pretty crap) .  They are pretty nasty, and most farmers here get vaccinated against them.

Our little city (a town really, but it is called a city as we have a cathedral) of 29,000 is now in lockdown for a week, thanks to Muppets in Sydney who broke lockdown and went to Newcastle, which caused an outbreak in Newcastle, then we had people in Newcastle who came here.  One was a nurse who was working infected in our local hospital, and away we go.

Lockdown for my wife & I is not really a big deal as we've been working from home anyway and can still do our windtrainer cycling on the deck & go for a run (as long as we don't go more than 10kms from home).  No gym or swim though.  Only allowed to do essential shopping - supermarkets, chemists, doctors, Covid tests & vaccinations.

Biggest PITA is I need to take my work car to the smash repairs next week after this happened on Friday evening.  Hear that bang when it hit, our daughter said it sounds like a gunshot.  That device on the front under the number plate is called a ShooRoo - makes a chirping noise which is supposed to scare animals off the road.  Works a bit, but clearly not in this case with another car coming the other way. 

WARNING - I drop the F-bomb in this video.