USS Theodore Roosevelt

8 minutes ago, 305swag said:

After seeing how many of my fellow Americans have acted and are acting over the Chinese flu, I pray we never get invaded by a foreign power. 

After I corrected myself on a rude comment that I made when I already stated to leave politics out of this I'm going to ask you to change your comment about the name of the virus. It's prejudice and wrong to call it that. It's also deeply controversial due to politics.

I have a lovely USS Theodore Roosevelt hat. Its nice.

Just thought I would say that before this is locked down.:action-smiley-082:

Edited by phantom
17 minutes ago, Whiskey said:

So is the Zika virus offensive? It came from an area around the Zika forest. And the Ebola Virus was named so because of it's geographical location of the origin. If anything, to just lump an entire continent to "black" is pretty offensive if you ask me. It's not like this is the first virus to be named for the location of origin. But hey, whatever, must be racist because...well because they said so. 

Edited by niart17
4 minutes ago, niart17 said:

So is the Zika virus offensive? It came from an area around the Zika forest. And the Ebloa Virus was named so because of it's geographical location of the origin. If anything, to just lump an entire continent to "black" is pretty offensive if you ask me. It's not like this is the first virus to be names for the location of origin. But hey, whatever, must be racist because...well because they said so. 

The difference is that there is not a culture or people called Zika or Ebola. This is basic racism 101. 

Please read:

https://penntoday.upenn.edu/news/why-asian-american-racism-rampant-during-coronavirus

13 minutes ago, Whiskey said:

Ebola was named after a river in Africa, the area it originated from.

What about the Lyme Disease, MERS Virus, West Nile Virus, the Spanish Flu, German Measles, are they "controversial" also because they are named after an AREA?

3 minutes ago, Whiskey said:

The difference is that there is not a culture or people called Zika or Ebola. This is basic racism 101. 

Please read:

https://penntoday.upenn.edu/news/why-asian-american-racism-rampant-during-coronavirus

No, you saying "I guess Ebola is the 'black" virus then eh" is basic racism 101.

There is a German and Spanish culture/people, I don't see any of your "sources" refraining from using those names.

Edited by GW8345

Refer to my previous post. The fact that I am even having to explain really does show how ignorant and pathetic American citizens have become. Showing any level of human decency has evaporated.

2 minutes ago, Whiskey said:

Refer to my previous post. The fact that I am even having to explain really does show how ignorant and pathetic American citizens have become. Showing any level of human decency has evaporated.

Perhaps the ignorant and pathetic thing is assigning hatred to an innocent use of terms. But good on you to feel so much better looking down on people for the use of a term. I'm sure you're MUCH better then anyone using that term. good grief people!

3 minutes ago, Whiskey said:

Well, I am a deplorable, and proud of it.

1 minute ago, niart17 said:

Perhaps the ignorant and pathetic thing is assigning hatred to an innocent use of terms. But good on you to feel so much better looking down on people for the use of a term. I'm sure you're MUCH better then anyone using that term. good grief people!

Tell that to the people that have been the victims of said hatred because of the association of the term?

7 minutes ago, Whiskey said:

Tell that to the people that have been the victims of said hatred because of the association of the term?

Look I apologize for being so harsh perhaps. But I am a bit tired of people taking EVERYTHING and making it seem offensive. Are there ignorant people who are going to look down on Chinese because of this? I'm sure there are. But that doesn't mean that every time someone uses a term it's intended with malice. But people seem so high strung lately that you practically can't talk without being labeled. The outrage culture is getting really old, really fast. And no offense, but your neck of the woods is ground zero for that attitude.

Edited by niart17
17 minutes ago, niart17 said:

Look I apologize for being so harsh perhaps. But I am a bit tired of people taking EVERYTHING and making it seem offensive. Are there ignorant people who are going to look down on Chinese because of this? I'm sure there are. But that doesn't mean that every time someone uses a term it's intended with malice. But people seem so high strung lately that you practically can't talk without being labeled. The outrage culture is getting really old, really fast. And no offense, but your neck of the woods is ground zero for that attitude.

You're right. Everything being taken out of context and being easily offensive is very tiring. The problem, as I see it, is that no one actually takes the time to correct any of the ignorance that continues to spread, whether it's from my neck of the woods or from somewhere else where they have the exact opposite line of thought, but the same level of extremity. I have my own opinions about both sides of the table and quite frankly anyone that labels themselves as an R or a D go stick their heads where the sun don't shine. In this country you're either one of them or the other. There can be nothing else apparently.

Hell this whole conversation has blown up, some of it my doing. My level of outrage that the 3rd highest civilian authority for the Navy actually made the type of comments that he did to uniformed service members while they are going through the crap they are going through isn't shared by others. That may be even a bigger shame. 

38 minutes ago, GW8345 said:

Ebola was named after a river in Africa, the area it originated from.

What about the Lyme Disease, MERS Virus, West Nile Virus, the Spanish Flu, German Measles, are they "controversial" also because they are named after an AREA?

The difference is that when a high level politician (who shall remain nameless) makes a career out of race baiting to energize his base, stuff like the "Chinese Virus" take on a different meaning and has additional implications.  Words have consequences bud, just google the stories of Chinese-Americans who have been harassed or worse due to being associated with the "Chinese Virus".    

2 hours ago, GW8345 said:

Yes, I was in the Navy, 20.5 years with over 4.5 years of time on Aircraft Carriers with a little bit of time on the Roosevelt.

I am fully aware what goes into a port visit and I also know that a port visit can be cancelled with ease.

Just because you read something on the internet doesn't mean it's true.

If you want to know what goes on onboard a Navy ship I recommend you go down to your local Navy Recruiter and raise your right hand. There are things that go on onboard navy ships that are none of the public's business, it's call OPSEC.

1)  Thank you for your service!

2) If it's so easy to cancel a port visit, why didn't CINCPAC and State Dept do it?

3) OK, so if you don't believe my source on how many sailors have been tested so far, provide your source for your assumption.  Honestly, the fact that this far into the situation and the Navy still hasn't been able to test more than half the sailors is a joke.  We've got plenty of test kits, our President stated a couple of weeks ago that anyone who needed a test could get one and our test kits were "beautiful".  Why can't we get a few thousand more of those beautiful test kits out to Guam?

4) I'm familiar with OPSEC.  OPSEC wasn't the reason for firing this poor guy, it was politics.   

Edited by 11bee
13 minutes ago, 11bee said:

The difference is that when a high level politician (who shall remain nameless) makes a career out of race baiting to energize his base, stuff like the "Chinese Virus" take on a different meaning and has additional implications.  Words have consequences bud, just google the stories of Chinese-Americans who have been harassed or worse due to being associated with the "Chinese Virus".    

😂 is that you Bernie? I didn’t know you build models😂

Edited by 305swag
24 minutes ago, 11bee said:

1)  Thank you for your service!

2) If it's so easy to cancel a port visit, why didn't CINCPAC and State Dept do it?

3) OK, so if you don't believe my source on how many sailors have been tested so far, provide your source for your assumption.  Honestly, the fact that this far into the situation and the Navy still hasn't been able to test more than half the sailors is a joke.  We've got plenty of test kits, our President stated a couple of weeks ago that anyone who needed a test could get one and our test kits were "beautiful".  Why can't we get a few thousand more of those beautiful test kits out to Guam?

4) I'm familiar with OPSEC.  OPSEC wasn't the reason for firing this poor guy, it was politics.   

1) Thank you.

2) Because the Skipper didn't request it, if he was so concerned about his crew he should have requested the port visit be cancelled. He gets daily briefings, he knew the situation with the virus.

3) My sources are official sources (which I will not share), not some website with an agenda.

4) OPSEC - not discussing/releasing Operational Security information in the public domain, did broke that rule and thus was removed from command.

And no offense, you find politics in just about everything.

2 hours ago, phantom said:

I have a lovely USS Theodore Roosevelt hat. Its nice.

Just thought I would say that before this is locked down.:action-smiley-082:

You should post a picture of it 😀

6 hours ago, GW8345 said:

IMO he needed to be fired, from what I'm hearing he went outside the CoC, publicly released sensitive/classified info and was thinking too emotionally to be an effective leader, he needed to be removed.

He didn't even go to the Battle Group Commander, who is a couple of knee-knockers down on the same ship!

My question is, how did he ever get screened for command in the first place?

The "We are not at war. Sailors do not need to die......" thing is bullcrap, if that was the case why did his carrier conduct flight ops?

If I remember right the fellow was relieved of his command. Think Congress has to terminate him.  Whatever it be, he screwed the pooch. I was in a 65 man company that stayed in the field when over half had the flue (Hong Kong flue to be exact). There was no thought about this what so ever! I was on another OP when over two thirds of us got walking pneumonia, and another group was getting 21 day rabies shots. We stayed!  I lost my squad twice. The first time they went nuts and raided replacement depots. The second time we put together four kids and called it a squad. Not a real good one, but we did the best we knew how. All the previous was in combat. What would they do if the got the flue bug and were in combat? 

gary