13 hours ago, dai phan said:

Thank YOU all so much for helping me of my current project. Anyone on Columbia SC area please come over for all the beers and delicious food ( please visit my FB). I will need to stop by my local hobby shop for a bottle of gold paint to finish of the TACTS pod before final assembly. Dai 

No gold needed. The gold you see in pics of the pod are weights that were added for when the pod is used on th e F-18, the weights were not installed on the pods during time frame you are doing.

5 hours ago, GW8345 said:

No gold needed. The gold you see in pics of the pod are weights that were added for when the pod is used on th e F-18, the weights were not installed on the pods during time frame you are doing.

I wish I saw this before I went and bought the gold. Will have to repaint in silver. Thanks so much! Dai 

Greetings,

Got most of the minor components installed. May need to redo the inert Sidewinder since I am not well pleased with it yet. Not so sure if the relative position of the GBU-12 to the pylon is correct or not. This project should be wrapped up soon. Dai 

6ENLgvJ.jpg

QJ399QX.jpg

QVqBYzz.jpg

9hojbaN.jpg

fUSKaVm.jpg

Edited by dai phan

Dai,

Everything looks good, don't change a thing.

When you were talking about gold paint I thought you were going to paint weights on the pod but I see you painted the probe. In real life the probe was a light tan but from a distance it would like gold'ish so I would just leave it. The placement on the GBU-12's looks spot on.

9 hours ago, GW8345 said:

Dai,

Everything looks good, don't change a thing.

When you were talking about gold paint I thought you were going to paint weights on the pod but I see you painted the probe. In real life the probe was a light tan but from a distance it would like gold'ish so I would just leave it. The placement on the GBU-12's looks spot on.

Thank you so much for everything! Dai 

Happy Monday everyone and Happy Memorial Day for us in the USA...

Finally done with the project. I thank all for everything. Your feedbacks have helped me immensely. Dai 

VDI5FrT.jpg

T6C91KV.jpg

4ARCjkC.jpg

lwqRov2.jpg

SPlDEoR.jpg

Edited by dai phan

Things learned from this project: 

1. The Rhino intake trunk- Remove the locating tabs because they will cause the trunk be positioned 3 mm backwards. The wheel well is short so some shimming will be needed.

2. For those who are into high vis schemes, there are two current companies that have them in production. Zotz and Print Scale. Zotz decals in my hands did not do well with setting solution. The wrinkles did not go away. Print Scale unless improved is unusable. They curve up in little balls. 

3. Many high vis decals can be found but printed about 15 or more years. A coat of Microscale Liquid Decal Film is recommended. The CAM pro decal instruction for the fuselage walk way is reversed. Left should be right and vise versa.  

The main issue I had with this build is dealing with old decals that break apart and wrong instructions. That set me back a week waiting for the new decals. I think the Hasegawa A7 is still the best A7 in 1/48 despite its age.  Dai 

Nice work!  How common was it for A-7's to carry laser-guided bombs, since they had no means to designate targets for them?    Don't think I've seen any pics of this configuration before.

15 minutes ago, 11bee said:

Nice work!  How common was it for A-7's to carry laser-guided bombs, since they had no means to designate targets for them?    Don't think I've seen any pics of this configuration before.

While it wasn't an "everyday" weapon the A-7 did carry LGB's and the aircrew/ordnanceman had to maintain a qual for them.

Usually we had the A-6 guys lase for us, sometimes we had ground pounders do the lasing.

5 hours ago, GW8345 said:

While it wasn't an "everyday" weapon the A-7 did carry LGB's and the aircrew/ordnanceman had to maintain a qual for them.

Usually we had the A-6 guys lase for us, sometimes we had ground pounders do the lasing.

Thank you for your answer because I wouldn't know what to answer ! 🙂 Dai 

6 hours ago, BuNo02100 said:

Turned out great, what’s next in line?

BW

Great Wall Hobby T-33 A 1/48 . Expected to get started this weekend. I already started a thread in this forum. Dai 

Edited by dai phan
  • 4 months later...

Everything is looking good your demarcation line is perfect and to scale there are a few things that can ruin a build out of scale camouflage demarcation lines and over weathering . Be sure to stay true to the photos don't make up weathering that doesn't exist. 

That C130 is a huge model I have a PBY in mind the only thing stopping me is where do I put it?

Look forward to seeing your completed A-7