Photoetch application question

Ok, I'm building the KH MH-60L and it took me 6 hours to finish up applying the PE seatbelts for the 1 pilot seat (Still got 1 to do). My question sounds newbieish,  but what's your guys order for gluing on and painting PE? Especially seat belts!

If PE is glued on before the seat is painted,  what's the best way to paint the PE?

If after, then what's the best way to glue them on and not marring the paint?

I painted them after the seat was painted, and tried to glue them on. The belts sometimes wouldn't stick (using Flexy 5k pe glue). I finally got it, 6 hours later. Can someone chime in with the best way???

Tim

Try using gap filling CA glue. That should make the process easier for you. You can also get the pre-painted Eduard PE belts, etc. I tend to paint the seats and belts first, and with the thicker CA glue, it is cleaner to apply, less opportunity to mar the paint. Hope this helps. 

I use arcylic glues such as Gator Grip or Formula 560 Canopy Glue for bonds like this. You can also use PVA or white glue. All of these dry clear, are water soluble for easy clean up, and are flexible, so they don't stress the bond.

The key will be to form the PE belts so they lie in exactly the position you want, which is no mean feat. You'll need to bend them carefully. If you don't form them to the right drape and they want to spring up, you'll have a harder time with them,

The first step should be to clean the PE belts from any residue with rubbing alcohol (at least this is what iI do) and then paint them, leaving just a small area unpainted for the CA glue. The same applies for the seat (you can also use an X-Acto blade to scratch just the area from the seat that the seatbelt will be attached). 

By the way, a fellow modeller told me once that if you want to bend PE parts such as, seatbelts, you can do this by heating them with a lighter for a few seconds.

Just my two cents.

8 hours ago, SERNAK said:

By the way, a fellow modeller told me once that if you want to bend PE parts such as, seatbelts, you can do this by heating them with a lighter for a few seconds

Unless, of course, the PE is the prepainted variety. Then you will burn the paint right off. :thumbsup:

4 hours ago, Mstor said:

Unless, of course, the PE is the prepainted variety. Then you will burn the paint right off. :thumbsup:

Never liked the prepainted PEs. Perhaps it has to do with the fact that their quality is not that good yet, at least for my standards. That's why every time I look around (either here or, on Ebay) for photo-etch sets I always try to find those that were made back in the 90s.

On 4/1/2020 at 9:48 AM, SERNAK said:

The first step should be to clean the PE belts from any residue with rubbing alcohol (at least this is what iI do) and then paint them, leaving just a small area unpainted for the CA glue. The same applies for the seat (you can also use an X-Acto blade to scratch just the area from the seat that the seatbelt will be attached). 

By the way, a fellow modeller told me once that if you want to bend PE parts such as, seatbelts, you can do this by heating them with a lighter for a few seconds.

Just my two cents.

Thats a good call actually, I didnt think to add that as I always clean them up with the rest of the kit at the start, but cleaning PE frets is a must.

15 hours ago, SERNAK said:

Never liked the prepainted PEs. Perhaps it has to do with the fact that their quality is not that good yet, at least for my standards. That's why every time I look around (either here or, on Ebay) for photo-etch sets I always try to find those that were made back in the 90s.

Ive seen a couple which as alright as cockpits.

Its always possible to do it better yourself of course but they are alright.

I paint the seats separately n do the belts last.  I don't paint them first because I always wind up chipping paint off from the pe bending a bit or random glue spots. For the glue I use Gorilla glue n love it..either the gel or 10 second super glue.  I drop a Hershey kiss size ball on a metal or glass surface n apply with a sharp toothpick or small piece of spare wire.  Then i paint the belts with detail brushing