Thanks very much Mstor, glad you are enjoying the build! 

Starboard sidewall is mostly completed and glued in place.   I also finished the bomb racks and glued them and the cannons in.   Finally starting to show a bit of progress.   Sidewall and the fore and aft hydraulic struts are glued into place.  Lastly, I added fuel lines from the manifold on the sidewall.   Have one more fuel line to add and that portion of this assembly will be completed as well! 

I went pretty heavy on the scratches on the black bomb carriers.  I figured these items would get banged up quite a bit.

IMG_1271

Looking forward:

IMG_1272

That's it for now, thanks for looking.  

Edited by 11bee
On 5/6/2020 at 9:37 AM, Geoff M said:

Fabulous detail!  Keep it up

Geoff M

11bee, Ayuh! What my friend Geoff said. The level and quality of your work is eye popping! Plenty of room to work in 1/32 scale. K/r, Dutch 

Edited by Dutch

Thanks very much John & Dutch!

The starboard bomb bay is finally completed.   I added the remaining fuel lines and re-positioned the forward bomb bay hydraulic jacks further back from where I originally had them (really need to take my time and read the instructions).  Lastly I toned down the scratches on the bomb carriers.  

IMG_1274

IMG_1276

I'd like to apologize for bombarding you folks (no pun intended) with so many monotonous pictures of this section of the bomb bay.  I'm just really geeking out on this aspect of the build. Yeah, I know I'm a bit strange.....

As always, thanks for looking.  

Thanks guys, greatly appreciate it.

Finally done with the bomb bay!  Completed the port sidewall, which was primarily control cables running the length.   I might add a few last bits if the mood strikes me but at this point, I'm moving on to the bomb bay doors and then the engine cowlings.  

I need to be careful, this is typically the stage of a long build where I get into trouble, once I see that I'm getting close to the finish and start rushing.    Must..... resist...... .

Anyway, a couple of last pics of my work in this area.

IMG_1283

IMG_1281

That's it for now, thanks again for looking! 

• 2 weeks later...

Just a mini update, I'm at the stage where I'm just building random sub assemblies.  I'm also getting a bit apprehensive because I'm getting close to the painting stage and this is one of two steps that I figure have a good chance of blowing this project.  On the surface, the painting should be straightforward, this aircraft was originally painted in the standard "nightfighter" scheme of Medium Sea Grey and Dark Green.  At some point before it was assigned to 333 Squadron, it was over-painted in a "modified" Special Duties Scheme.  This was a scheme standardized by Coastal Command, designed to offer better concealment for aircraft operating in gloomy weather, over the North Sea.  The by-the-book version consisted of Extra Dark Sea Grey over Sky undersides.  The modified version was just Extra Dark Sea Grey topsides with the lower surfaces left in Medium Sea Grey.   In theory, this should be pretty easy to apply.   Here is what KK-Q looked like in 1945:

Profil-4.-de-Havilland-Mosquito-FB-Mk.-VI-HR129-with-B-Flight-March-45.md

Where it gets involved is that these aircraft weathered rapidly in the horrible Scottish weather.  I need to make sure I can replicate this effect.   Also, it appears that many times, the Extra Dark Sea Grey was a lighter version and it was applied in a thin coat that left the original camouflage slightly visible underneath, that's going to be a fun challenge.  Lastly, I've got to replicate the painted out codes on the fuselage.   Wish me luck guys, this is going to be a test of my very mediocre painting skills.  

Anyway, here are a few of the bits I've been working on:

Main landing gear doors -  On any aircraft, these doors (and the bays themselves) are typically filthy.   I had no interest having these in immaculate aluminum paint, so I went pretty heavy on the weathering.   Still tweaking the effects.

IMG_1285

Tail landing gear.   Figured this would be pretty dirty given the muddy fields.

IMG_1286

100 Gal slipper tanks are courtesy of AMS resin.   The kit provides the smaller 50 gal units that were commonly used but for the long range missions of Coastal Command, the larger ones were pretty standard.   Still need to weather these.

IMG_1289

Edited by 11bee
On 9/9/2020 at 12:25 AM, 11bee said:

<...> I'd like to apologize for bombarding you folks (no pun intended) with so many monotonous pictures of this section of the bomb bay.  I'm just really geeking out on this aspect of the build.<...>

And rightly so! :thumbsup: It's looking great.

Thank you CA!  Appreciate the compliments.  I was dreading that portion of the build but it actually was rather enjoyable.   Nice distraction from all the madness that 2020 is throwing at us.

Still just doing some small sub-builds.  I completed the cannon bay doors.  Went heavy on the weathering, from the few pics I've seen of the interior of these on the real thing, they got pretty grungy.    Tamiya never ceases to amaze, they included the the tools used to disassemble the cannons as PE parts!

IMG_1290

Next up is the canopy's interior framework.   Here's a picture of this area on a Mossie being restored.  Note that a lot of the hardware hasn't been mounted yet.  Also note the black padding on the vertical frame.   I assume this was to keep the Navigator from cracking his head on the framework during violent maneuvers.   Not sure if this was a feature of the real thing or just an addition to this warbird.  If anyone has any info, please let me know.   

32697103107_be082214ea_k

Nice details provided with the kit parts, to this I added the yellow manual dinghy deployment handle and cable, some wiring for the overhead light and I drilled out the lightening holes in the framework.   Sorry for the horrible pictures today, it wasn't very bright out when I took these.  I'll replace this one with a better shot in the near future.

IMG_1293

The box mounted on the left frame is an IFF control panel, which includes a destruct switch.   Here's a great picture of the real thing, just note that most (all?) of these were finished completely black.  Note also the tan-ish colored bungee cord next to it.  This was actually run from the upper framework to the pilot's seat and assisted with the height adjustment.     I'll be adding that and the wiring coming off the IFF box once I've got the framework installed.   I really like the "clutter" of the Mossie's cockpit.   

Gee in Mossie 2. (1)

That's it for now, thanks for looking guys! 

Aft canopy framework is completed.  I added the remainder of the dingy release cable to the aft section, the wiring for the IFF controller and did some painting touchups.  Like everything else, the parts just click into place.    Just need to add a few more frames to the forward section, and then on to one of the more challenging parts of this build, the removal of the overhead escape hatch from the top of the canopy.  

IMG_1295

IMG_1297

IMG_1301

Lastly, I've been surfing the Imperial War Museum's photo archives, been saving a good number of pictures.  It's a great resource if anyone is interested.   Found the pic below and thought it gave a good idea on why these Strike Wing units suffered the high rate of of casualties that they did.    Lot of flak being sent up!

ROYAL AIR FORCE COASTAL COMMAND, 1939-1945.

Here's another picture that illustrates how close in these aircraft got during their attack runs.   Brave men indeed. 

ROYAL AIR FORCE COASTAL COMMAND, 1939-1945.

Note - I am aware that in the pic above, the aircraft are Beaufighters (another subject I'd love to see in 32nd) but I thought the shot was too cool to pass up.

Thanks for looking guys! 

Thanks very much CO!

I'm pretty impressed by T's approach to the canopy.  It should look pretty nice once everything is completed.     Here's a great picture of the real deal.  

Mossie08 VWOC

Note the light colored cord running from top of canopy to behind the pilot's seat.   This was a bungee that was used to assist with raising the seat.   Typical Mossie feature, simple, lightweight and it works.   I'll be adding this later.   Note the very scruffy finish. Not sure if those dark patches on the wing root are worn Dark Green paint or possibly red dope that was used pretty routinely for repairs, sealing weapon ports, etc.   If anyone out there has detailed pictures of wartime Mossies that show how they weathered (especially the undersides), please feel free to share.

Speaking of weathering, I've begun the painting process.   Like all wartime FB.VI's, this aircraft rolled out of the factory in overall Medium Sea Grey with Dark Green disruptive camo on the upper surfaces.   I've started to paint the undersides.   Prior to shooting the grey, I pre-shaded a bit using some old Testor's Panzer Chocolate Brown.  Seems a bit less stark than regular black.  I highlighted access panels, the wing spars and various nooks and crannys.   I then lightly added coats of Medium Sea Grey to get the desired effect.   I'm using Colorcoates paint.  This stuff is the bomb!  Sprays fantastic, is very durable and by all accounts, the accuracy is second to none.     Here is where we are at, still very much a work in progress.   

IMG_1310

Here's another shot.  Since then, I filled a couple of seams on the fuselage that I didn't catch until painting and lightly toned down a couple of areas previously painted.  I also completed the starboard wing and horizontal stab.   It's quite difficult to paint large single-color models.  The paint is either way to uniform and looks fake or you go to heavy on the weathering and end up with the dreaded "plaid" effect.    Gotta walk a fine line here. 

IMG_1312

That's it for now, thanks for looking! 

So after whining about the canopy for most of the build, I decided to take the bull by the.....  horns and just get this over with. The Tamiya canopy is truly amazing, it's thin and the most transparent clear part I've ever seen in a kit.   So, to recap - my goal is to cut out the overhead escape hatch.   Here are some step by step pics.  Please excuse the following set of pictures.  They were taken indoors and are of horrible quality.  However, they should illustrate the process ok.

The canopy pre-surgery.  It's so clear, it's tough to photograph well.

IMG_1314

Step 1, using a pin vice and a small diameter drill bit, very carefully drill about a hundred holes along the seam, being careful to stay just a hair inboard.

IMG_1319

Step 2, using a new X-acto blade (critical for any delicate work), very carefully cut between the holes.  Don't worry about being right on the panel line.  Then, very gently, pop the section out.  If it doesn't release, go back and use the tip of the blade to cut any remaining bits.

IMG_1320

Step 3, using sanding sticks and small flat files (along with a little bit of cutting in the corners using the tip of the knife blade), sand your way down to the panel line.   Go slow, make sure you are not putting any pressure on the very fragile canopy.

IMG_1321

Still have some cleanup to do along the frame.

Step 4, pop it in place to see how it looks.  Canopy fits perfectly.  I had pondered cutting out one of the side windows as these are often seen opened but in this case, I'm afraid it might be a "bridge too far".    At some point, I'll fabricate the removed escape hatch and display it on the finished model. 

IMG_1323Those blobs on the plastic are raindrops.  Started sprinkling as I took this picture.   I'll obviously clean and polish the canopy prior to installation. 

While I was "in the groove", I also painted the remainder of the undersides.  I'll make a couple of touch-ups but I'd say this step is close to finished.  

IMG_1316

That's it for now.  Thanks for checking in! 

Thanks Bounce! 

Did a bit of painting:

IMG_1324

Not perfect by a long shot but it won't be around for long.  This is step one of my quest to replicate the Coastal Command Special Duties Scheme used by some Strike Wing Mossies.   This scheme seems to have come in two varieties.  The first was a more thoroughly applied scheme with a pretty uniform coat of Extra Dark Sea Grey uppers with Sky undersides and and secondly, an "ad hoc" version which consisted of slightly lighter, thinly applied EDSG (or possibly just Dark Sea Grey) coating which allowed the original camouflage to be seen beneath.  Often, the undersides of the ad hoc scheme were left in the original Medium Sea Grey.   I'm going for version 2, so I've roughed on the dark green color.   I'll go back and use some MSG to cover the bits of filler and tighten up some of the green overspray but don't think I need to apply it everywhere.   After that, next steps will be to mask and install the canopy, compete the dark green application, do a bit of pre-shading and then go for the final top coat.   

That's it for now, thanks for checking in! 

Still in the initial stages of painting.  As mentioned before, this is where things typically go off the rails on my builds.   I start sniffing the end zone and get sloppy.   I'm trying to deliberately slow things down and only do small steps vrs trying to bang out the entire paint job in a day.   Here is my latest.  It's a horrible picture taken indoors but gives you an idea of my approach to the SDS scheme.   I picked up this trick from an awesome build over on Britmodeler.  The guy's finished model came out wonderfully with very realist weathering of the paint job.  I did nothing more than apply random patches and squiggles of Modelmaster Radome Tan over the upper surfaces.   This coupled with the patchy application of the dark green, should in theory, end up looking pretty realistic once I apply the final top coat of diluted Dark Sea Grey over everything.   Don't worry about the various gaps on the canopy, nose, etc, these parts are just press-fitted for the picture. 

IMG_1328

As mentioned previously, these aircraft got pretty beaten up from the Scottish weather.   Here's a typical day in sunny Scotland:

bfc73c009d72b0d50fdb5ce216bde110

I'm getting cold just looking at this picture. 

So that's it for now lads, thanks for checking in! 

Thanks Dutch, yeah I was pretty nervous doing that surgery, can't believe I didn't destroy the entire canopy.

First coating is complete!   After a great deal of time spent masking, I applied a custom mix of Colourcoate Dark Sea Grey and Extra Dark Sea Grey.   This was applied very lightly so that the underlying camouflage was still visible.    Just note - I still need to go back and do some additional work to blend in some of the tan pre-shading a bit more.   Regardless, I'm pretty happy with the results so far.

IMG_1331

IMG_1332

So the paintwork continues.   As is typical for me, once I take off the masking tape, i often find some areas that need touch up.   This model is no exception.   Nothing major but while I had the airbrush fired up, I figured I might as well start on some of the details that make KK-Q unique.   Just for reference, here she is:

Profil-4.-de-Havilland-Mosquito-FB-Mk.-VI-HR129-with-B-Flight-March-45.md

The only references I have for this aircraft are the profile above, the Aviaelogy instructions and that single picture I posted in the beginning of the build.  All three vary to some extent regarding the small details.   If anyone happens to have other pictures of KK-Q, please feel free to share! 

First up, prior to painting the Dark Sea Grey, I masked off the small rectangular blocks that the serial number was painted on.   During the actual painting process that's all the RAF did, just tape over the serial numbers and start spraying.   I did a small bit of touch up on these blocks.  

Next I masked off the section of light grey paint on the upper aft fuselage.   According to Avialogoy, this was from when they painted over the remnants of the invasion stripes that these aircraft once had.  No guidance provided on the paint used but I would assume that they used regular Medium Sea Grey.  It appears that this paint was hand-brushed over the stripes, so I added some irregularities to my masking tape.   This area is a bit brighter than the under-surfaces, since the paint was much newer and hadn't had a chance to weather as much.  I just noticed that I didn't extend this patch far enough aft. I'll add this to my list.  This is what happens when I start rushing.

Lastly, for S&G's, I opted to keep the port elevator in it's original MSG / Dark Green camouflage.   This would replicate a part taken from a scrapped aircraft to replace the original which was damaged in combat.   No idea if KK-Q really had this but it adds a bit of color to the overall grey scheme and there are plenty of pictures out there that show Strike Wing aircraft with mis-matched parts.   Plus, if I decide I don't like it, I can resolve the problem with 30 seconds of air brush work.   Here are a couple of pics to show what I've been up to.  Sorry for the horrid quality, lighting conditions aren't the best today. 

IMG_1342

IMG_1340

Next up will be another challenge that I'm dreading - replicating the sprayed over LA-A codes carried when this aircraft was assigned to neighboring No. 235 Squadron.   When 235 converted to newer Mossies that were equipped for rockets, they handed down their used aircraft to 333.    KK-Q was definitely a hard working warhorse. 

That's it for now, thanks for looking!. 

So I've passed yet another hurdle.   I've added the painted-over 235 Squadron codes of LA-A.   These took quite a while and a mile or so of Tamiya tape (great stuff by the way, well worth the cost compared to any regular masking tape).   Just laying out the tape to make sure everything was aligned properly took a couple of hours.   I have an unused set of decals that contained VV-A upper fuselage codes for a Coastal Command Mosquito.   They were the same size as the LA-A codes and by cutting them out and using them to mark off the spacing and the "A" for a template, I was able to come up with pretty good results.  Not perfect but my story is that in wartime, they weren't concerned about one of the codes being off by an inch or two.    The one picture of my subject shows the painted-over codes in a lighter shade than the upper surface color, yet darker than the MSG undersurfaces and patch on the spine.   I added some white to Dark Sea Grey and called it a day.   

In retrospect, I should have titled this build "50 Shades of Grey".  I went into this worried that the SDS scheme would be too boring because of it's uniformity.  This is ending up to be one of the more complex paint jobs I've ever attempted.

IMG_1354

IMG_1352

That's it for today, as always, thanks for checking in.  

thanks for every detail!  I'm leaning in to this thread

I don't recall what age I was when I imagined having a shrink ray gun to downsize real airplanes to 1/32 and 1/48 but this is most likely what it looks like I submit.

Edited by Bounce

Thanks very much guys! 

So after looking at a fantastic Mosquito build over on Brit Modeler (if you are interested, check it out here, it's a great resource:  https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235060272-148-tamiya-mosquito-fb-vi-hairless-joe/ ), I realized I missed some details on the bomb carriers.   Missing parts included the sway braces and front and rear fuse wires.    Spent last night adding these bits (and breaking off two of the bomb bay struts).   At this point, I think I really am done in the bomb bay.   Really wish I had caught this prior to gluing the bomb carriers in place, I could have done a much better job.

IMG_1356

IMG_1357

Actually, looking at this pictures, I think I need to fair in the struts where they connect to the carriers a bit.  Nothing a few blobs of superglue and some paint can't fix.   Anyway, that's it for tonight.  Thanks for looking!