Hasegawa F-16 Block 30 Question

Hello, are there any F-16 builders here that could advise on the best 1:48 Hasegawa kit to use to make a block 30 F-16  (I'm looking to start a build using the twobobs 482nd Fighter Wing Florida Makos sheet). I have a couple of spare F-16CJ Block 50 kits, and a F-16 C Night Falcon kit. Can I get away with using one of these?

Thank you! 

-Chris

The CJ kit should have all you need. Use the GE engine nozzle and the original unbulged main gear doors. 

The inlet depends on if you’re building an early or late Blk 30. Both NSI & MCID inlets should be included in the CJ kit. Post a tail # and we can tell which inlet to use. 

Hi all, thanks for replies. Is the Tamiya considered a superior kit? I have 3 Hasegawas in my stash. I'm returning to models after a  hiatus, and figured if I can save money using one I already have that would be perfect.

Habu2 - regarding which inlets to use - does the attached help?

Also, do you know what a 'standard' training loadout might look like? I'd like to add something besdies just the external tanks for visual interest. I can't find any pictures of this specific aircraft with anything but the external tanks, but have found other pics of 93 FS Makoes with training loadouts that maybe will be a good start. Perhaps, after I find a picture I can post here - may need help to ID what's loaded.

Lastly, does anyone know what the appropriate tint to apply to the canopy would be? To my eyes, it looks like the front is a mix between gold/smoke and the rear piece almost clear...

Sorry for all the questions, but I really appreciate the replies here! 🙂

tail number.jpg

canopy.jpg

I only mentioned Tamiya above because IMHO their F-16s are significantly better than Hasegawa's and, like many of their other kits, are an engineering/building experience not to be missed. OTOH, if you've got the Hasegawa kits in your stash, they're certainly worth building.

51 minutes ago, jbryan911 said:

I agree the Tamiya kit is superior to the Hasegawa kit, and the specific boxing above has all the parts to build any 25/30/32/40/42/50/52 (but not 52+) as long as your specific build does not require the parabrake tail extension.

There are so many similarities shared between the Tamiya and Kinetic kits that you can kitbash details from the Kinetic kit like the tail extension, dorsal spine, CFTs, even the two-seat canopy/cockpit to make the Tamiya kit into any flavor of Viper.

The Hasegawa kits are still pretty darned nice though, especially considering the design and the molds are almost 40 years old...

Confirming 87-0290 is a Block 30H so GE/MCID combo. Most Hasegawa C/D kits have the GE engine (sprues H & L) but not all have the MCID inlet (sprue T)

Edited by habu2
  • 4 weeks later...

Hello, does any know if 87290 has wing strenghtening plates? I can make out fuselage strengthening plates, but am having a hard seeing if it has the wing strenghtening plates and or/RAM panels? I'd like to use the appropriate after market pieces on my build. Kind regards,49868409583_86058f965d_h.jpg

49869248607_043aedc792_h.jpg

87-290 definitely has RAM panels fitted for this period. As for wing strengthening plates, I would’ve imagined that both wing and fuselage were done at the same time(someone else will know for sure).

Infact I’ve looked again and wing plates are fitted, you can just make out the round part at the rear of the plate, although they’re not as protrusive as the fuselage plates.

Edited by scotthldr
  • 1 month later...

Do guys know what is a good tool is to rescribe the small rivet holes on the forward fusealge that surround the joint that meets the nose cone? I'm having to do a bit more sanding than I would have liked to get a smooth transition to the nose cone on this Tamiya kit, and am starting to lose some of these rivets.