New product - 3D printed cockpit decals

Really curious as to what kind of printer/technology is used for building these.  I can probably draw an F-14 instrument panel in 3D but I still send stuff out to Shapeways for printing and I just know that layer lines will be visible so instrument decals are out of the question.  And in the end it will still require hand painting.

8 hours ago, Ben Brown said:

If they ever do 1/48 or 1/32 Phantoms, my bank account will be in deep trouble.

Ben 

Whatever he does that I have a kit or kits of, I'll be buying these. So far, his pricing has been very reasonable, but I think that as soon as he figures out how popular these are going to be, the prices will go up. I'll be getting the Mig-29 set as soon as he releases it.

I posted on their Facebook site that the response here was very positive. Here is Alexandr Trofimov's response (don't know if he is the head of the company or just the spokesperson on Facebook) "Mark, thank you so much. And yes, we are accelerating. In the near future several new products will be released every week."

On 4/3/2020 at 4:49 AM, crackerjazz said:

Really curious as to what kind of printer/technology is used for building these.  I can probably draw an F-14 instrument panel in 3D but I still send stuff out to Shapeways for printing and I just know that layer lines will be visible so instrument decals are out of the question.  And in the end it will still require hand painting.

That's why I believe these are likely screen printed. Similar to the raised screen printing they've been doing to make movie super-hero costumes. That's my guess anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like the Mig-29 sets are available. They are for sale on e-Bay. I purchased a set. Will report on how they look when I get them, hopefully later this month.

P.S. the e-Bay listing has some very good pics comparing them to Eduard PE for the same kit. They look even more 3D than I originally thought.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Better-than-Eduard-Photo-Etched-FE682-Quinta-QD48008-3DPrint-1-48-MiG-29-GWH/164157983212?hash=item26389409ec:g:uX0AAOSwZxZekkuq

Edited by Mstor
7 hours ago, Mstor said:

P.S. the e-Bay listing has some very good pics comparing them to Eduard PE for the same kit. They look even more 3D than I originally thought.

Wow those do look nice!

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/18/2020 at 3:35 PM, Mstor said:

Quinta has also released a 1/48 Mig-29 vacuum formed canopy. Looks pretty nice.

THanks for the links and pic. Looking forward to your review -- there are several kits I'm interested in.

Gene K

Looks like its going to take longer to get to me than I thought. Package hasn't left Russia yet. Oh well, good things come to those who wait (hopefully).

On 4/28/2020 at 9:23 PM, Mstor said:

...  good things come to those who wait (hopefully).

Thanks again for the heads up, Mark. I'm hopeful your review will validate the beauty of these innovative sets ... so I  can send in my first order.

Gene K

On 4/16/2020 at 2:00 AM, Mstor said:

Looks like the Mig-29 sets are available. They are for sale on e-Bay. I purchased a set. Will report on how they look when I get them, hopefully later this month.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Better-than-Eduard-Photo-Etched-FE682-Quinta-QD48008-3DPrint-1-48-MiG-29-GWH/164157983212?hash=item26389409ec:g:uX0AAOSwZxZekkuq

WOW! These things look great. Very curious to see your review. Maybe it's been mentioned but I'm curious the application method. I wonder if it's still water slide? I would assume so. Very cool technology.