South Vietnamese Bearcat

26 minutes ago, RCNFAN said:

I'm using the  Hobbyboss kit # 80357 . You can still find the Hobbycraft one fairly easily which is also in the Academy boxing but from what I've read the Hobbyboss one has a more accurate cowling/nose area but really I have seen the Hobbycraft one build up nicely and it looks like a Bearcat to me so personal choice there. I went to Hanoi and Danang last year so I was reading a lot more about this before going and this Bearcat got my interest along with Trumpeter's A-37 Dragonfly but that one will have to wait as I'm starting the Bearcat next. 

I've finished one Hobbycraft Bearcat and am in the process of building three others.   One as VNAF.   The only thing really wrong with the kit is the shape of the cowl.   You can purchase the Obscuro replacement which is fantastic or do like I did and replace the forward third of the Hobbycraft cowling with the forward part of the Testors cowling.   

One thing to watch out for is which is the right Bearcat versions served in the theater. I think the -1 and -1B were (short tail) in Indochina. I don't think the -2 ever made it there. That said, someone is gonna prove me wrong.

Another problem is, which marking carried the cannons or machine guns. The Acaademy/Hobbycraft kit was criticized for the tail, for which represented neither the -1B or -2. Another issue widely discussed was the nose cone shape. The wheel wells also had accuracy issues. But I think all those can be fixed with the Lonestar upgrade resins. I don't know much about the Hobbyboss kit.

I went to this for reference help. They had a lot of useful info, but they only had French wings.

http://www.frenchwings.net/indochina/gallery/

23 hours ago, trietmcam said:

One thing to watch out for is which is the right Bearcat versions served in the theater. I think the -1 and -1B were (short tail) in Indochina. I don't think the -2 ever made it there. That said, someone is gonna prove me wrong.

Another problem is, which marking carried the cannons or machine guns. The Acaademy/Hobbycraft kit was criticized for the tail, for which represented neither the -1B or -2. Another issue widely discussed was the nose cone shape. The wheel wells also had accuracy issues. But I think all those can be fixed with the Lonestar upgrade resins. I don't know much about the Hobbyboss kit.

I went to this for reference help. They had a lot of useful info, but they only had French wings.

http://www.frenchwings.net/indochina/gallery/

I agreed with Triet said, he absolutely correct. I think one of the reason Hobbycraft  made the kit with an extra vertical tail for -2, because they focus on a later release for F-8F2 version, but a big ERROR still remain on the kit it was the exhaust trough, it was too long for the F-8F1 version. 

So if you build this -1 version you're definitely need to modify this plus the cowling...  for the cowling I be able to sand it down the edge of the front cowling and it be turn out not to bad at all, here's mine built in year ago...

f8f1_mod.thumb.JPG.c88d9eb3b71c391695267b80d4b60f9f.JPG

Edited by let_models

Just compared your model to a museums -1 and I see what you mean about that exhaust shield needing attention. Nice weathered finish on your model, what do you use for the aluminum colour

On 4/18/2020 at 4:00 PM, RCNFAN said:

Just compared your model to a museums -1 and I see what you mean about that exhaust shield needing attention. Nice weathered finish on your model, what do you use for the aluminum colour

Hi Ray, I built this kit a while ago...at 2010, if I remember right I used a very cheap paint , a small 1/4 oz. bottle from Testors, mixing up between Met. Aluminium and Flat Silver? using a very light weathering with acrylic gray+yellow paint, then apply a layer of semi gloss sealer over. Hope it help! Cheer 🙂

Let_models,

Edited by let_models

Nice job with the old small testors bottle👍.   I'm going to try out AKs Metalizer for the first time and I'm now using Winsor and Newtons Acrylic flat which I really like. Cheers Ray

On 4/13/2020 at 3:37 PM, let_models said:

May be this picture was the one  Ray reading the story of a US Airman try to make sure...it was still airworthy! a silver color with tail code 'E' 95338?!

let_models

bearcat_E95338.jpg.0093fc802897bac8904eb9089dbd52d0.jpg

I have another picture for 'the 5338' being refuel and some of the crews ( GI for sure) standing around...look like the 'Bear' is ready for take off after that!

Interesting I look through the details of this Bearcat , it was a reconnaissance bird, the camera pot is clearly seen on the fuselage...too bad we didn't see other camera under the fuselage!  normally the recon. bird have some camera underneath, did any one know the configuration of the camera on this bird?!  Cheer 🙂

let_models,

49799718541_baf7fbdd79_c.jpg

Edited by let_models

Good Eye!  Also what is the wire at the end of the fuselage under the rudder. Interesting to see if they actually took it up or maybe they were justing seeing if it would start. 

On 4/20/2020 at 8:00 AM, Cubs2jets said:

One more picture I found while Google-surfing other things Vietnamese.

maxresdefault1.jpg

Nice picture! I think this one at TSN AB tail code 'I' ?!... in front of officer club Huynh Huu Bac. 👍

I don't know much about Hobby Boss kit, if Ray have some sprues shot...really appreciate it! Cheer 🤨

let_models, 

Thanks for all these pics Let_models. I have the Hobbyboss Bearcat and the Quickboost engine coming from Model Hobbies in the UK, they should be here soon but they did say to expect some delays with Covid and the postal service. Once they are here I'll snap some pics of both and post them. Cheers Ray

• 3 weeks later...

Letmodels was looking for some sprue shots of the Hobby Boss Bearcat. I received the kit and aftermarket finally from Model Hobbies in the UK and took pics. I've been trying to get my MAC to resize the pics to a size that can be posted on here but It just keeps the spinning wheel of thinking going and never resizes it. I'll be trying again and I've also taken the pics on the lowest resolution on my camera which is still to big to post here. Trying to sort it out  Ray

The above link from C2j are better pics than mine but with some help from the forum I think I have figured out how to resize pics, the above pic was a quick test of a not so good shot of Quick boosts engine compared to the kits.