2 hours ago, BuNo02100 said:

Hate to hear that, very discouraging. Ā Also makes me more than a little concerned about my decal stashšŸ˜°

These Super Scale or Micro Scale are OOP for at least 15 years or more. With time paper tends to weaken and lost the elasticity. I look at todays' releases of A7s and they are either mostly low vis or requiring you to custom paint match to the decals such as the nose and the tail. Paint matching to get exact color is not easy I can tell you. With recent release of Hobby Boss A7E I expect some will release some high vis scheme but they are tailored to the HB and not Hasegawa. I just ordered the Microscale Liquid Decal Film so I can overcoat these old decals. DaiĀ 

Hi all

My favorite decal companies of all are Aeromaster and Eagle Strike. These are well researched and quality decals. SS, MS are soo so in accuracy. One time I look at the SS North Vietnam Mig decals and I was appalled as the color is way way wrong. Too bad good companies just do not survive. Remember Accurate Miniature of the 90's? They were so good that was on the level with Tamiya. DaiĀ 

On 4/27/2020 at 8:16 AM, agelos2005 said:

yes

The gray is FS 16440 and bottom is FS 17875 insignia white ( NOT white). The FS 17875 has a tint of cream to it. That is the way supposed to be. I was taken back at first but research shows this is to be the case. DaiĀ 

Edited by dai phan

Hi guys,

The Hasegawa A7 has 6 pylons but only 2 fuel tanks and a FLIR pod is provided. That leaves 3 unused pylons with 2 bomb racks. What do you suggest to go into these unused pylons?Ā  Hasegawa has many different sets and hard to choose from. Thanks Dai Ā Ā 

Ā 

PS: still waiting for the decals to arrive and that is why lack of action is the past week.Ā 

1 hour ago, dai phan said:

Hi guys,

The Hasegawa A7 has 6 pylons but only 2 fuel tanks and a FLIR pod is provided. That leaves 3 unused pylons with 2 bomb racks. What do you suggest to go into these unused pylons?Ā  Hasegawa has many different sets and hard to choose from. Thanks Dai Ā Ā 

Ā 

PS: still waiting for the decals to arrive and that is why lack of action is the past week.Ā 

Depends. Ā Best idea is to do a google search for images. Ā During Desert Storm, Rockeyes, MK82 slicks, HARMs, and I believe Walleye ER was carried. Ā Sometimes all six pylons were carried, but sometimes only four pylons in an asymmetric arrangement of inboard/outboard on the starboard wing and middle/outboard under the post wing.

Ā 

This page has some good info and photos for Desert Storm. Ā Note that the load out tables seem to show a symmetric pylon arrangement when only 4 pylons were carried, but contemporary photos clearly show the asymmetric arrangement. Ā It seems that the FLIR pod was rarely carried.

Ā 

https://www.dstorm.eu/pages/en/usa/a-7.html

Ā 

ETA: Ā For Vietnam era, thereā€™s a good thread here.

Ā 

Ā 

Edited by Dave Williams

Hi all,

I did some research including looking at the kit's weapon chart and I decided to install the GBU-12 for the empty pylon. I like the MER racks so I will not install anything with them. So now two 300 gallon tanks, a FLIR pod, 2 MERs and GBU-12. Dai

Ā 

Ā OB7X3w5.jpg

Edited by dai phan

Greetings,

This set of decals will be delivered today and I ordered two just in case. I also have a bunch of older Super Scale/Microscale decals but they are not accurate in size or color ( I have more than 10 schemes. Let me know if anyone is interested ). In the 80's and 90's they were the King of decals but their research department left lots to be desired. This Zotz is not accurate either because the boar emblem should be dark blue rather than black. Superscale also had it wrong. There is a set of Aeromaster set for A7E ( really accurate) offered in Canada retailer but at 70 USD put it out of reach for me. DaiĀ 

Ā 

gHnegJQ.jpg

Ā 

xlt6Ekr.jpg

Edited by dai phan

For the load out some things to consider;

Ā 

1) For the FLIR Pod, was the squadron you are doing a FLIR equipped squadron? Only one squadron in each CAG (except for the last A-7 cruise) was equipped to carry the FLIR so you will need to ensure that the squadron you are doing was indeed a "FLIR Squadron". Also, the FLIR was only authorized on the right inboard station (station 6).

Ā 

2) Time frame - it depends on the time frame you are doing, for example, the FLIR Pod was not introduced to the fleet until July 1979 so if you are doing an aircraft prior to 1979 a FLIR Pod would not be accurate.

Ā 

3) Rarely did the A-7E's carry more than one drop tank so loading two drop tanks wasn't something commonly seen on A-7E's unless you are going to load a buddy store and configure the the aircraft as a tanker. Recommend you put just one drop tank on either inboard stations (station 3 or 6).

Ā 

4) While in A-7E's we carried just about everything in the Navy inventory at the time with the exception of the Sparrow, Phoenix and Harpoon. We normally did practice bombs and Mk 82/83/84 General Purpose bombs but did LGB's, Walleyes, Shrike, HARM and Cluster Bombs in a regular basis.

Ā 

5) AIM-9L/M - while onboard the carrier we would normally carry just one AIM-9L or M (depending on time frame) but did occasionally carry two and on a rare occasion we would even carry 4 (the outboard stations were wired for AIM-9). Recommend one AIM-9L/M on either fuselage Sidewinder station.

Ā 

If you would like assistance with an accurate load out let me know what squadron, time frame and we weapon/stores you want to load and I'll provide recommendations.

Ā 

hth

GW

VA-82 Ordnance 1984-87

6 hours ago, GW8345 said:

VA-83 with black rams head.

Ā 

https://abpic.co.uk/pictures/military-unit/VA-83

Thank you so much for your help! I really appreciate it. This is the model I am duplicating and the head unfortunately has the dark blue color.Ā  Comparison also reveal some errors in the decals dimension. I am telling you. This hobby is taking my OCD to the grandiose scale! The decal is thick but seems to respond somewhat to Micro Sol. In case you wonder this new decal company Zotz is from Mexico and is on Facebook.Ā  DaiĀ 

Ā 

M7yFry0.jpg

7 hours ago, GW8345 said:

For the load out some things to consider;

Ā 

1) For the FLIR Pod, was the squadron you are doing a FLIR equipped squadron? Only one squadron in each CAG (except for the last A-7 cruise) was equipped to carry the FLIR so you will need to ensure that the squadron you are doing was indeed a "FLIR Squadron". Also, the FLIR was only authorized on the right inboard station (station 6).

Ā 

2) Time frame - it depends on the time frame you are doing, for example, the FLIR Pod was not introduced to the fleet until July 1979 so if you are doing an aircraft prior to 1979 a FLIR Pod would not be accurate.

Ā 

3) Rarely did the A-7E's carry more than one drop tank so loading two drop tanks wasn't something commonly seen on A-7E's unless you are going to load a buddy store and configure the the aircraft as a tanker. Recommend you put just one drop tank on either inboard stations (station 3 or 6).

Ā 

4) While in A-7E's we carried just about everything in the Navy inventory at the time with the exception of the Sparrow, Phoenix and Harpoon. We normally did practice bombs and Mk 82/83/84 General Purpose bombs but did LGB's, Walleyes, Shrike, HARM and Cluster Bombs in a regular basis.

Ā 

5) AIM-9L/M - while onboard the carrier we would normally carry just one AIM-9L or M (depending on time frame) but did occasionally carry two and on a rare occasion we would even carry 4 (the outboard stations were wired for AIM-9). Recommend one AIM-9L/M on either fuselage Sidewinder station.

Ā 

If you would like assistance with an accurate load out let me know what squadron, time frame and we weapon/stores you want to load and I'll provide recommendations.

Ā 

hth

GW

VA-82 Ordnance 1984-87

Thank you so much for your input ! I used the kit's weapons chart to choose the ordnance and this is what I have in mind. Station 1 and 8 - 300 gallons tank. station 2 and 7- MER, station 3- GBU-12, station 6 - FLIR, stations 4 and 5 - Sidewinders. The squadron is VA 83 aboard USS Forrestal. DaiĀ 

Hello all,

The decals are damn thick that I had to resort to Walthers's Solvaset. Has been almost 2 hours and the wrinkles do not seem to go away or any improvement noted. I really don't see how things will be any better. DaiĀ 

3 hours ago, dai phan said:

Thank you so much for your input ! I used the kit's weapons chart to choose the ordnance and this is what I have in mind. Station 1 and 8 - 300 gallons tank. station 2 and 7- MER, station 3- GBU-12, station 6 - FLIR, stations 4 and 5 - Sidewinders. The squadron is VA 83 aboard USS Forrestal. DaiĀ 

Putting drop tanks on station 1 and 8 isn't really accurate, no one really put drop tanks on 1 and 8 unless they are ferrying the aircraft somewhere.

Ā 

Also, the FLIR Pod wasn't in service for the time frame you are doing (1977) so if you are going for a historically accurate load out you might want to leave it off.

Ā 

Here's a load out that would be accurate;

Ā 

Station 1 and 8 - GBU-12

Station 2 and 7 - MER

Station 3 and 6 - Drop Tank (or if you want Drop Tanks on station 3 and FLIR Pod on station 6 but it won't be historically accurate)

Station 4 and 5 - AIM-9G/H

Ā 

The above load out would be historically accurate and just a recommendation.

Ā 

hth

GW

Ā 

BTW: The loading diagrams in the kit instructions aren't very accurate, they tend to lean to what is physically possible to be loaded then to what was actually authorized.

Ā 

Ā 

Edited by GW8345
49 minutes ago, Captain Mark said:

Very much enjoying this build, I've been mulling getting an A7 kit after using them in the Wargame franchise of computer games and this WIP is definitely motivating me to pull the trigger and get one started! šŸ‘

Buy one but you better off getting the old Hasegawa kit rather than Hobby Boss. The later has serious outline issues. If you need decals I have tons here. DaiĀ 

1 hour ago, GW8345 said:

Putting drop tanks on station 1 and 8 isn't really accurate, no one really put drop tanks on 1 and 8 unless they are ferrying the aircraft somewhere.

Ā 

Also, the FLIR Pod wasn't in service for the time frame you are doing (1977) so if you are going for a historically accurate load out you might want to leave it off.

Ā 

Here's a load out that would be accurate;

Ā 

Station 1 and 8 - GBU-12

Station 2 and 7 - MER

Station 3 and 6 - Drop Tank (or if you want Drop Tanks on station 3 and FLIR Pod on station 6 but it won't be historically accurate)

Station 4 and 5 - AIM-9G/H

Ā 

The above load out would be historically accurate and just a recommendation.

Ā 

hth

GW

Ā 

BTW: The loading diagrams in the kit instructions aren't very accurate, they tend to lean to what is physically possible to be loaded then to what was actually authorized.

Ā 

Ā 

That is why Hasegawa puts the FLIR on later A7s with low vis scheme. DaiĀ 

Howdy everyone...

After 4 hours and the wrinkles do not go away with repeated applications of Solvaset, I scraped the VA-83 and go for the VA-174.Ā  I find the Zotz decals to be thick and respond poorly to Microsol and Solvaset (bad wrinkles). The set of the VA 184 is made by Eagle Strike ( Aeromaster) and printed by Catograf. 17 year old decals but went on without any issues. DaiĀ 

Ā 

Ktcxu7J.jpg

IAP4U90.jpg

Greetings my fellow modelers...

Today I should be done with the decalsĀ gives way to tomorrow's clear coat and washes. The Aeromaster sheet I am using requiresĀ you to put on the red bars onto the stars and that is quite unnecessary. Why can't they just all print in one?Ā I think that is an additional step that you should not have to do. Also this sheet has error when comes to the wing stars (they should beĀ smaller than the fuselage ones). Just be careful if you end up using thisĀ Eagle Strike (Aeromaster)Ā set on your build. Interesting observation is that when I compare the blue color of the insignias from Super Scale, Micro Scale, Eagle Strike, Zotz, Hasegawa they all have different blue shades. Some are blue while others have dark blue or even approaching black. I just pick a set from Super Scale that looks right and go with it. Will update with more photos when I get home. DaiĀ 

Happy Friday everyone...

Decaling is almost done. I leave out very small stencils because looking at the actual A/C 10 -15 feet away you almost cannot see them. The silver panels at the horizontal tails are home made decals. Pay attention to the intake warning arrows as they should be pointing TOWARD the nose. Some decal companies have them in reversed directionĀ  ( pointing to the tail). Hopefully on Sunday and I can apply the clear coat to seal the decals and start the wash process. DaiĀ 

Ā 

T2AfhHh.jpg

Edited by dai phan
1 hour ago, crackerjazz said:

Looking great, dai phan!Ā  Ā Can`t wait to see her weathered!

I have the Canon EOS T6 Rebel and I need to learn how to take close up shots! That way you all can see the details of my weathering. Weathering is my favorite part of the built because it is the final step before assembly of the components and it hides any errors/imperfection during putty work and painting. DaiĀ 

Edited by dai phan