Hello all,

Start building the A7 that I had in my stack since 1986. I use the Rhino A7 intake and a word of caution. REMOVE THE INTAKE LOCATING PINS because they are positioned incorrectly. Because this will cause a significant 3 mm gap and placed the intake further back. The rest just follow the instructions. DaiavtUYLW.jpg qcYNJMj.jpg

Edited by dai phan

With careful trimming, positioning and applicating of CA, the intake assembly may not require any putty at all. I am now wondering of I should paint inside the intake or leave as is. But if I do paint, what is the best way? Dai 

I have this kit in the To-Build lineup for this year, so I’ll be watching your build taking notes. 

Are you referring to painting the intake lip or the entire intake trunk? IMHO, I’d just paint the lip, but every modeler has their own preference. 

Edited by Ichitoe

Dai Phan,

Very cool seeing you model the A-7 Corsair II. Of the following list, which scheme/operator

are you going to choose for your project?

List of A-7 Corsair II Operators

Greece

Portugal

Thailand

United States - US Navy or USAF

Edited by The Underdog
4 hours ago, The Underdog said:

Dai Phan,

Very cool seeing you model the A-7 Corsair II. Of the following list, which scheme/operator

Greece

Portugal

Thailand

USA of the classic high visibility scheme of the 80's. Dai 

Hello all,

Working on the cockpit today. The Verlinden seat with minor sanding fits well into the cockpit. Still have the gloss coat so a wash can be done easier. Before assembly will flat coat it.  Dai vzM8FcL.jpg3yabqrA.jpg

Edited by dai phan
5 hours ago, The Underdog said:

Dai Phan,

Greece

Portugal

Thailand

I bought all the high visibility schemes I can find... Dai CYLfBAI.jpg

Hello all

Working on the fuse this morning. The resin wheel well is too short that will require some shimming to correct the problem. The resin trunk is pretty good otherwise. 0Mv4rJE.jpgDai coiaQcv.jpgIjY0uWy.jpg

Edited by dai phan

Hello all,

The upper and lower wing halves do not have locating pins so to make things easy I installed the top wing onto the fuse then the rest go in place. I do not have to use any putty but there are many seams to clean up. Dai HEfrZIp.jpg

30 minutes ago, A-10 LOADER said:

Nice start so far and, excellent job on the Rhino intake, looks great.

Steve

Thanks! But the locating pins are in wrong location and will throw a curved ball. Also the wheel well is 4 mm too short but can be easily corrected. I had this kit when I was in college and it was my pride and joy property. Dai 

On 4/5/2020 at 7:50 AM, crackerjazz said:

Following along, dai phan : )    Are those Rhino intakes still in production?

They are OOP at least few years. I did some research on the available intakes and the Rhino is the best as there is NO sanding of the resin part. However it is not perfect as I pointed out, but easily addressed. Dai 

Edited by dai phan

WJA1DGD.jpgGood Sunday everyone...

The wings are designed to be folded so with extended configuration you will need to do some careful dry fitting, sanding to get the best possible fit.  Here is where some minor putty/shimming will be needed. As an after thought, install the top wings panels first then to the bottom rather than top/bottom then join the main wings. Dai m61bHz3.jpgSdP9LGL.jpgtbp0Egv.jpg 

Edited by dai phan

Hello everyone...

At the priming and sanding stage. I use the excellent Badger Stynylrez gray primer that I think is the best out there. No putty is needed but many seams to smooth out. The Mr Color paints are on their way here and will start painting this week. In the mean time will get all the small items ready to be painted. Dai kkoOyTG.jpgmKIhSvW.jpg

Edited by dai phan

Hello all,

The painting has began. I use the excellent Mr Color paints. The layer is so thin that multiple coats are needed. The best is that it dries instantly and preserves all the details. Tomorrow will be the grey upper surface color. Dai 956pBb9.jpgQc5uHUH.jpg

Hello all … 

Reworked on the demarcation line so it tilts more 960C2rQ.jpgaakkb9e.jpgupwards as seen on real life. I custom mixed the color for the avionics bay as the chromate green is too green and chrome yellow is too yellow. The nose anti glare black panel will be decaled so no need to paint. Dai nC77g9n.jpg

Hello all ...

Waiting for the paints to arrive so nothing new in past 2 days. The Mr Color paint requires more layers than what I am used to so a bottle runs out quick. Went to local store and get some cleaners for my lacquer and acrylic paints. Dai 3tDH3ya.jpg

Edited by dai phan