South Vietnamese Bearcat

I did a google search looking for 1/48 South Vietnamese markings for a F8F Bearcat and all I could come up with is the markings that were supplied in the Hobbycraft kit. Anyone know if anyone else made a decal sheet for the Bearcat. Thanks Ray

Thanks Triet. I've seen the top one but not the other two. I read a story that a US Airman saw one at a base in 1964 and he was pretty sure it was still airworthy. I'm taking some measurements to see if the stars and bars are the same size as the ones for the Skyraider but its the other markings that will be hard. Ray

35-69 was photographed at Nha Trang airbase. It was a “gate guard” for the VNAF aircraft maintenance school. You’ll notice that the badge on the cowling in the first photo matches the badge on the building in the second photograph. I photographed this Bearcat in 1970. It was pretty shopworn by then.

Mig

Hi Rob, thanks for the insight on that pic, it explains a lot. It is amazing the info you can get on this site from people with first hand knowledge. I once heard back from a retired RAF tech who actually worked with the rockets on Wyverns when I was looking for some color info. Cheers Ray

They might and I am looking at them, I also have a set of A-37 decals coming and I'm going to check out the size of the stars and bars on that sheet to see if they will work. Thanks Ray

On 4/4/2020 at 3:46 PM, RCNFAN said:

Thanks Triet. I've seen the top one but not the other two. I read a story that a US Airman saw one at a base in 1964 and he was pretty sure it was still airworthy. I'm taking some measurements to see if the stars and bars are the same size as the ones for the Skyraider but its the other markings that will be hard. Ray

May be this picture was the one  Ray reading the story of a US Airman try to make sure...it was still airworthy! a silver color with tail code 'E' 95338?!

let_models

bearcat_E95338.jpg.0093fc802897bac8904eb9089dbd52d0.jpg

Hi 

Thats an Excellent Photo!! Where did you find it.  The story I read didn't have a photo and I can't find it again so I can't verify which airbase it was at but that is the exact scheme that I want to replicate so thanks again for this photo.  I have a set of decals from an A-37 that should be here soon and I'll see if I can use them. I realize they only used the Bearcat for a short period of time but there is very little info out there on them that I can find so appreciate the help. Cheers Ray

2 hours ago, RCNFAN said:

Hi 

Thats an Excellent Photo!! Where did you find it.  The story I read didn't have a photo and I can't find it again so I can't verify which airbase it was at but that is the exact scheme that I want to replicate so thanks again for this photo.  I have a set of decals from an A-37 that should be here soon and I'll see if I can use them. I realize they only used the Bearcat for a short period of time but there is very little info out there on them that I can find so appreciate the help. Cheers Ray

You said a set of A-37 decal coming soon... what scale you would like for the Bear??...1/48 scale was available with Hobbycraft and Academy box, may be little hard to find now,  I believed the Hobbycraft box come with 3 scheme all for VNAF bird 👍, the Academy kit has this silver one with the tail code 'E  95338' that we're talking about...Academy box come with identical parts with Hobbycraft.. but the clear part much more crystal clear and thinner!  cheer😃

let_models

Academyhobbycraft_Bear.JPG

I am doing it in 1/48 scale with the hobby boss kit. I do know about those two kits but not sure on the quality of the Hobbycraft decals especially old ones but I will look for those two kits at the next model show swap meet if these A-37 decals don't work. Our spring show in May is cancelled as you could imagine but hoping that the Vancouver fall show will happen. Cheers Ray

3 hours ago, RCNFAN said:

I am doing it in 1/48 scale with the hobby boss kit. I do know about those two kits but not sure on the quality of the Hobbycraft decals especially old ones but I will look for those two kits at the next model show swap meet if these A-37 decals don't work. Our spring show in May is cancelled as you could imagine but hoping that the Vancouver fall show will happen. Cheers Ray

Ray believe it or not but the Hobbycraft decals in the black boxes were great. Maybe use some MS decal coat and they should be good to go? Every so often they also threw in some random marking that had nothing to do with the schemes in the box.

Now you got me interested in this scheme. I had no real interest in the Bearcat but those SVNAF schemes look nice. Probably the photos shared here is peaking my interest. Now to go find the kit.

I will definitely check them out if I find an old kit, sad to see that Hobbycraft is no more but luckily I have a few of their hard to find Canadian subjects in the stash.  Thats exactly how I got on this subject, I read something and liked the scheme better than just a GSB scheme for the Bearcat.

On 4/7/2020 at 8:11 AM, trietmcam said:

Some had letters on tail. Note the set of louvers. I never knew they were installed in Indochina.

Hi Triet, how are you doing? Nice to hear from you again!

Also I would like to share with you guys some of the pictures of VNAF Bearcat... most of them are gate guard,  it has been a while, more than 45 years ago...

Cheer 😃

let_models

49775471146_dc6645691a_o.jpg

*at Nha Trang AB

49770483303_905bcfb252_o.jpg

*also at Nha Trang AB with some fellow Air Cadet cir 1972  Note: new logo image on the cowling ( TTHLKQ = Air Training Center)

49771027091_9768b982db_o.jpg*at Bien Hoa AB ?

49771339887_65bd4fd637_o.jpg 

*at VNAF Headquarter TSN AB

Edited by let_models
10 hours ago, let_models said:

You said a set of A-37 decal coming soon... what scale you would like for the Bear??...1/48 scale was available with Hobbycraft and Academy box, may be little hard to find now,  I believed the Hobbycraft box come with 3 scheme all for VNAF bird 👍, the Academy kit has this silver one with the tail code 'E  95338' that we're talking about...Academy box come with identical parts with Hobbycraft.. but the clear part much more crystal clear and thinner!  cheer😃

let_models

Academyhobbycraft_Bear.JPG

The decals that came in these kits are both really good.   On par with any Superscale decals.   Aeromaster also did a sheet with 5338 and a couple Thai BCats on it.  

On 4/4/2020 at 9:59 AM, RCNFAN said:

I did a google search looking for 1/48 South Vietnamese markings for a F8F Bearcat and all I could come up with is the markings that were supplied in the Hobbycraft kit. Anyone know if anyone else made a decal sheet for the Bearcat. Thanks Ray

Ray, let me know if one of these interests you.   I have lots of VNAF Bearcat markings left over.

Hi Drifterdon, If I could get the Academy markings off you that would be excellent, let me know how much you want for them. Thanks Ray

Also thanks for posting more  pics Let_models, excellent references especially from someone who was there. Cheers Ray

So with all this talk about the SVNAF Bearcats it has really peaked my interest. I see that Hobbyboss has a 1/48th kit so that might work considering the HC kit is hard to find. Probably issues with the kit but don’t really care too much as there are a couple of Quickboost sets to enhance a bit. I am more interested in doing the SVNAF markings in that natural metal scheme. It seems that Hobbyboss also issued the kit in several markings including French in that blue scheme so that is cool. If I pick up the kit maybe I can scrounge the markings from the Hobbycraft kits.

I'm using the  Hobbyboss kit # 80357 . You can still find the Hobbycraft one fairly easily which is also in the Academy boxing but from what I've read the Hobbyboss one has a more accurate cowling/nose area but really I have seen the Hobbycraft one build up nicely and it looks like a Bearcat to me so personal choice there. I went to Hanoi and Danang last year so I was reading a lot more about this before going and this Bearcat got my interest along with Trumpeter's A-37 Dragonfly but that one will have to wait as I'm starting the Bearcat next.