Mig-23 MLD flogger K

Hi all

Sorry for the questions.  I'm also wanting to do a mig_23 MLD flogger K depicted an aircraft deployed to Afghanistan in the 80s.  Again I'm struggling to find any pics of the mig-23 deployed in Afghanistan.  Can anyone tell me if they were used just as CAPs to protect ground attack aircraft or were they used in a ground attack role as well?  If used in the ground attack role, can anyone tell me what ground attack munitions were they were using in this role?

I've just bought the famous russian aircraft mig-23 and mig-27 book by Yesim GORDON which should be an excellent reference.  But it seems it is very hard to find pics of any russian aircraft deployed to Afghanistan in the 80s including Frogfoots and especially migs

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Rohan

I am currently reading the Yefim Gordon huge book about Mig23 and Mig27

There's a chapter about MLD in afghanistan with plenty of pictures of MIg-23s

The Mig23s were used as CAP with AAM against Iranian and pakistani and as bomber as well against insurgents

Most of the time only 500, 250 or 100kg (with MER) dumb bombs 

Rockets were too dangerous for them to use in montaneous terrain and AG  missiles were inadapted as well

So basically it's all dumb bombs if you want an AG loadout on your Mig23

Hi Jari

Thanks for the pics.  They are great.  Do you know if they fitted MBD2-67U multiple ejection racks to hold the FAB 250 or FAB 500s? 0or OFAB 250 or OFAB 500s.  I read the mig-23 used a lot of OFAB 500 fragmentation bombs.  Any idea where I could get OFAB 250 or OFAB 500 bombs?  Does the trumpeter russian bomb set have OFAB bombs in it?  I know the trumpeter bombs are not sensational in detail but have to work with what you got right?

The MER hold 4x100 kg bombs

The 250 and 500kg bombs were loaded single on pylons

The max payload of the Mig-23 is 2000Kg

I don't know if you're doing 1/48 or 1/32

but in 1/32 which is what I am doing:

I would look at the range of RESKIT which are awesome but I don't think they do the 500Kg ones (in 1/32 at least). They do 100 (ZAB) and 250kg bombs (FAB & RBK).

they might do much more in 1/48?

As for the trumpeter ones, the 1/32 Su-25 kit has plenty of them including FAB500 and FAB250.

So I'd guess the 1/32 russian armament kit has them as well, since I understand they are all the same sprues.  

Dunno about the 1/48 but I suppose they do as well, it should be easy enough to check

Edited by Red Dog

Yes I was thinking it was probably only the 100 kg FABs on the MER.  I just emaied reskit so see if they have what I need.  Again thanks for the info.  Yes I only do 1/32

So my next question is, does anyone have 10 FAB 100 bombs you could sell me?  I think I might bomb up my mig23 MLD with 16 of them.  I just prefer mud movers.  I'll get the reskit MERs.  So if anyone can help me out, that would be great.  I have the Frogfoot but seem to have only 6 FAB 100s in it

Hi Jari

Thanks for all the info and taking your time to help me out.  I'm going to use the reskit stuff.  They have excellent resin russian bombs and MERs.  So I'll be all sorted with the reskit stuff.  It's great to see a company took the time to make excelkent russian bombs/munitions.  So now with reskit and zacto, any modeller making russian machines has it covered.  Also Dmitry at reskit is excellent in helping out providing a wealth of info to any of your questions.  So guys, look no further than reskit for your russian munitions.

I've decided to order someMBD2-67U MERs, set of RBK 250 and a set of RBK -275 AO1 cluster bombs from reskit.  Ive got a Frogfoot,. Mig21 and a mig-23 which I want to do as all Afghanistan war birds so those items should cover my migs and my Frogfoot.

I've also got the new 1/32 trumpeter mig29 SMT I want to do as a version deployed to Syria.  So not sure what I'll put on that.  It appears they are just carrying FAB 250s I he Syrian conflict.  Anyone seen any pics of th SMT with a different loadout?

14 hours ago, Modelkeenfan said:

Just one more quick question.  What bombs could the russian MBD2-67U Multiple ejector racks carry?  I've seen them on the Mig23 carrying 8 FAB100s on each one but could they also carry larger RBK 250s with 4 on each MER?

you can't have 8 100Kg per MBD2-67U . It's 4 bombs max

no idea if 250Kg are possible.

BUT remember the max load for a mig23 was 2000Kg. 4x250 on a MBD2-67U  is already 1000Kg, so even if that was possible, it's only 2 of them with 2 stations remaining empty.

The early Mig27 was 3000Kg weapon load (later brought to 4000Kg). but the 23 was limited to 2000Kg

From what I read pilots in afghanisatn didn't like using the MER they were way too draggy and impacted flying performance too much.

they much prefered 1 bombs per pylon with usual load being 2x500gk on wing glove and 2x250kg on fuselage for a 1500Kg load which was within limits

Good choice on Reskit, I'm a happy Customer myself. The level of detail is great.

Edited by Red Dog
1 hour ago, Modelkeenfan said:

Just one more quick question.  What bombs could the russian MBD2-67U Multiple ejector racks carry?  I've seen them on the Mig23 carrying 8 FAB100s on each one but could they also carry larger RBK 250s with 4 on each MER?

On  MBD2-67U used only  4x100 kg bombs. It was not popular. But some time used.

• 2 months later...

This is interesting and both extremely funny. What they have there is a straight copy of Markovskijs book with some additional material. The real problem is that a computer translator has been used which "adds" some really interesting turns so to say to the story.  : )  : )

I did just a small dip into the text and there are "interesting" parts about the counter measure pods. I dont think an infra red flare burning at 9 degrees would have much influence on a Sidewinder.

. . .  thermite composition yielded for 21 — 5 seconds a bright fireball with a temperature of up to 9 ° C, . . .

Having 800 extra flares in a pod. Well . . .  : )  : )  : )

. . . In its front and rear elongated fairings there were also 800 cartridges . . .

The author (or the translator program) has no idea what he is talking about: names, numbers are mixed up and confused

How authentic all the rest of the information is a question one will have to ask.

Best regards

Gabor

Edited by ya-gabor