Revell 1:80 Northrop SM-62 Snark Missile & Launch Base

This model was first introduced in the early 1960s by Revell as one of its "box scale" kits. Molded in red plastic and still virtually flash free, this "History Makers" release is dated 1985 and marked as 1/96th scale, though in reality it measures out to 1/80th scale. The parts and decals come in a sealed bag. The base and launching platform require painting in gray and yellow with black, gray, and silver highlights. I painted the missile gloss red, as the decals provide all the markings necessary and the white portions are opaque enough so there is no bleed through. They are the best part of the kit. Various labels and warning decals are also provided for the base and platform, though not mentioned in the instructions, one must look very carefully at the box top finished model to determine placement. I highly recommend having Micro-Sol & Set available as some decals require bending around leading or trailing edges. There are a couple of minor fit problems in gluing the fuselage halves together and then the wing to the fuselage.  I recommend using liquid cement and gluing the fuselage in small sections to maintain proper alignment.  I also recommend trimming the small mounting pin from the bottom of the wing, as leaving it in place caused a slight misalignment on my build. I masked and painted the base and platform parts before assembling them. I assembled the missile, wing tanks and booster rockets separately before painting them. One note: the starboard side air scoop mounting tab is molded incorrectly and will cause you to mount the air scoop backwards if the tab is not trimmed off. The platform assembly was a little tricky because the instructions were a little vague. Once again, I referred to the box top photos. I spent about 10 hours on this kit over three days. I wasn't looking for a home run, just a base hit, but I thoroughly enjoyed it and feel like I hit a good triple with three RBIs! Highly recommended for a moderately skilled modeler.  Two thumbs up!

001.JPG.59b867ede57c8e7153f454a6ccc21773.JPG

Edited by Dutch

Photo #3.

003.JPG.f44a5c03d074618a9050f8b40a8b176f.JPG

This will be an award for my office, hence the wooden plaque, military medallion and a certificate will be mounted under the acetate.  I will add the engraved brass placard later.

Edited by Dutch

Good job on your Snark! :thumbsup:

I have one of those in my stash that I started on years ago. I set it aside when I got the Lindberg 1/48 SM-62 Snark kit. I plan to convert it to either the XRSM-62 or XRB-62 photo-reconnaissance version. Good thing I managed to get a copy of the blueprints, showing the camera installation.

On a related topic, I was able to look over what is left of the Snark launching bunkers in Sandestin, FL. They used to call that portion of the Gulf of Mexico "Snark Infested" waters, because of all the Snarks that went down there. :rofl:

Larry

Edited by ReccePhreak

Thanks Larry,  I'd be interested in those photos of the launch platforms.  I too have the Lindberg 1/48 SM-62 Snark kit, but found it too large to mount to the plaque.  I would be interested to find a 1/48 prime mover for the launch trailer, either a IH, Autocar, or Ford tractor.

470993919_T2eC16ZHJGMFFomOwUNHBRndY9IpQ!60_12.jpg.2e07e1363b3474a1e4d5cadd44ecb0a1.jpg 

range.jpg.0240a340a46e3bc4141422ba75559f08.jpg

14 minutes ago, Dutch said:

Thanks Larry,  I'd be interested in those photos of the launch platforms.  I too have the Lindberg 1/48 SM-62 Snark kit, but found it too large to mount to the plaque.  I would be interested to find a 1/48 prime mover for the launch trailer, either a IH, Autocar, or Ford tractor.

Hi Dutch,

The only thing left of the launch bunkers was the concrete walls, and they weren't  in the best shape. All the launching hardware was long since removed by the USAF when they abandoned that site. I never got any pics of what was left of the bunkers, and since I'm retired from Cox Communications, I no longer have the current gate code to get into that area.

Larry

Larry,

I found a 1956 Ford F-100 pickup, White Gas Truck and 1955 Chevy 2-Ton Stake Truck, all in 1/48 scale. I plan on a little diorama of Presque Isle, Maine. I will modify the Stake truck into a prime mover for the missile trailer, painted yellow. I will also paint the White gas truck yellow, but paint the Ford pickup, USAF blue.

Edited by Dutch

Don't forget the Kenworth tractor and trailer , also from Revell.  I have built all of these kits and amazed at the parts fit for kits from the 1950's.  The real downside is no clear parts.  I smash molded windshields for the Ford and Chevy.  The White and Kenworth have flat windshields.  All the other windows are flat.

C2j

C2j, Thanks for the tip on the Revell Honest John with transporter. And thanks for the warning about no windshields! I will have to see what I can do.  The Chevy 2-ton & Ford F-100 may prove tricky, although the Ford looks like it does have clear parts. 

K/r,

Dutch 

On 4/5/2020 at 9:25 PM, ReccePhreak said:

On a related topic, I was able to look over what is left of the Snark launching bunkers in Sandestin, FL. They used to call that portion of the Gulf of Mexico "Snark Infested" waters, because of all the Snarks that went down there. :rofl:

Larry

Interesting...  I've been up to one of only two bases that housed operational Snarks - Presque Isle, ME (pretty much the northern tip of ME, a beautiful area).   The launch pads are still intact (exposed concrete pads with an earth berm around them, along with the missile housing and storage building (very long wooded "warehouse" type buildings).   Most of the other barracks and admin building have been converted to civilian use.   Pretty cool to think at one point, nuclear armed missiles sat on alert in such a peaceful, quiet area.

I think the Snark was operational up there for about a year and then the whole program was scrapped.  Talk about a waste of taxpayer $!

Here's a picture of the base "back in the day"

snark-hangers.jpg

Nice work on the kit Dutch! 

Edited by 11bee
16 hours ago, Dutch said:

C2j, Thanks for the tip on the Revell Honest John with transporter. And thanks for the warning about no windshields! I will have to see what I can do.  The Chevy 2-ton & Ford F-100 may prove tricky, although the Ford looks like it does have clear parts. 

K/r,

Dutch 

Hey Dutch,

What kind of time frame are you realistically working with to build the Chevy and Ford?

I'm curious about your boxing of the Ford and if it has "glass".  I know Atlantis got all four of these molds.  At the 2019 Nats in Chattanooga I talked to the guy running Atlantis and he said they would all be re-poped.  When I queried about "glass" he shrugged and suggested they could cut one new mold to do the "glass" for all four kits.  I'm not holding my breath.  Making the glass isn't hard, just time consuming.

They are surprisingly good kits over-all.

C2j

@Cubs2jets

Maybe, I have a different Ford F-100 kit.  Anyway, I'll let you know when it arrives in a couple of days.  I was at the 2019 Nats in Chattanooga too, but was not interested in 1:48 trucks then, so didn't think to talk to Atlantis.   If I have to make clear parts, I can use some flexible clear plastic from leftover item packaging I have around the house.

@11bee

Yes, I plan on modelling a launch pad from Presque Isle, Maine circa 1960-61.  I think most of the vehicles I am securing for the Lindberg Snark  are the correct era or a little earlier, but plausibly still in service in 1960.

R/ Dutch

Edited by Dutch

Thanks Paul.  This was a really quick build.  No added detail, no sanding of rivets, no putty.  Painted with Krylon rattle cans.  I took those photos soon after mounting and the decals had not even settled down yet.  The nose decals has now conformed to the nose curve nicely.  However, the model has since developed a split in the upper fuselage, just behind the wing.  The fuselage seam alignment was tricky while gluing, and in hindsight, I should have glued plasticard tabs along the inside of the fuselage to reinforce the seams. Warning to all!  R. Dutch

Edited by Dutch