Afterburner Decals 48-054 Lakenheath Varks

On 5/7/2020 at 9:02 PM, BastianD said:

Found a good site for the right load-out: http://www.f-111.net/models/weaponsloads/index.htm

If you got the Microscale sheet then the link above should help out with the load outs, it only changed in the last couple of years.
After ODS they tried some other weapons loads...
Like GBU-12s on the BRUs and tanks on the inner pylons to increase loiter time.
The Xtradecal sheet would be a good one for that as its got 72-1448 as the Wing Commanders mount for the 48FW with the triple colour tail.

Edited by ElectroSoldier
  • 6 months later...
7 hours ago, BastianD said:

Hi, do you stil have this Afterburner decal sheet for the Lakenheath Varks? Number 48-054?

He doesn't, I checked his web page. 

There is however 2 listed through Ebay.co.uk - but with a hefty shipping cost. 

2 minutes ago, Niels said:

NP 
Have been looking myself, but have an -F on the shelf already, and kit and decals for -A and -E "in stock" so will pass on these 🙂

Very useful, hope I will win the bid. They even have 2 sets, I should win then at least 1.

These are great decals - you'll really like using them.  I ended up making '892' from this sheet.  Take your time with the interior intake decals - they can be tricky to position.  I applied them one at a time in each intake and let them completely dry before putting the next one on.

On 1/13/2022 at 4:21 AM, arg said:

These are great decals - you'll really like using them.  I ended up making '892' from this sheet.  Take your time with the interior intake decals - they can be tricky to position.  I applied them one at a time in each intake and let them completely dry before putting the next one on.

Thanks for your advice, will take that along when starting the intakes.

curious to see a pic of your final result of your 892, can you share?

Thanks for your advice, will take that along when starting the intakes.

curious to see a pic of your final result of your 892, can you share?

Sure!  Your build thread inspired me to get moving and finish my build!

IMG_0335.jpg

IMG_0334.jpg

13 hours ago, ElectroSoldier said:

Why 892?

I liked its combination of markings:   Properly proportioned star-and-bar (how did the maintenance crews mess that up on some of the other jets listed on the sheet?), Desert Storm mission markings, colorful (multi-color ribbon on the tail; nosegear door markings), easier to paint a single color on the top of the tail rather than trying to wrap a (multi-color) decal around it, and the wheel hubs (nose wheel hubs are red, main wheel hubs have an eagle decal).

14 hours ago, ElectroSoldier said:

I thought the star and bar was from a stencil.

That's what I think also.  They must have had a relative of Mr. McGoo cut the stencil out!  (How's that for a vintage reference!!)

When starting with decals on end of fuselage, I discovered 2 decals where I’m not quite sure of, anyone to help out?

it’s the circled part, where within the circle there seems to bea text or a symbol, cannot find it however on the decal sheet.

D15B244A-A250-4B50-A495-3721609569AF.jpeg

6889B45A-806D-4F4B-805F-76281A1E735B.jpeg

C9925641-7437-4C9A-80AF-FB44461C6D8A.jpeg

Those are the red decals, towards the bottom of the sheet, above the "slime lights". They read " LIFT HANDLE TO BLEED, PRESS BEFORE TURNING CAP SEE T.O. 1F-111A-2-1 FOR MANDATORY FILLING SEQUENCE".

The "symbol" inside the circle is a filler door which is scribed on the HobbyBoss model, not the Academy. Hope this helps.

Steve

Edited by A-10 LOADER
2 hours ago, A-10 LOADER said:

Those are the red decals, towards the bottom of the sheet, above the "slime lights". They read " LIFT HANDLE TO BLEED, PRESS BEFORE TURNING CAP SEE T.O. 1F-111A-2-1 FOR MANDATORY FILLING SEQUENCE".

The "symbol" inside the circle is a filler door which is scribed on the model. Hope this helps.

Steve

And thanks again, better twice than nothing!