6 hours ago, The Underdog said:

Dai,

The A-7 is coming along nicely. You obviously have a game-plan to follow, and the model

is really looking like it should.

Thank YOU for replying... I hardly get any feedbacks from my built at all.  Now I need to add a touch of black to my washes to give some variations in tone. Dai 

Enjoying watching this one come along.  I have been thinking about trying one of these and would be interested in hearing problem areas.  Yours seems to be coming along without any issues.  Have you decided which squadron you are going to depict?

BW

23 minutes ago, BuNo02100 said:

Enjoying watching this one come along.  I have been thinking about trying one of these and would be interested in hearing problem areas.  Yours seems to be coming along without any issues.  Have you decided which squadron you are going to depict?

BW

It is going to be USN colorful liveries of the 80's. The thing is I have only 1 sheet of each squadron and if I mess up the decals there is no replacement. We are talking about Super Scale that are long gone OOP. Dai CYLfBAI.jpg

27 minutes ago, BuNo02100 said:

BW

So far no problems at all unless I start to see somethings as the final assembly begins after decaling. The only issue is you have to remove the locating pins on the Rhino intake and paint the inside of the trunk or the white nose will not match the white resin color. Easily done with airbrushing. Also you have to remove injection marks on the inside of all the landing gear doors. But this kit is almost 30 years old so it is expected. Still the best A7 on the market as the HB is so bad. Dai 

2 minutes ago, dai phan said:

It is going to be USN colorful liveries of the 80's. The thing is I have only 1 sheet of each squadron and if I mess up the decals there is no replacement. We are talking about Super Scale that are long gone OOP. Dai CYLfBAI.jpg

You've got some degree of overlap on two sheets with VA-87 markings if you are that concerned about something going wrong.

51 minutes ago, Ishthe47guy said:

You've got some degree of overlap on two sheets with VA-87 markings if you are that concerned about something going wrong.

True to that. I rarely mess up on the decals but lately when I return after 25 year hiatus I do then to muck up. Dai 

Nice Corsair. Wouldn't have guessed You had a 25 year break.

I suppose You could use the Print scale decals You have. They should be still available. I've had good results using them, save from a few errors here and there that were more or less correctable - didn't use the A-7 decals though. But then again, Superscale may not be without  errors. VA-37 looks mighty fine. But then again so does VA-93.

Does the Hasegawa Corsair absolutly need replacement intake? I wonder, since the intake looks ok-ish oob.

2 hours ago, Thadeus said:

Nice Corsair. Wouldn't have guessed You had a 25 year break.

I suppose You could use the Print scale decals You have. They should be still available. I've had good results using them, save from a few errors here and there that were more or less correctable - didn't use the A-7 decals though. But then again, Superscale may not be without  errors. VA-37 looks mighty fine. But then again so does VA-93.

Does the Hasegawa Corsair absolutly need replacement intake? I wonder, since the intake looks ok-ish oob.

If you use the kit's intake you have to do some deep sanding to remove the seams. I find cutting the kit's parts is way less hassle than trying to do some deep throat sanding. At this point, all after market intakes are impossible to find. I also look at the Print Scale decals but you have to custom mix the blue to match the decals (not easy) and paint the nose blue . Other variants also require you to do custom paint matching. So decide to go for the Super Scale VA 94 and 105 in case I mess up. This is the one unless I change my mind. Looking at the actual photo and the decals I see some errors in color and omissions like the two emblems on the right fuselage side. May have to go for the Print Scale version as they tend to be very accurate in my experience. Dai  

y6ndIZZ.jpgsidDai 

g4za79V.jpg

Edited by dai phan

Impressed with your build speed, I tend to get bogged down.  Most of the time it’s fixing mistakes (sometimes multiple attempts) but you seem to be able to get it right on the first shot.  Looking forward to the next installment 

BW

Yo my brothers...

Painted the avionics bays today. Pain in the butt. Hasegawa should have provided separate pieces to make painting easier. However with careful painting, deep dark wash and weathering can make it looks presentable. Dai 

G5U2abY.jpgWyCOuBQ.jpg

2 hours ago, BuNo02100 said:

Impressed with your build speed, I tend to get bogged down.  Most of the time it’s fixing mistakes (sometimes multiple attempts) but you seem to be able to get it right on the first shot.  Looking forward to the next installment 

BW

I have my share of mistakes too. Last night after I installed the painted wheels into the axes, I realized I painted the hubs wrong. I tried to remove the wheels but the damn thing would not come off. I had to remove the assembly from the fuse and repainted by hand the wheels. Eduard wheel masks did not work. Today the wheels keep coming off the axle despite my best to CA them in. How ironic ! Dai 

Hi all,

Today must be one of my worse days of modeling. The Super Scale decals gave me fits after fits. Some decals were easy to work with, some just break apart. Every time a piece went to hell, that scheme goes to the trash can. I went through 3 schemes before I gave up. These decals must be at least 10 years old or more. I then try the Print Scale ones but the decals have the tendency to fold over at the edges if you try to move it ( I worked with PS before and to me this seems to be a problem).  After an hour trying to unfold the edges, I decided it is time to get a better set although they are not as colorful as I would like. Well time to go on the Net and look for one. Damnation I do need a beer or five now ! Dai